- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24630 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2012, 10:00:56 pm »

Basically a railgun that uses gravity instead of magnets
May as well use a magnetic slug and propel it with magnets...

Name
Mimingus
Gullinbursti
Desired volume
905000 m³
Team
Brian O'Donald
Anton Jones
Mark Volkov
Estimated time
eight months
General description
A 60m sphere. At its core are four pods. Two of the pods are massive laser arrays that are focused through lenses into a single beam that is used for primary propulsion. The other two pods are used for power generation. The main propulsion beam can be harvested and distributed throughout the vessel using a network of lenses that allow the beam to be concentrated into weaponized beams of variable power and directed out through a large number of surface weapon-lenses that convert the beam to a more reactive wave-length and adjust for aiming.
Priorities
2-internal beam control
2-cooling
1-aiming

P.S.
I managed to delete the estimated time from my template, I have added it to my submissions on reply 297...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:48:58 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »

This is just an idea for a future defensive emplacement for the planet once we get everything going.

Name
Apollo Star Breaker Defensive Emplacement

Desired volume
2000m3

General description
A large massive ring, this entire structure is a weapon, its entire circumference contains a magazine of half-ton railgun shells, and its entire surface is made up varying part capable of creating a magnetic field able to launch the shells at near light speed. Its superstructure is mainly ceramic, plastics, and the other various components required to work such a weapon, but the outside shall is made of half foot thick iron-titanium alloys made to resist numerous direct hits and still hold. Made to be unmanned defensive positions these are connected directly to the Haven station or other processing nodes to acquire firing solutions and the like on incoming enemies.

Priorities
3 Railgun
2 Armor

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2012, 10:21:15 pm »

So, any critiques of my Valkyrie Fighter? Any ideas on making it better?
Ok, so you guys know, I'm resubmitting my fighter design for this turn:

Spoiler: Laser Fighter (click to show/hide)

Critiques would be most welcome
I am not sure that atmospheric, high speed, and low armour are a good combination. It seems likely that it will disintegrate in any atmosphere dense enough to require specific modifications. I would probably scrap atmospheric flight and planetary launching(we could design a dedicated vehicle to get them to and from orbit) or go for more durable, less agile specifications.
 I also suspect that "the smallest ship you an get" and cheaper materials are really a match, as miniaturisation tends to put a strain on the materials used. I doubt that cheaper materials will achieve much, but it is likely to be a sore point and a small improvement in the field could make it much more marketable.
All things considered, it seems like a good ship but it might be asking a lot, I would suggest giving it an extra month or two to refine the design...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2012, 10:33:18 pm »

Seconded. Take our time.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2012, 12:59:10 am »

So, phlebotinum.

Alright, here's some ideas coupled with Norse-based names:
Andvari Defense Ship
Audhumla Agricultural A...synonym for ship beginning with "A"
Gullinbursti...messenger craft?
Hugi Research Vessel
Mimingus Warship (ideally with experimental/invented weapons)
Nordi Orbital Craft
Skrymir Spy Ship
Sleipnir Transport (duh)
Ymir World-Forger (sounds awesome, at least)
I guess its more like Norse for combatants only.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2012, 01:06:16 am »

So, phlebotinum.

Alright, here's some ideas coupled with Norse-based names:
Andvari Defense Ship
Audhumla Agricultural A...synonym for ship beginning with "A"
Gullinbursti...messenger craft?
Hugi Research Vessel
Mimingus Warship (ideally with experimental/invented weapons)
Nordi Orbital Craft
Skrymir Spy Ship
Sleipnir Transport (duh)
Ymir World-Forger (sounds awesome, at least)
I guess its more like Norse for combatants only.
Tell me the Ymir doesn't sound awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2012, 03:59:05 am »

hmmm, I wasn't sure the orbital base had launching facilities, that's why atmospheric was considered. but you may have a point there, though I think you missed my first revision where I doubled research time, so I don't think I need to increase research any more. Changes from first draft in bold

Spoiler: Asgard (click to show/hide)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2012, 04:03:59 am »

I  dunno, but your ship seems small enough to fit into the Valhalla.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2012, 04:20:59 am »

Hmm, we might do that for normal operations, but what about when crash launches are needed?(I.E. rescuing a merchant from a pirate?)

....wait, they could be on a rotating schedule of a couple squadrons up, and the others in their facilities for maintenance, so I see what you're saying, though I'd like to keep the rig in case of a couple squadrons needing to be emergency launched. This rig will of course be redundant when we get around to designing the carrier corvette I wanted for this(this assumes ofc we go for the asgard in the first place!)

As for the Thor, I went with gravity because of the heated discussion about lack of metals for a real railgun(or coilgun in this case), and if you have artificial gravity it isn't that much more difficult to use it as the motive force in a mass drive. If this setting DOESN'T have artificial gravity, then yeah, scrap that and just use a massive coilgun for the siege cannon and we'll come up with the iron for slugs somehow
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2012, 04:45:07 am »

I dunno, but the fighters should be kept at the station. There's more than place enough. When you need to rescue a merchant he's pretty much doomed anyway if you need to launch from the surface, regardless of which launching system you use. Hell, I doubt the figthers would be capable of getting anywhere far out in time. Depends on how good our sensors are, really.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2012, 05:24:55 am »

Yeah, I see what you're saying, so I'll scrap the rig. That should probably be the last of the changes unless you can think of anything else.

In other news, I've finally got the look of the Freya(the dedicated carrier corvette) finalized, though since I changed the name of the fighters, can anyone think of a better name for it? (I'd like to save the name Freya for a carrier class that carries Valkyrie fighters)

Spoiler: Carrier PICS! (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2012, 05:29:59 am »

You could try renaming the fighter again. Asgard is more of a name for a space base.

Could call them Vörðr, which are warden spirits.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2012, 06:25:06 am »

Sounds like a good name then!

Speaking of which, I'm gonna repost the stats for the Freya so as to see what can be improved for when the fighters are done

Name: HYR-1 "Freya" Parasite Corvette
Team:Everyone
Volume:5000m³
Time:5 Months
Description: The Freya is a small-to-medium, roughly elongated diamond-shaped corvette that acts more like a pocket carrier, as its purpose-designed quick-release cradles allow it to carry 6 Vörðrs. However, it still allows a fusion plant, engine, support for the crew of the fighters and mothership, as well enough maintenance and fuel for extended fighter operations. This, however, doesn't leave it with very much room at all for weaponry; in fact its only weapons are exactly 2 light laser turrets, one topside, one keel-side(they do, however, between them have full coverage); the lasers are just about powerful enough to be a threat to anything roughly the Freya's size, but anything larger and it would have real trouble penetrating armor, though the rate of fire does allow them to double as point defense weapons. The Freya does have some armoring as well as decent agility and speed, making it surprisingly tough.
Priorities:2 Improved Stowage(for the supplies, crew, fighters, and cradles), 1 Maneuverability, 1 composite armoring(increasing armor while not increasing mass too much), 1 dual-role turrets
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:39:54 am by tryrar »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2012, 07:27:31 am »

Can we influence the research?
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2012, 07:41:24 am »

Can we influence the research?
We can modify whom is on which projects. Maybe make changes on projects that are still being worked on. Dunno.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31