Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54807 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #555 on: January 09, 2014, 09:29:44 am »

I finally got round to seeing it recently, and here's my stance:
Beorn I feel should have gotten a bigger introduction, and more screen time. What you see of him is nice, but there's very little of it, and considering how he ends up killing bolg I would count him as a pretty major character.
The mirkwood scene I was pretty happy with. I liked how the forest messing with their minds was presented, and the sense of being hopelessly lost.
Thranduil I was also happy with. I liked the interactions with him and Thorin.
Legolas's presence I was slightly miffed with. He was forced into a lot of scenes, though it was excusable in that when he's introduced in LOTR he's introduced as a prince of the mirkwood elves.
Tauriel I couldn't stand. Like Legolas, she is shoehorned into lots of scenes unnecessarily, but with even less explanation than legolas. She was also major in the 'Fili gets injured' sub-plot, which is my biggest problem in the movie (more on that later).
The escape form the elves I was happy with.
The river chase scene I felt was a bit excessive, and also ties into the 'Fili gets injured' sub-plot.
Bard's introduction diverged from the book a lot, but I can understand the change there, as I would understand how his introduction in the book would not work in movie form.
Similarly, the whole thing about a damaged scale I can understand the change.
The departure for erebor I has infuriated by. I don't understand how the third movie will be able to depict the siege of erebor if a third of the dwarves aren't actually in erebor. I suspect there will be a lot of rage-inducing changes in the third movie as a result of this.
The attack on lake-town I felt was completely unnecessary, as it was there to facilitate the 'fili gets injured' sub-plot, which is what I hate most about the movie.
The conversation with smaug I loved, as with the chase scene, though it did get a bit scooby-doo-ish. I was somewhat annoyed by the statue scene, but that was more of a "liquids don't work that way" physics rage than anything else.
I liked the note the movie ended on.
I also liked how Sauron was depicted - indirectly and very powerful.

So in summary - If one were to cut out the 'Fili gets injured' subplot and the unnecesary extra scenes caused by it, I would love the movie. However, that subplot kept being brought up thoughout the movie, which meant I could not enjoy it for very long before the subplot appeared again.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:36 am »

How in the fuck is Sauron's presentation indirect? His attempt at killing Gandalf is pretty direct. You know what's really indirect? His presence in the actual book.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 09, 2014, 10:16:06 am »

How in the fuck is Sauron's presentation indirect? His attempt at killing Gandalf is pretty direct. You know what's really indirect? His presence in the actual book.
When I say his presentation is indirect, I mean you don't see him chilling out in a physical body. You see what he does, but you don't see him doing it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:10 am »

Yes you do! You see it in every possible way, actually! Both The Lidless Eye and the Avatar of Sauron appear! Those are his bodies.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 09, 2014, 10:35:43 am »

Yes you do! You see it in every possible way, actually! Both The Lidless Eye and the Avatar of Sauron appear! Those are his bodies.
I would argue that those are more visions than actual physical incarnations. There's lots of shadows flowing about, and it's the shadows that do things. The eye and the body are seen, but as inert depictions. What actually attacks gandalf and starts flinging him about isn't the eye or the body, it's the shadows.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 09, 2014, 10:36:57 am »

The shadows are him too, man. Sauron is a living god, he can be shadows if he feels like it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 09, 2014, 10:39:25 am »

Wait, so do you have a beef with the scene or...? It's hard to tell.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 09, 2014, 10:43:34 am »

I don't like it, or the movie at all really, but this is a technical argument. Sauron appears, directly, and fights Gandalf, directly.
No Gods, No Masters.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 09, 2014, 03:50:05 pm »

At least they didn't shoehorn a Boromir death scene in there.

I heard if you disable everything but the alpha channel, the movie is a loop of Peter Jackson urinating on a copy of the book.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 09, 2014, 03:51:14 pm »

I just watched the movie.

It was entertaining, and I liked it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »

I just watched the movie.

It was entertaining, and I liked it.
Prepare for cries of NNNUUUUUUU
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 09, 2014, 03:58:29 pm »

Sauron appears, directly, and fights Gandalf, directly.
I found the Sauron/Gandalf thing one of the better additions. It is at least loosely based on the LOTR appendices and stuff from Unfinished Tales. Evangeline Lily is nice to look at, but the love plot was pretty silly compared to that and just based on the studio being concerned with certain demographics.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:43 pm »

On a barely related note, why is Glamdring also called "Foe-Hammer"?  I mean, I get that hammer doesn't have to refer to an actual hammer, but something that smites other things... but it just seems like "Foe-Render" or something of that nature would've been the nickname.  Anyhoo, I enjoyed both the books and the movies.  I'm easy to please.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 09, 2014, 05:44:51 pm »

"Foe-Hammer" is the literal translation of the elvish "Glamdring", I guess it's called that because you use it to, well, hammer at your foes with.  :)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 09, 2014, 05:46:28 pm »

No wonder the dwarves look down on elves.  "That's not how you hammer things!"
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40