Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: How to Effectively Limit (Currently) Illicit Drug Use?  (Read 9827 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: How to Effectively Limit (Currently) Illicit Drug Use?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »

I've smoked hookah with it and that's pretty nice, but mixing it in just seems like a weird way to go about it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:33 pm »

A lot of people in Britain roll joints with tobacco.  It helps poorly dried weed burn more easily.  I don't mix the two.

I heard that cannibus had a more devestating effect upon the lungs per weight.

That's irrelevant.  I smoke around 12.5 grams of tobacco a day (costs around £5 with filters and papers taken into consideration).  That's a high, but not particularly shocking quantity.  In my area of the UK it would cost approximately £10 for a single gram of medium quality cannabis.  I tend towards the more expensive stuff so it's a little stronger than that, but a quarter ounce (7 grams) of decent weed will last me two to three weeks.  During this time I'll have smoked 175 to 262.5 grams of tobacco.  Which do you think damages my health more?

Taxing addicting stuff doesn't work, because people can't control themselves anymore and they will buy themselves into poverty.

Without opening the 'cannabis isn't addictive' can of worms, the price of pretty much all illegal drugs is massively inflated because of the risk of selling them.  If legalised, they could be taxed massively and still be sold significantly more cheaply than they are now.

Tobacco may be more harmful physically, but it doesn't cause anywhere NEAR as much psychological damage as Marijuana.

We don't really know how much psychological damage cannabis causes, or how many (if any) potential schizophrenics wouldn't have just triggered slightly later without it.  I am definitely in favour of further research in this area.

However, there appear to be studies that indicate that cannabis can indeed damage brains, if used during adolecence. Sabotages neural connections.

This is true.  Who is more likely to sell to adolescents, illegal street dealers or a store that could lose it's license for doing so?  It wouldn't be 100%, but I sure found it harder to buy alcohol than cannabis when I was under-age.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2012, 05:09:16 pm »

Taxing addicting stuff doesn't work, because people can't control themselves anymore and they will buy themselves into poverty.

Without opening the 'cannabis isn't addictive' can of worms, the price of pretty much all illegal drugs is massively inflated because of the risk of selling them.  If legalised, they could be taxed massively and still be sold significantly more cheaply than they are now.

Just speaking about addicting stuff in general. Also, it's good to do because we make a profit is a pretty shoddy argument. Nevertheless, it's probably true.

All deplents on the implementation of the legalisation.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 07:07:58 pm »

apparently that's just... done.
Probably because tobacco is (IIRC) cheaper than cannabis, thus, mixing them together makes it cheaper.

Dear lord you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Stop. I don't even know what to say to this.

You're saying marijuana is bad because it's addictive; which is okay for you to claim. But it's addictive because people always smoke it with tobacco [according to you]? Do I even need to tell you how ridiculous that sounds?

Hint: I smoke pot all the time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:11:06 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »

Probably because tobacco is (IIRC) cheaper than cannabis, thus, mixing them together makes it cheaper.

Dear lord you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Stop. I don't even know what to say to this.

You're saying marijuana is bad because it's addictive; which is okay for you to claim. But it's addictive because people always smoke it with tobacco [according to you]? Do I even need to tell you how ridiculous that sounds?

Oh, be nice.  Berating someone for a lack of knowledge on how people take drugs is almost as silly as berating someone for recreational drug use. 
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:34 pm »

I don't think that's exactly what he said. What I understood was that most people that smoke weed also smoke tobacco (and are then, more or less, addicted to tobacco).

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2012, 08:59:11 pm »

I don't think that's exactly what he said. What I understood was that most people that smoke weed also smoke tobacco (and are then, more or less, addicted to tobacco).
But that has exactly zero effect on the addictiveness of pot.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:04 pm »

I have heard of people getting addicted to tobacco through pot use (from using cigar papers made of tobacco leaves), but that's still tangential.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:03 pm »

But that has exactly zero effect on the addictiveness of pot.
That's why I think that's not what he said.

I have heard of people getting addicted to tobacco through pot use (from using cigar papers made of tobacco leaves), but that's still tangential.
I personally started smoke tobacco after smoking weed (like drinking alcohol). That's also what most of my friends did.

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 09:50:07 am »

Having spent some time in Holland, in a coffee shop, and being a rather frequent user of cannabis, I can say that the dutch model is definitely something that other countries should follow. I smoke to relieve stress and to decrease the social disabilities I have, and I can safely say that the only negative things cannabis has brought to me, both healthcare, family, and relationship strain wise, is that I occasionally run out. My health hasn't deteriorated, my family and friends don't care that I smoke, and my job actually benefits from my smoking. All in all, I say decriminalization is the way to go, using distributors who are private businessmen.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 11:12:37 am »

Just out of curiosity: Why private businessmen, necessarily?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

The dutch coffee shop method works well, and leads to the products being safe, and improving in quality, as well as creating a culture similar to that around healthy use of alcohol, in that you invite your friends out to relax, and partake of cannabis in a relaxed environment. The private business model also keeps prices competitive, and service friendly, for example, if you have the choice between an establishment selling lower quality, more expensive products, and to top it all off, they are less friendly, people will go to other establishments, which keeps the drugs in question not only safer, but you get more for your money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2012, 06:03:31 pm »

it's not addictive

Ummm >_> I am pretty sure there is a slight problem here.

Isn't the statement that it is "Less addictive" rather then "Not addictive" since it being not addictive at all is a statement I would call you out on... and not in a "everything can be addictive" sort of way.

Mind you I find it funny that legalization actually hints at them producing more addictive cannibis.

Mind you the idea of things being added to a product because they are more addictive isn't anything new or secret information. It is just funny in a sense that it sort of weakens the "less addictive" status when its full legalisation would naturally head into the dirrection of making it more addictive.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:05:50 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2012, 06:07:31 pm »

Producing addictive pot would actually be a really wise business decision. Stuff like that is why I fear legalization without strict regulation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »

Also, quick question: were cannabis legalised, would anyone in prison for cannabis possession be released, or would they be stuck in there?

It depends on how the law is passed. Sometimes laws are passed with the intent that all those found guilty will be set free.

In this case it sounds like a no. Trafficing illegal substances sounds like something that deserves jail time even if that substance is now legal.

It could concievably get people shortened sentences but I have no idea how that works.

---

Or more specifically because they would be in jail for the general crime of trafficing illegal substances, they would still be in jail because trafficing is still a crime.

That is my best guess.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:14:01 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9