Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: The Morality of Killing  (Read 14517 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Morality of Killing
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 09:28:51 pm »

TL;DR:for the TL;DR: Kill for food, exterminate useless people who just eat food and get free stuff.

You know I could VERY easily bring a godwin point on that ?
My cousin has Down's syndrome. Should we kill her because she'll never be able to act remotely (or being useless, as you said) ?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 09:29:17 pm »

Whoops, can't believe I missed this one:
I suppose, does intelligence level excuse torture?

I don't really think so. I mean. Maybe technically yes, but once you go past a certain intelligence level you can't torture the thing. And the level where it would be okay is far below that.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »

So Tom and Jerry walk into real life. . . and Tom toys with Jerry before mutilating and eating him.

I suppose, does intelligence level excuse torture?

... In a sense, I suppose the answer would be yes. It's more complicated than that, because that is an instinctual thing cats do to train their hunting skills, as opposed to something they do because they enjoy the suffering of another. But yes. To me at least. All opinion on my end for this. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 09:31:04 pm »

Killing a sentient being is justifiable if it's done in self defense, and while they're aggressing as well. So killing someone who is actively trying to rob/kill/maim you is okay, killing someone who isn't, and killing someone who WAS trying to rob/kill/maim you but is no longer actively attacking you isn't either.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:20 pm »

Basically it comes down to the vast amount of extenuating circumstances that apply to any situation.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

Killing a sentient being is justifiable if it's done in self defense, and while they're aggressing as well. So killing someone who is actively trying to rob/kill/maim you is okay, killing someone who isn't, and killing someone who WAS trying to rob/kill/maim you but is no longer actively attacking you isn't either.
Well I'd say it's not if the intent is to kill; if the intent is to defend ones self and killing is accidental sure, otherwise no.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 09:33:23 pm »

I'm not sure about this one, it depends on where you draw the line on trying. Does about to try count? How about planing to? How about having a overwhelming probability of going to plan to?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:45 pm »

TL;DR:for the TL;DR: Kill for food, exterminate useless people who just eat food and get free stuff.

You know I could VERY easily bring a godwin point on that ?
My cousin has Down's syndrome. Should we kill her because she'll never be able to act remotely (or being useless, as you said) ?

Well, that's different, that isn't her fault.
I understand I may have been offensive with my posting by not being as specific as I should have been, for that I apologize, but under my rule, people with disabilities would at least try to be helped, we would have so much more funding to research stuff like that.
No, I would not kill people who CAN'T help themselves, is what i'm saying. I would try to help them become regular people who CAN do stuff.
Again, I apologize for not being clearer.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:42 pm »

Basically, your point is: We should kill the people who CHOOSE not to produce, but not the people that CANNOT produce.
He's fucking with us.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:01 pm »

I'm not sure about this one, it depends on where you draw the line on trying. Does about to try count? How about planing to? How about having a overwhelming probability of going to plan to?

Helping someone who is going to do any of the above? I mean, there's so much grey area that it's all messed up. What about collateral damage?

Am I morally justified to take out the whole city block of innocents to make sure that that bomb workshop's dead? If I said in no uncertain terms that "everyone in this city should leave" a week ahead? Am I justified in serving food to the guy who is going to be doing the destroying of the city block?

Lots of grey area. Too much to give any real answer, I think.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 09:38:01 pm »

Basically, your point is: We should kill the people who CHOOSE not to produce, but not the people that CANNOT produce.

Yes, thank you.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:02 pm »

Yes, thank you.

That's a much better point, then. However, does your uncle have a right to support said deadbeats if he wants to? I mean, I'm justified in spending my money however I choose, within reason, right?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »

Yes, thank you.
Sounds like a position that would be strongly supportive of reinstating child labor. Consequences, consequences... produce or die seems like a silly thing to attempt to actually institute.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 09:40:15 pm »

Well, that's different, that isn't her fault.

This still has the same issue, where do you draw on fault? What about a super depressed person? What about someone who had a accident because of stupid reasons and is unable to work? (such as being permanently hurt in a car accident they caused by them drinking?)

Not to mention physiology is not a solved thing, how can you really say it is someone fault that they don't do something? We deal with it the best we can in real life, but death is a very final very non reversible solution. Which is why we pretty much never do it for any avoidable reason now a days.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 09:40:44 pm »

Produce or starve, would probably be a bit more palatable, I think. I mean, it's more-or-less the same thing, but it's a philosophical distinction, at least.

Is refusing a starving guy food killing?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17