Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Games you like but cannot play for beans!  (Read 10028 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you like but cannot play for beans!
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 02:39:59 pm »

R.U.S.E steamrolled all the missions at the hardest setting, and then got stuck on that missions you have to resist enough time to flee at the start of the x chapter, I can't remember.

I can't beat it, no way, not even on easy.

I hate scripted missions.
You mean the one with the AA guns where you have to make them before you get steamrolled over by the tanks?
I found it easier if I pretty much just gave the base up for lost and only tried to keep it to produce the 5 cannons then GTFO that place.
I got stuck on the last (?) mission where you have to beat down the heavily defended base that has AA, AT and vehicles almost crushing it; within a time limit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »

DF Fortress mode. Never not gotten bored beyond first autumn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 03:05:48 pm »

Company of Heroes just seems so fun, but when the action gets going I'm trying to send my guys everywhere and having them retreat before they get slaughtered by MGs and then I don't actually reinforce them until about a minute after they've gotten back to base. Then as things keep piling up it just gets to be too much and I quit out because I can't deal with all of it at once. It really gets on my nerves, too, because I really want to enjoy it!
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 03:16:36 pm »

Children of the Nile, it's a godlike city builder where you control ancient Egypt.  I always hit big troubles when population gets too high and they want to worship.  Being the Egyptian Pantheon, they want to worship 20 different gods, each of which has their own temple as big as 6 houses, and must be within walking distance of the working class houses.

Aside from that, I really love the ideas.  You can collect resources from local quarries or trade, and I love stockpiling lots of fresh white limestone, or seeing my workers pull a massive basalt statue towards the temple.  Really gives an idea of "expensive, large, valuable commodity".

Girlinhat, thank you SO much for describing this game.  It sounds exactly like the sort of sim I like to play, but I'd never heard of it before.  And I love it!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2012, 03:20:26 pm »

Children of the Nile, it's a godlike city builder where you control ancient Egypt.  I always hit big troubles when population gets too high and they want to worship.  Being the Egyptian Pantheon, they want to worship 20 different gods, each of which has their own temple as big as 6 houses, and must be within walking distance of the working class houses.

Aside from that, I really love the ideas.  You can collect resources from local quarries or trade, and I love stockpiling lots of fresh white limestone, or seeing my workers pull a massive basalt statue towards the temple.  Really gives an idea of "expensive, large, valuable commodity".

Girlinhat, thank you SO much for describing this game.  It sounds exactly like the sort of sim I like to play, but I'd never heard of it before.  And I love it!

The Zeus and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom games are simplified versions of this, I loved them.  And rocked at them dammit.

Jagged alliance 2 on the other hand......  Freaking loved that game, but only ever managed to win fights by autosaving every turn, then savescumming.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:22 pm »

Jagged Alliance 2 totally applies for me here. I sorta like the concept and gameplay, but can't really figure out a good strategy, mostly because the accuracies and distances are scaled weirdly. And the enemies don't care, they just take pot shots at you, because they've got infinite ammo until they die. I guess if I paid enough attention or gave it enough time I'd figure it out, but eh. I still reinstall the game from time to time to give it a try with 1.13, only to get massacred after freeing the airport town and giving up.

Also, pretty much any rogue-like I've played. I've never beaten any, nor ever got close, but got a lot of enjoyment out of them.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »

MMOs, RPGs, open world games and what-not.  Specifically, grinding.  I am pretty much grinded out from the old days of heavy grind games. 

Shiny new toy syndrome for MMOs might be able to get me to max level, that is if I find enough varied/diversionary stuff to try out/do within that grind to climb up there... but yea I have no staying power to bring up alts.
SWtoR: Grindy as heck, loved the smuggler... but... yea...
GW2: I've made it with my main, a Guardian.  Any attempts to bring a 2nd character up has failed and stopped me from wanting to play.
Aion/Lineage 2: Never hit cap... even playing on non-official x+ servers.
Tera: Great concept, but the grind and probably the lag I was experiencing just before GW2 came out done it in.

As for the RPG type games... well, most of the time, the story/characters do not compel me... and/or the grind of multiple generic encounters is just too much. 
FF13: hit a brick wall(some boss), never came back to it.
Kingdoms of Amalur: I want to play this... but... I can't be arsed to right now.
Mass Effect: The UI along with the grind of mooks.

I suck at Starfarer and M&B when it comes to fighting.  Waiting for Starfarer to get much further ahead.
I play field commander or shooter in M&B, only moving into the fray when I'm on horseback.  Indeed, I do want to play infantry... without the getting murdered really quick part.

JA2, I'd be more up to it, if I had more bodies of my own when things hit the fan...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 06:22:35 pm »

Strategy games of any description... which is bad because all my friends like strategy games @_@

Flight simulators. I love the idea of them, I'm just... so bad at fighting in a plane >_> especially because I don't have TrackIR

I should also mention PnP RPGs. I've been interested in them for a long while but I'm bad at 'role playing' as it were.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:30:01 pm by OzyTheSage »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 07:44:03 pm »

-snip-

Personnaly, I was a huge fan of GW, and was really waiting for GW2. But I got bored in less than 2 weeks (didn't even made it to max level). Nothing like GW, and really repeatitive. I guess it's what happens to most MMOs now : "been there done that".

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 07:46:24 pm »

I own ArmA 2 and the expansion, but I consistently get buttraped at the end of the first training mission. I've never actually played more than five minutes of the single-player campaign or online.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 07:48:18 pm »

I own ArmA 2 and the expansion, but I consistently get buttraped at the end of the first training mission. I've never actually played more than five minutes of the single-player campaign or online.
I was sort of like that when I first bought it, but as soon as you stop rushing to your objective and trying to rambo everything you'll see some improvement. If you take your time doing things, your survival rate will drastically improve.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 10:35:24 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth.  I can win singleplayer games without much trouble, and I'm, well, not terrible at the multiplayer.

But I've discovered something: I don't know what a good move is in Wesnoth.  I can't generally tell which player is winning, I can't decide what a good starting makeup is for my army, and the overall strategy of the various multiplayer battles eludes me.  I've spectating 1v1s where I thought one person was being a complete idiot and then their opponent got crushed in the space of a single turn and surrendered.  The multiplayer is great, I just don't know how to win.  And I'm normally really good a TBSs.

I think part of the problem is that BfW matches take an unpredictable amount of time.  They can be done in twenty minutes or three hours, and unlike say Hero Academy (which I'm great at) you can't leave a game in progress and come back to it later.  So haven't gotten much practice at all.  I also suspect the people who are bad at the game host cheesy custom games or cooperative against AI rather than risking facing a human opponent.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 10:49:09 pm »

Company of Heroes just seems so fun, but when the action gets going I'm trying to send my guys everywhere and having them retreat before they get slaughtered by MGs and then I don't actually reinforce them until about a minute after they've gotten back to base. Then as things keep piling up it just gets to be too much and I quit out because I can't deal with all of it at once. It really gets on my nerves, too, because I really want to enjoy it!

+1

I wish it were a little slower. I very much enjoy it but the awesome strategy element is slightly waylaid by Starcraft syndrome.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:59 pm »

+1

I wish it were a little slower. I very much enjoy it but the awesome strategy element is slightly waylaid by Starcraft syndrome.
I just play the Brits and blow everything to hell with artillery.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2012, 12:07:24 am »

I can now safely add the docking portion of KSP to this list.

No matter what I fucking do, I overshoot the other part of the bloody station!
Maybe you can try Orbiter then, get the DeltaGlider IV mod, fire it up and see the autopilot do that for you for a few times. The key is to neutralize relative velocity, and docking in KSP is already somewhat easier than in Orbiter if not for its lack of navigational aids and visual cues.

I've never successfully reentried and safely landed with just about anything in the same game, though.

And then there's various flavors of Falcon 4. Used to fly FF5 just okay, but when it gets to BMS...I think I need a pair of HOTAS sticks and TrackIR.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7