Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: .  (Read 18948 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Why do weaboos use tildes to end sentences?
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »

@MSH

Ah, okay, I get what you're saying.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 09:50:58 pm »

A culture is not a place, kaijyuu. Nor do you have to accept everything about a culture to be a part of it. Nor does one necessarily have one culture, hence the idea of subcultures.
Isn't being a weeaboo then just a subculture of Western culture? After all, we don't call Japanese who are into Japan weeaboos, we call them nationalists.

I hereby declare that being obsessed with Japanese culture is actually just being obsessed with the Western subculture of being obsessed with Japanese culture. Nothing means anything anymore!

/complete bullshit
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2012, 10:03:38 pm »

Quote from: Max White
Tick boxes:
[] Uses Japanese words when otherwise speaking English.
[] Has anime avatar.
[!] Knows every touhou character by their hats.
[] Uses Pomf as their ringtone.
[] Openly mocks SAO as the worst thing ever, yet still watches with interest.
[] Goes to multiple cosplay conventions a year.

Phew, only one? :P

My mind on the australian stereotype is like on "Kath and Kim" ::shudder:: ::)

I'm certain when India was discovered people were enthralled by the culture there, likewise with China. Maybe it's an attraction caused by something seen to be quite different from what your used to?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »

We've known about Japan for a while now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2012, 10:36:50 pm »

Isn't being a weeaboo then just a subculture of Western culture?
If there was anything independent or differentiated about it. As is, the Japanophiles (the actual, non-derogatory term, by the way) are just trying to mimic what they perceive as being Japanese.
After all, we don't call Japanese who are into Japan weeaboos, we call them nationalists.
Well, if they're anything like American nationalists (and they probably are), they're really annoying.
We've known about Japan for a while now.
And besides, the American-Japanese cultural link as we are discussing it only really took off in the 90's or so. There were parts of it before then, which is why Japan is one of the only places on Earth where people watch and play baseball, but it was pretty limited. I do find it very interesting from an anthropological standpoint, since we've gotten to the point where we have examples of what is undeniably anime, except it has been produced entirely in the US (and probably will eventually be imported to Japan, FULL CIRCLE MINDFUCK).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »

Which would actually be the second turn of that particular cycle, seeing as how much of the art style associated with anime (particularly the large eyes) were derived from early Western cartoons.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 10:42:21 pm »

Basically, humanity is a giant collection of narcissistic plagiarists who only get creative to avoid being called out for stealing ideas.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2012, 01:52:55 am »

Which would actually be the second turn of that particular cycle, seeing as how much of the art style associated with anime (particularly the large eyes) were derived from early Western cartoons.
Namely Disney animations if I recall correctly. Disney is a big hit over in Japan. Then again so are South Park, The Powerpuff Girls and The Simpsons. There are also Japanese bronies if I recall correctly. Gelbooru seems to think so.

Basically, humanity is a giant collection of narcissistic plagiarists who only get creative to avoid being called out for stealing ideas.
I think Jung stated something along the lines of all symbols that are present in culture past, present and future being present in the collective subconscious of humanity. Seeing as symbols are ideas that means that all ideas are present in the collective subconscious of humanity. If someone has thought of it then someone will think of it and if someone hasn't thought of it then someone will think of it eventually.

I don't know. I think I'm just throwing that out there for some reason. It might just be a fever dream of some sort and we may all be talking iguanas wearing purple polkadot nightgowns in the Sahara.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 04:16:36 am »

Namely Disney animations if I recall correctly. Disney is a big hit over in Japan. Then again so are South Park, The Powerpuff Girls and The Simpsons. There are also Japanese bronies if I recall correctly. Gelbooru seems to think so.

Heh, I recall seeing the comments from one of the sites that hosted the translation of the first two-parter episode of FiM; half of them were along the lines of "It's like PreCure!".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:29 am »

Tick boxes:
[] Uses Japanese words when otherwise speaking English.
[] Has anime avatar.
[✓] Knows every touhou character by their hats.
[] Uses Pomf as their ringtone.
[] Openly mocks SAO as the worst thing ever, yet still watches with interest.
[] Goes to multiple cosplay conventions a year.
... I think that's still in the grey zone...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Touhou Hat Thread
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 04:49:47 am »

For the record, Suwako has the best hat~

Also, you know who else uses periods for punctuation? Grammar Nazis~

But really, it's useful, as it conveys inflection. If you're limited to the simple normal punctuation, you have '?' for questioning, '!' for excited, and '.' for, well, everything else. And as it happens, there is really a lot of everything else. Which can be important, as depending on inflection used, the meaning of a statement can vary dramatically, especially when a statement is made more playfully. Similar to how you often need to explicitly state sarcasm; it just doesn't come through very easily when all we have is text. A really good novelist or writer can usually convey it; a random internet-person typing something out in a minute, not so much. If anything, we need even more inflection punctuation.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:04:19 am by alway »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 05:16:25 am »

I agree%

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Touhou Hat Thread
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 07:54:56 am »

Also, you know who else uses periods for punctuation? Grammar Nazis~

I'm going to put a semicolon through your skull; this abuse of grammar cannot stand.
With regards, LW.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2012, 09:53:34 am »

I wonder if the Japanese have a weeaboo equivalent phrase for someone that's super into America.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 10:10:47 am »

And besides, the American-Japanese cultural link as we are discussing it only really took off in the 90's or so. There were parts of it before then, which is why Japan is one of the only places on Earth where people watch and play baseball, but it was pretty limited. I do find it very interesting from an anthropological standpoint, since we've gotten to the point where we have examples of what is undeniably anime, except it has been produced entirely in the US (and probably will eventually be imported to Japan, FULL CIRCLE MINDFUCK).
Oh no, no, no....try going back 10-15 years before that. Robotech, dude. ROBOTECH. Star Blazers. Voltron. Anime was becoming hot shit in the US during the late 70's and 80's. Not to mention the ninja and samurai crazes in the same time period.

I think the rise of otakuism in the US in the 80's probably had a lot to do with the fact that the Japanese economy was kicking ass and taking names. There was a time when people in the country were legitimately worried that the Japanese were going to buy all our companies, replace us with robots and then keep us around as pets or some shit.

Now you're seeing something of the same thing with China. People sense a rise in their power, so they're keenly interested in Chinese culture to figure out what they're doing right.

Not incidentally, that's a large part of the Japanese obsession with American culture. After utterly defeating them (still the ONLY foreign power to do so), they became fascinated with American culture, thinking it must hold the secret to our power. Apparently the lesson they drew was that American superiority was powered by Betty Boop eyes and neon.  ???

I wonder if the Japanese have a weeaboo equivalent phrase for someone that's super into America.
I think so, but I can't remember it. I know both Japanese and Chinese will use "egg" (tamago and jidan, respectively) as a slang term for a Caucasian who's bigtime into Asian things (the metaphor being "white on the outside, yellow on the inside"). (One of my nicknames with some Chinese friends is "lao dan", or "old egg" xD)

IIRC, Filipinos will use the term "banana" for the opposite (someone who's 'yellow on the outside, white on the inside'), but that's a somewhat more derogatory usage. Not familiar with a similar usage in Japanese or Chinese.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:21:05 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8