Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: You have a time machine.  (Read 5161 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
You have a time machine.
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »

A genie has granted you a time machine. You may choose three points in time and space to visit as often and for as long as you wish. These are start points, so, for example, if you chose 1840, you could spend two years there without worrying about whether you'd also asked for 1841 and 1842. You may bring up to $1 million worth of modern-day technology or goods. Remember that just because you can bring it doesn't mean you can use it (good luck charging your laptop in the 18th century).

Where do you choose?

Personally, I think I'd choose New York City in 1925, bringing a million dollars worth of 1925 currency to go wild with; Newfoundland in 1000 AD, bringing enough hardy modern livestock and cold-weather crops to keep the Norse going; and Alexandria, circa 200 BC, bearing a printing press (that could be replicated, yes?)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: You have a time machine.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »

I would choose the moment before getting visited by the genie.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:55:26 pm »

win
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:55:40 pm »

50 years in the future.
100 years in the future.
200 years in the future.

I'd stop and live in the first one with tech to make me immortal. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:09:47 pm »

He's got you there.

Assuming there's a "no wishing for more wishes"-style clause, I'd probably choose:

1. Parthia, 97 AD (ok, maybe 96 AD to give myself time to set up). The Chinese envoy Gan Ying would come through the region in 97 AD, seeking to reach the vaguely-known Roman Empire. He gave up and turned back, leaving one of the biggest what-if scenarios in history.

2. Florence, 1476 AD. Leonardo Da Vinci would be leaving his apprenticeship and setting out on his own. Would enjoy just hanging with Leo, but even more interested to see what he could do if given some modern blueprints and materials to work with. (Yes, I'm into fucking up the timestream like a boss)

3.  Somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere, circa 2500 AD. Hopefully shit'll be interesting (especially after my work in the previous two timelines led to competing Roman and Han Empires in space by 1600 AD...another 900 years should have given them the chance to get into spaaaaaace in a big way)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:22:35 pm »

Wrong order. Pick up Leonardo first, then go back and forward.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »

This is exactly what I was going to say. Damn it. I assume we become unhinged time travelers, and that all that matters for chronistic considerations is the actual date. Is that a fixed point, or does exist in reference to our own temporal progression?

So yeah - if we stay hinged, one of the time periods will be just before meeting the genie.
If not, 1784, so I can have a say in the founding of the United States and huge bits of important technological history. Woot woot. If nothing else, it's far enough back that I could hopefully use my FUTURE KNOWLEDGE to build up some sway and alter future events, which I couldn't do in the modern day.

The second will be 88,000,000 B.C. Dinosaur hunts, ho.

The final will be 4,000 A.D. Something interesting must have happened by then. Assuming, again, unhinged, I will get to see at least several planets held sway under the Glorious Cyborg Dinosaur Republic of the United States, a utopian future society that is everything I could have hoped for and more.

And if that doesn't work, I have the perfect time points chosen to use my new find the perfect dinosaur.

Note that I fully intend to use future cryotech to abuse this as well.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »

The point where the most species of humans are about, for one, AND ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE FORGETTING THE IN SPACE BIT. Why stay on world? I'd go for somewhere most likely to have some vestige of advanced alien life. And lastly... the first human.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 05:46:49 pm »

Early neolithic, now, 3k AD. I'd bring 1mil $ worth of weed and Cheetos.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »

Some near-future dates (4000 AD or so) so I can get me some socialized immortality.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 06:16:40 pm »

If only I could choose more.  I have a book by the name of "The collected What If?"  That contains many scenarios that I would want to see and affect. 

and then there are all the events of the future that I would want to see and change, and the list becomes even larger.  I don't think that I could choose three times to travel to.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »

Near current scenario, maybe a decade or a little more ago, with all million dollars in knowledgy stuff so that I can amass a ridiculous fortune. If I'm allowed to return to the current day, then I'd probably forgo this one.

30 years war, with standard knowledgy stuff as well as some fancy equipment, including steps to establish power generation for my computer from base materials. Establish myself as close to Gustav Adolphus, prevent his death, lessen the severity of the 30 years, see if I can establish a modernly minded Swedish Empire

1924, with standard knowledgy stuff again. More or less do the same thing with PreWWII America. Take a quick trip to waste Hitler, because, let's be honest, how could I *not* take advantage of that bit of fate tempting? Especially when I'd be there to guide America into main battle tanks a helluva lotta years ahead.

If I've got the option, something 226 years in the future, so I could do the same thing with the modern day.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 06:54:15 pm »

Forget the other two options and the excessive loot. I'll take the long shot and pick about an hour before the big bang and a stick I nabbed off the ground, in order to find out what happens if you poke a singularity with a stick. Maybe a camera too, to record it or whatev'.

Barring that... Siddhartha, Jesus, Muhammed. And a tape recorder/camera. Maybe a taser or some knockout gas or somethin', too. Hostile natives, probably. Get some questions answered and on tape, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 07:00:53 pm »

Yeah, but look at how inefficient that guy was! I'd do my best to leverage all of my future knowledge to get America to bomb the prison where he was being held all to hell and back, or maybe just be sitting out there with a crack squad of Proto-SEALs to cap him when he gets released.

I mean, there'd be some collateral damage, but I'd certainly be dammed for the number of deaths it'd cause anyway
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 07:03:08 pm »

Hmm.
Go back to last week, obtain powerball winnings,

Forward end of the academic year, see how I did, use to force self to work harder.

Lastly, go back in time, assasinate Lincoln, frame John Wiles Booth give the allied powers a computer chip.

And why? Because they all benefit me directly far more then being lost in 18th century Britain with no money, name, clothes, Identity, or disease resistance to save me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2 3 4