Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: How to Effectively Limit (Currently) Illicit Drug Use?  (Read 9835 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: How to Effectively Limit (Currently) Illicit Drug Use?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »

The law will change when the opinion of the public shifts and reaches a critical mass in favor of legalization.
Already the case with marijuana. 54% support legalization in the US, and of course there's what happened with Colorado and Washington.

Canada is going to be so sad if we legalize it before them.
I think we're kinda divided on the issue between almost everyone and old rich people. I'm not really sure, though; don't take my word for it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 03:38:19 am »

I think we're kinda divided on the issue all issues between almost everyone and old rich people.
FTFY
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 06:03:32 am »

If we have people considering it as an idiot tax like the lottery, i think we'll have gotten somewhere.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 09:22:23 am »

I'd be interested to see what the proposal for supply of legal cannabis would be. As I linked before, businesses devoted to only marijuana tend to attract unsavory elements and would likely be met with strong opposition against opening in any urban location. Pharmacies won't touch the stuff either; recreational drugs aren't part of the professional standard. Will it be chucked in with the tobacco behind the counter of every corner store and supermarket? Unlikely the public would approve such a widespread distribution of a previously illegal substance.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 09:34:06 am »

I think we're kinda divided on the issue all issues between almost everyone and old rich people.
FTFY

Yea methinks you (royal) strawman the opposing side too often, and not just here.

But they have that k-4 stuff at every gas station, and they all sell 'blunts, owls, spliffs, looseys', all of which are emptied an used for weed.. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 12:35:41 pm »

I'd be interested to see what the proposal for supply of legal cannabis would be. As I linked before, businesses devoted to only marijuana tend to attract unsavory elements and would likely be met with strong opposition against opening in any urban location. Pharmacies won't touch the stuff either; recreational drugs aren't part of the professional standard. Will it be chucked in with the tobacco behind the counter of every corner store and supermarket? Unlikely the public would approve such a widespread distribution of a previously illegal substance.

Well, you tend to get all sorts of unsavory elements around any large source of alcohol. Like bars.
So, why not make similar establishments for recreational drug use? You buy them over the counter in the unit, for immediate consumption, so that solves the "who's selling it" problem, and with licensed suppliers you can reduce health risks. The fact that you can keep an eye on the buyers means that if something does happen, you can intervene immediately and eject troublemakers/call medical teams/whatever else.
Of course, the technical aspects are a lot more problematic. How do you keep the staff from getting contact high without having them wear gas masks? How do you stop people from taking stuff "to go"? Is it worth stopping people from taking stuff to go? And all sorts of other problems.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 01:53:11 pm »

How do the dutch do it? I always thought coffee shops were rather pleasant establishments, though I've never been to one.

Yea methinks you (royal) strawman the opposing side too often, and not just here.
It was actually meant to be a joke :D I'll watch out for that in the future, though. Now I'm unsure if the 'royal' was a good or a bad thing...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 02:49:35 pm »

I'm not sure that's really a goal I'd support.  The world might be a nicer place if more people tried psilocybin mushrooms once or twice.  Improving the quality/purity of the available narcotics, providing decent rehabilitation centres and clean needles for those who desire them, not locking people up for having a good time/exploring their spirituality (see: Santo Daime) and educating people on both the real dangers (as opposed to the sensationalised bollocks most schools try to shove in people's faces) and, the desired effects, the safest methods of intake, and the correct quantity to take to minimise the risk of an overdose are all much better goals in my opinion.  And hell, they'd probably see the rate of usage decrease too.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »

What about purity, i.e. quality of the drugs? You can hardly regulate an illegal business model.
Otherwise yeah, these and legalization would have to go hand in hand under a good drug policy.
The Bay12 postcard club

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 03:00:57 pm »

What about purity, i.e. quality of the drugs? You can hardly regulate an illegal business model.
Otherwise yeah, these and legalization would have to go hand in hand under a good drug policy.

That kinda comes under:

not locking people up for having a good time/exploring their spirituality

although I could have been a little more emphatic on that point.  But yeah, legalise the lot of them.  Even the really fucking horrible stuff that I'd never even consider putting in my body.

Hmm... I was under the impression most governments wanted to remove the legality of stuff like tobacco, yet marijuana is being legalised...

I'm just confused about this.

Tobacco is a much more harmful drug than cannabis, and lacks any real benefit whatsoever.  This is coming from someone who is addicted to nicotine.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 03:02:10 pm »

I heard that cannibus had a more devestating effect upon the lungs per weight.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »

Depends on the way it's ingested. It burns at higher temperatures than tobacco, and produces more of the stuff that clogs up your lungs.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »

Depends on the way it's ingested. It burns at higher temperatures than tobacco, and produces more of the stuff that clogs up your lungs.
The whole harm debate kinda misses in important point - if we just slap a tax on the stuff high enough to cover the additional medicinal costs, the users can smoke that stuff all day long and no one who didn't decide to is harmed!
The Bay12 postcard club

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 03:21:34 pm »

Taxing addicting stuff doesn't work, because people can't control themselves anymore and they will buy themselves into poverty.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 03:24:11 pm »

The real question is, does the government have any business protecting me from myself?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9