- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24627 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #315 on: December 15, 2012, 10:52:24 am »

Yes, unguided rocket in a tube that is open at both ends. If you put a back-plate on that tube then the rocket will accelerate faster because it can build up pressure behind it. If you put a guidance system on that rocket then it can hit something that can move out of the way. Of course, then it produces recoil and shoots out regular and highly visible gouts of exhaust, but it was pretty much always going to be visible when it was launched and moving in a straight line from then on... there is nothing wrong with pure velocity+mass based weapons, but they will always be either highly agile seekers, or useless against an evasive target.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 15, 2012, 10:59:32 am »

aim ahead. besides, its for planets or moons or the like. put some around pirate bases as a threat.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 15, 2012, 11:06:18 am »

So, any critiques of my Valkyrie Fighter? Any ideas on making it better?
Given our rolls, the design is pushing too much above our capacity.

Besides preserve the name unless we can design a proper atmospheric starfighter.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:11 am »

fug.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 15, 2012, 02:50:29 pm »

I do agree that we need some kind of weapon to defend our sensor drones.

Occido MI (Kill on Latin, ish)

Team:Everyone.
Time: 1 mouth.
Volume: About 2*2 meters.
General Description: Its appearance is very similar to the Oculus, although a bit larger. But its role is vastly different. Placed within the cluster of sensors it is designed to give every potential aggressor second thoughts before attacking any sensor drones. It is more like a mobile mine than a Drone. Filled with explosives the drone is programmed to hatch onto enemy ships and then  selfexplode.  It is designer to cooperate strongly with its host ships and in this case the sensor drones. It can be programmed to either attack anything with an unidentifiable signal, or to attack whatever that threatens attack the sensor drones/mothership.
Priorities:
Explosives 2
Speed 1
Disguse as a Sensor Drone 1
AI 1

Comments:
I think this region as it is now is to backwatered to make full use of our laser tech. Therefore we need to be more creative when designing ships. They need to be able to function  with simple technology. This drone will hopefully make the pirates much more carefull when attack any sensor drone while still able to be produced here.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:57:11 pm by Evil Marahadja »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2012, 03:01:01 pm »

Hmmm, you might have a point. It might be better to go with 2 smaller lasers than trying to get one mondo laser, as well as upping the size and research time. Changes in bold

Spoiler: Asgard (click to show/hide)

How bout this? Think it'll work better?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »

make it longer term.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2012, 03:02:12 pm »

....you saying even longer research time?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »

Recoilless also means slow initial acceleration. Without guidance of some sort I don't really see it being effective against a target that is doing any sort of evasion. Would be nice for planetary, asteroid, or orbital facility bombardment though...

Distance is not much of an obstacle to detection in space, I am not convinced that the heimdallr would be an unknown threat unless it was hiding behind something. It would make a great siege weapon though, leave a bunch of them around a pirate asteroid with orders to shoot anything that moves in the asteroid's vicinity and you could make life pretty tough for them...
Not really. Arceleration is solely based on the power of the rocket.

An no, the Heimdallr wouldn't be an unknown threat. It does however mean that we can secure the trade lanes from a fixed and fortified position near our starbase. If needed we can estabilish more defensive outposts further out.

Yes, unguided rocket in a tube that is open at both ends. If you put a back-plate on that tube then the rocket will accelerate faster because it can build up pressure behind it. If you put a guidance system on that rocket then it can hit something that can move out of the way. Of course, then it produces recoil and shoots out regular and highly visible gouts of exhaust, but it was pretty much always going to be visible when it was launched and moving in a straight line from then on... there is nothing wrong with pure velocity+mass based weapons, but they will always be either highly agile seekers, or useless against an evasive target.

The pressure thing is not that relevant in space. At best you only recover 50% of the kinetic energy of the exhaust for the duration the missiles is in the box.

Rest of points are valid

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2012, 03:13:53 pm »

shall we make some? 30 meter long, 5 meter thick rods of material, with some rockets on the back, based in drones orbiting something, to be used as artillery? not much good in space, but for a ground target...
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:20 pm »

I'm afraid not. We don't want to trigger a unification of the pirate factions.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2012, 04:26:13 pm »

Heh, I just thought up of something really awesome that might actually be in reach of us! Note that this ship is not an immediate thing, and I'll only seriously propose it when it becomes time to come after the pirates seriously.

TRF-1 "Thor" Siege Frigate

Size:75k
Team: Everyone
Time:8 months

The Thor is a medium frigate that has a gravitic linear accelerator cannon(codenamed Mjolnir) running the entire length of the ship that allows it to fire telephone-pole-sized solid granite slugs at a considerable fraction of the speed of light; this allows the Thor to utterly obliterate hardened positions and fortifications that other weapons simply wouldn't harm. While the huge energy draw and long charge-up time of the Mjolnir siege cannon makes it impractical for ship to ship combat, the Thor is also armed with 4 medium anti-ship twin laser turrets as well as at least 8 point defense laser turrets, as well as 4 medium missile racks. However, The heavy armoring of the Thor does make it rather sluggish for its size...

Priorities:3 gravitic accelerator, 1 power management, 1 armoring

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:27 pm »

What's the gravitic arcelerator? Phlebotinum?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »

Basically a railgun that uses gravity instead of magnets

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2012, 06:12:14 pm »

So, phlebotinum.

Alright, here's some ideas coupled with Norse-based names:
Andvari Defense Ship
Audhumla Agricultural A...synonym for ship beginning with "A"
Gullinbursti...messenger craft?
Hugi Research Vessel
Mimingus Warship (ideally with experimental/invented weapons)
Nordi Orbital Craft
Skrymir Spy Ship
Sleipnir Transport (duh)
Ymir World-Forger (sounds awesome, at least)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31