Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: .  (Read 18953 times)

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
Re: Why do weaboos use tildes to end sentences?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 09:19:30 pm »

The underlying purpose of the tilde is to convey a more friendly or intimate register than an ordinary punctuation mark might imply; this is useful because many elements of register in English are not reflected orthographically.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:23 pm »

I think it's stu-pid~‽
Totally, desu!
O̓ͪ͜n͈̦̻̦̝͆ͯ͊̋͒̇l̟̳̩͕̼̹͇̅͑̒ͦ̋̃̚ŷ̢͇͍̼͔͈͎̻̃̐ͬ̋̍ͭ ̠̣̮̹ͬ̂t̷͓̻̝̫̻͌ͬ͐͐̏h҉̫̘è̠̤̭͙̱͚ͩͥ ͎ͦ͂ͣ̃̍̚͘d̥̮̘̂͘ͅe̼͍͈̤͎͖̋̚͟ͅa̺̼̘̱ḍ̜͍̐̎ͤͨ̅̑ͣ͝ ̀͌̓̿̅̿̚s̖̗̗͎̱̼̆͊́ͫ̑̀̀̚h͇̤̞͙ä̗̰́͑l̰̫̞͚̲̭ͦ͌̈́̉l͍̟͕͉̪ͣ͆ͭ ͫ̃̽́k͎̖n̴̹̥̫̱̼͍͉̓ͭ̈͗o̴͓̠̻͖̫ͤͬͥw͍̻̝̪̩͚͆͆͟ ͇͎̬̺͖ͧ̆͌͛p͍ͩ̌͂̕e̮̮̓ͣ̈́͂a̖̱̗c̯̟̖̥̜e̯̟̫̣̰̮̺͠ ̲̙͈̹̪͖̿ͩ̇ͪͭf̭̹̿̾̐̏͟r̟̼̼̬̎ͫ̄͡o̬͎͍̯̙͍͛̄ͪ̃͂̐m͇͙͖̞͘ ͕͎̪̖̬͚͝t̹͉̹̤̭͈̝ͬ̅̌ͭ͋͗h͉͕̖ͨ́ͩͧ͆̉ͩi̙ͯ̃̏ͨͮş̙͎̓̐ͭ̑̃ ȩ̸͉͙̮̪̖̫̔̈́́ͩ́ͨ̅̓͒̏̇̃̒͊ͮͬ̚͞v͈̼̲̲̲̘̲̝̤̭̬̭̖͈͎͋̍̿̊ͩ́͡͝ị̢̘̬̣͇̼̱̲̮̹̖̱̓́̅̽̿̓͠l̵ͤ̏ͯ̔̿̆ͫ͘͝҉͉̫̯̱̯̭͖̫̣̬̘̰̺̥ͅ.̴̛̼̩͉̮͍̈̍̊̃ͥͧ̐͒

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 09:24:57 pm »

The underlying purpose of the tilde is to convey a more friendly or intimate register than an ordinary punctuation mark might imply; this is useful because many elements of register in English are not reflected orthographically.
English is just kind of fucked up, as far as languages go. We even see that in this thread:
I just want to state that whenever someone uses the word Weaboo, I imagine they look like this:
The person using the word or the person the word is used to describe?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 09:28:35 pm »

Ooh, look what I missed while I was out for a movie and too much chai~

By the by, that baby picture was fucking massive.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 09:29:39 pm »

Qu'est ce tout alle mond dans la piscine?
I am full fully aware that this means nothing.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 09:29:42 pm »

English is just kind of fucked up, as far as languages go. We even see that in this thread:
Oh English isn't that bad. For a language that is pretty much German + French I think we came out pretty well. The worst part is the spelling, and French spelling is worse.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 09:30:59 pm »

So, uh. Seeing as I've never bothered to figure it out beyond it being something vaguely derogatory towards people who don't rabidly dislike Japanese media, and would really rather not actually search the internet for clarification (because I can't see that ending well), what exactly qualifies as a weaboo? I certainly use the tilde occasionally (it's faster to type than a music note), but I'm confused if I somehow fit into this strange category of internet user.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 09:32:20 pm »

Try visiting an anime forum, you'll probably know it when you see one.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 09:35:27 pm »

So, uh. Seeing as I've never bothered to figure it out beyond it being something vaguely derogatory towards people who don't rabidly dislike Japanese media, and would really rather not actually search the internet for clarification (because I can't see that ending well), what exactly qualifies as a weaboo? I certainly use the tilde occasionally (it's faster to type than a music note), but I'm confused if I somehow fit into this strange category of internet user.
Tick boxes:
[] Uses Japanese words when otherwise speaking English.
[] Has anime avatar.
[] Knows every touhou character by their hats.
[] Uses Pomf as their ringtone.
[] Openly mocks SAO as the worst thing ever, yet still watches with interest.
[] Goes to multiple cosplay conventions a year.

If the above applies to you, seek medical assistance.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 09:37:19 pm »

Generally, you hit the point of weirdness when you put Japanese culture above your own. Unless you are Japanese, in which case the limit is probably staying in your room for a month straight watching anime, or something like that.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »

Also note that it's become yet another member of the category of microwave-meal insults. Y'know, because people want something to easily quantify their hatred but can't be arsed to put work into thinking about it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 09:40:53 pm »

Generally, you hit the point of weirdness when you put Japanese culture above your own.
"Your own"?

I know I'm not too fond of most stereotypical USA culture, so I'm not sure that's a good qualifier :P

"My" culture is places like here, the group of friends I'm in with the ladyfriend, and other things I associate myself with. I don't consider, say, Utah's culture to be "my" culture, and even if I did, I'd put many other cultures above it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 09:42:41 pm »

I just want to state that whenever someone uses the word Weaboo, I imagine they look like this:

The person using the word or the person the word is used to describe?

The person using the word. 

Edit:  Also whoops, I had no idea that image was so big.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:45:02 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »

Generally, you hit the point of weirdness when you put Japanese culture above your own.
"Your own"?

I know I'm not too fond of most stereotypical USA culture, so I'm not sure that's a good qualifier :P

"My" culture is places like here, the group of friends I'm in with the ladyfriend, and other things I associate myself with. I don't consider, say, Utah's culture to be "my" culture, and even if I did, I'd put many other cultures above it.
A culture is not a place, kaijyuu. Nor do you have to accept everything about a culture to be a part of it. Nor does one necessarily have one culture, hence the idea of subcultures.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 09:45:34 pm »

"Your own"?

I love the Australian stereotype. The drunken moron in khaki shorts who fights crocs with his bare hands and carries around a bowie knife to shave with. It is hilarious! I mean seriously, I'm surprised there isn't a culture of people in stupid looking hats pretending to be Australian because of the 'tough guy' image. Plus it is a lot easier to pull off when the native language is some sort of mangled English and nobody expects you to say anything smart.
Truly the Australian stereotype is god among stereotypes, and I hope to one day meet somebody like that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8