Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You have a time machine.  (Read 5166 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: You have a time machine.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 07:04:51 pm »

Yeah, but look at how inefficient that guy was! I'd do my best to leverage all of my future knowledge to get America to bomb the prison where he was being held all to hell and back, or maybe just be sitting out there with a crack squad of Proto-SEALs to cap him when he gets released.

I mean, there'd be some collateral damage, but I'd certainly be dammed for the number of deaths it'd cause anyway

I think there was a science-fiction book about a time traveler going back to kill Hitler.  Atomic weapons were still developed, and without knowledge of their later effects, one thousand (?) years later the highest form of life was a cockroach.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 07:06:35 pm »

999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,99errorstackoverflow
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »

1924, with standard knowledgy stuff again. More or less do the same thing with PreWWII America. Take a quick trip to waste Hitler, because, let's be honest, how could I *not* take advantage of that bit of fate tempting? Especially when I'd be there to guide America into main battle tanks a helluva lotta years ahead.

Except main battle tanks probably would never exist if you killed Hitler in the '20's
Magma is overrated.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »

999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,99errorstackoverflow
Hope you enjoy being ripped apart by the expansion of the universe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_rip
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 07:14:16 pm »

Not necisarily, remember that we'd still be in our chosen time frame, with all sorts of juicy future knowledge. I mean, the butterfly effect would kick in hard for anything dealing with human reactions, but a Super Pershing tank's going to be a Super Pershing tank either way, doncha know.

And I'll be honest, I'm fully aware of Hitler's TTEA, but how could I not take the risk? I mean, I'm savvy enough to know something's coming, right?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »

And then greatorder was the Hitler.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 08:00:40 pm »

I'd travel back in time to a few moments ago, and then travel back a few moments ago again, and then backtrack one more time. Now I finally have my barbershop quartet ready.

Before finding a music label to sign us in, we combine our 4 minds together to figure out how to do a 'factory reset' of the machine, so we can travel 3 more times (rendering the limit virtually null), and exploit various timelines for some quick money, and cool toys from the various eras. And why not? Annoy as many people as I can with 400% efficiency.

Of course, before I travel back in time to meet myself, thyself, and oneself, I would already have my mind on the task of working on a factory setting reset, and working on some ideas. You know, prime the well before I execute my adventure with 3 of the most awesome people I know.

EDIT:
While I'm at it, we can try to figure out how to re-work the machine into a Slider device, so instead of jumping between timelines, we can side-step them into alternate realities as well. We're already Dimension "A" or "1"; but I wanna check out locations like dimension "", chill out with a few gods and principalities and powers that live between cross-points of time/space.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:18:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 08:21:48 pm »

Oh man, so many possibilities. I could go back and become bros with some of the historical figures I've found to be especially inspirational, or go back and bitch slap the ones I've found especially annoying...

After a little thought, however, I think that I would most likely use such an opportunity to:

1) Go back in time about a decade or so, so that I could visit my past self while he was having a really shitty day and tell him, "You're going to grow up to be a truly amazing person one day; try not to worry too much over all the ultimately trivial bullshit you'll have to deal with along the way."

2) Go forward in time about 100 years, find out whether I continue to be an amazing person throughout my life, and if so, just how amazing.

3) Go forward a millennium and enjoy the beautiful, universe-spanning utopia that will have inevitably come about as a result of my existence.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »

I would choose the moment before getting visited by the genie.
I was going to go with the moment before I picked what times to go to. :P

Realistically though I would probably choose:
1)A point 100 years from now. That should be close enough that our records are still guaranteed to have the data on the winners of various sports games and other events that I could take advantage of it. In a worst case scenario it's also close enough for me to use iterative investing (invest now, jump forward 100 years and buy gold, return, sell, and invest again) to make the capital that I would need to do anything else.
2)A point 10,000 years from now.
3)A point 100,000,000 years from now.

The combination of points 2 and 3 should allow me to see any long term effects that I might be having, while 2 should serve as a source of future technology (though in a worst case I could apply iterative investing with technology at the 100 year point). Personally I think it's probably safer to avoid the past, as there is a good chance you could wipe yourself from existence messing with it if you aren't careful.

And a note for anyone thinking of going far into the future: Once you hit the point of 1 billion years the heat of the sun has increased to the point that earth's oceans are beginning to boil away unless some sort of climate engineering has been done. Once you reach the point of 3 billion years the earth no longer has liquid water, and has totally lost it's atmosphere by 4 billion years. At around 5 billion years the earth no longer exists, having been drawn into the sun as it moves into its red giant phase. So be careful how far you go forwards unless you have a combination tele porter/time machine instead of just a "movie style" time machine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:58 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 09:31:48 pm »

1) Yesterday, to squeeze out a bit more work for my test;
2) Wednesday, to avoid buying that shitty 'christmas' drink "Elf Esteem";
3) Tuesday, so I could have done more revision for the insulin test.

Life is a huge bunch of what if's. Dealing with that is part of life. The moment you change something, a whole new set of "what if's" comes about.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 09:35:25 pm »

So be careful how far you go forwards unless you have a combination tele porter/time machine instead of just a "movie style" time machine.

Which is exactly what was said in the first post.  It is basically a TARDIS that can only go three places/times.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:10 pm »

So be careful how far you go forwards unless you have a combination tele porter/time machine instead of just a "movie style" time machine.
Which is exactly what was said in the first post.  It is basically a TARDIS that can only go three places/times.
Okay more of the point that I was getting at was if you decide to go that far ahead make sure not to choose "right here" or "earth" as a destination. You would probably want to jump forward a smaller amount first, locate a different planet to jump to, and then choose that as your farther forwards destination.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 09:41:20 pm »

One of the main probalems I have is, as I've pointed out, you're alone, you have no identity or community, no one knows you, you may well violate some random religious ceremony, you have no money worth anything, You look very weird, you have little to no disease resistance against whatever might be there, And any food before the publishing of The Jungle is likely to kill you, or at least make you crap yourself.

These even count in the future too. Although you won't die from small pox, you may well get some new disease everyone ELSE is vaccinated for. and the no money, no identity, would be even worse.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 09:47:58 pm »

Okay more of the point that I was getting at was if you decide to go that far ahead make sure not to choose "right here" or "earth" as a destination. You would probably want to jump forward a smaller amount first, locate a different planet to jump to, and then choose that as your farther forwards destination.

"right here" taken literally would be the worst position.  Considering the shifting terrain and revolution of the solar system through the Milky way, you could wind up inside the planet, within the sun, or within deep space.

One of the main probalems I have is, as I've pointed out, you're alone, you have no identity or community, no one knows you, you may well violate some random religious ceremony, you have no money worth anything, You look very weird, you have little to no disease resistance against whatever might be there, And any food before the publishing of The Jungle is likely to kill you, or at least make you crap yourself.

These even count in the future too. Although you won't die from small pox, you may well get some new disease everyone ELSE is vaccinated for. and the no money, no identity, would be even worse.

There is also the language barrier.  That would hinder most time travelers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4