Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Games you like but cannot play for beans!  (Read 10024 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you like but cannot play for beans!
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2012, 12:53:46 am »

Star Ruler, the last couple times I tried it.
I rarely have trouble with most strategy games, but those two attempts were pretty brutal.

It used to be pretty easy, but a patch hit at some point that made the AI frighteningly competent. Also extremely hostile. I've tried playing twice and got pretty much demolished both times by swarms of enemy ships. Even though visually my ships look like they should easily stand toe to toe with them, they just get shredded like they don't even exist.

Though to be honest, I don't remember what difficulty it was set to on either attempt.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:22 am »

Flight simulators. I love the idea of them, I'm just... so bad at fighting in a plane >_> especially because I don't have TrackIR

No excuse - some of the best pilots I know don't use trackIR :) Also, I also utterly suck, but practice makes perfect...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2012, 02:41:37 am »

Starcraft. I love the lore and playing for fun, but I've never successfully completed any of the campaigns without cheating.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2012, 02:42:36 am »

Starcraft. I love the lore and playing for fun, but I've never successfully completed any of the campaigns without cheating.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 02:59:23 am »

X-Com: Terror from the Deep. I love the hell out of this game. It's creepy, it's dark, it's complex, and it stays true to the original X-Com. It's been rumoured that the easiest difficulty is harder than Superhuman on the original, and with good reason: I've never gotten farther than Deep Ones before my fledgling base is wiped out entirely. Keep in mind, I'm no good at the original either.

Any multiplayer strategy game, too. I'm an okay player against the computer, but the GOTTA GO FAST mentality of multiplayer ruins the entire thing for me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:55 am »

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. Got this recently with the THQ bundle. Played two games with my friend, and it seems pretty good, but starting without knowing win conditions is very bad and then failing to increase squad cap and make a couple more squads, with missile launchers in case of vehicles, not defending things very well(apart from the time I put minefields between my friend and a critical point, and then flanked him in the tight choke with heavy bolters) tend to result in me losing due to not having as many units as he does to be able to put up a decent fight. Still fun, but ugh, I haven't won a game yet.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2012, 03:22:10 am »

You can always try coop, I think that's what I used to do with my wife :)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 03:47:54 am »

I basically can't play any 3d game or any action game. I have pretty severe sensory processing issues and I just can't figure out what's happening quickly enough to react, even in the old NES/SNES games I grew up with. I've always been basically limited to turn-based games like RPGs and sometimes strategy games like Civ, as well as a few racing games whose tracks I could memorize and puzzle games like Tetris. However, I really love the storylines and game systems for a lot of games that I could never beat the first level on. My solution as a kid was to get other family members to play them so I could watch, and nowadays I can watch "let's plays" on YouTube.

A short list of games I owned and tried for hours to play but could never manage it:

The entire Mario series (embarrassing but I could never get the timing right for jumping over gaps)
Super Metroid
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Donkey Kong Country series
The entire Zelda series (especially Ocarina of Time)
Hexen
Bubsy Bobcat
Goldeneye 007
Deus Ex
Grand Theft Auto
Starcraft/Warcraft
Portal

And so on and so forth...

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 04:10:01 am »

Much like the others here, I love RTS games like Starcraft, but I couldn't play them to save my life.

Also, Rulers of Nations, which is Geopolitical Simulator 2. Even ignoring the bugs, I'm not very good at it. Though I guess I was getting there back when I had a machine that could run it.

On Europa Universalis 3, I can't play very far without save-scumming like crazy. As soon as France or Austria declare war, I might as well give up. It's over. And it seems no matter how high I raise my relations, they do it eventually anyway.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 05:50:15 am »

Arma 2 has already been mentioned so I'll say X2. I loved cheating myself a massive fleet of ships and launching a crusade against a particular faction (or all of them) but when I actually play I end up overshooting my destinations, failing to lead shots properly, making stupid business decisions, getting trapped outside my ship and getting lost in space.

Company of Heroes could also count but only when I'm not playing Panzer Elite or going Tiger hunting with light tanks.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2012, 07:30:08 am »

Arma 2 has already been mentioned so I'll say X2. I loved cheating myself a massive fleet of ships and launching a crusade against a particular faction (or all of them) but when I actually play I end up overshooting my destinations, failing to lead shots properly, making stupid business decisions, getting trapped outside my ship and getting lost in space.

Company of Heroes could also count but only when I'm not playing Panzer Elite or going Tiger hunting with light tanks.
This is exactly the same with me, but with Wehrmacht. I can wreck with them but any other I'm just fighting an uphill battle. Infact, Panzer Elite is actually probably my worst, I don't understand how their played or what to do with them at all.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:39 am »

Kerbal Space Program. I cannot play for shit. This worries me as I am an astrophysics student :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:11 am »

Like a lot of people I'll say online RTS except AoE 2. I lost in semi-finals in a high school tournament with that one.

Other games are:

Civilization : I'm not really bad at that game, it's just that I have a hard time playing higher difficulty than chieftain.

Colonization : I have a bad time developping my colonies and producing manufactured goods and moving goods from inland cities to coastal ones and having more than a few colonies. I feel like repeating the same errors that France made in that time. Ironically, I'm from Québec...

Final Fantasy : Never finished one of the,, some because I lacked the time or motivation, some because I've hit a wall (literally in the case of FFVII)

FTL : The Flagship...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:34 am »

Guess I'd like say Starcraft II too, but game I "like" is probably stretching it.  Getting all-in rushed for the nth time killed any love I had for the game and its devs and its community.

A better game would be Batman:AA.  I absolutely love that game, but could never for the life of me get top-rank on the challenges.  In combat I'd get a nice flow going and then collapse, "no just... wait... no, no, counter... oh my".  In stealth I'd sit in a duct for about 10 minutes planning my first move and then panic and set off the explosives right next to me.  If I were Batman, he'd be arrested and committed within a day.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:00 pm »

I was having a hard time thinking of anything, but then hermes' post reminded me that I failed epically in the first battle with a group of goons as soon as I tried to do a new game plus in Arkham City, and no amount of replaying the battle (or trying different tactics) resulted in any improvement in the outcome.

Most other things that I am bad at, or have no patience with, I don't generally get enjoyment out of anyways. I tend to dislike 2d platforming games, mostly because I am terrible at them (but I have less of a problem when they don't give you jump after jump after jump and instakill you and send you back to the first (or end the game) for failing any one of them). I also have never really liked puzzle games, or adventure games, those mostly because of bad experiences with 90s adventure-puzzle-guessing-developermindreading games, including games that do their best to hide items or secret exits that are critical to continuing the game so that you have to hunt for hours for them or call their hint line (before the world wide web existed). (Portal is basically the only puzzle game I've liked, and Portal 2 ended up being a slow ramp of annoyance leading eventually to rage, leading me to quit playing presumably halfway through because I was sick of solving puzzles when I was just interested in the plot, and sick of hunting for hidden portal spots in giant setpiece environments - and I have never gone back to it since)

(I believe games have to be designed appropriately for losing to be fun - if not designed with that in mind, it's simply frustrating or annoying.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7