Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: A Public Apology  (Read 17530 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A Public Apology
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »

Though I wouldn't call myself a fan of the shipping shenanigans, I really don't see the big deal about it.

In fact, to be completely honest, when people on the forums get upset over such silly things, I find that it disrupts the usually very accepting, open atmosphere that makes this place so great. I mean, how are we all supposed to be friends if we can't even feel comfortable confiding in one another about how horrible and perverse we truly are?
Personally speaking, if "accepting and open" means that I'd have to tolerate people publicly writing erotica about me, I'd much rather leave Bay 12.

The point is that many people aren't comfortable because of it and it violates the rules. That should be enough for everyone to know not to do it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:55:37 pm »

Though I wouldn't call myself a fan of the shipping shenanigans, I really don't see the big deal about it.

In fact, to be completely honest, when people on the forums get upset over such silly things, I find that it disrupts the usually very accepting, open atmosphere that makes this place so great. I mean, how are we all supposed to be friends if we can't even feel comfortable confiding in one another about how horrible and perverse we truly are?
I was kind of under the impression that half of the people here hate each other because they thought of the ones that they don't like as horrible and perverse.  x3

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 10:56:41 pm »

If I have one complaint for the whole shebang, it's that it wasn't an "opt in" thing. I can sorta sympathize with those who got written about without their permission.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »

For a small forum we do manage to have large amounts of drama, don't we? I think someone should commission a study.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:16 pm »

Personally speaking, if "accepting and open" means that I'd have to tolerate people publicly writing erotica about me, I'd much rather leave Bay 12.

The point is that many people aren't comfortable because of it and it violates the rules. That should be enough for everyone to know not to do it.

Agreed, MSH. I have nothing else to say on the subject that can be uttered in any civil discussion, so I'll leave it out.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »

It was an exceptionally bad idea to write or distribute anything that people didn't explicitly agree to be used in, because that is pretty fucking creepy. No apologies needed to me, if I was used in anything that was written; I'd probably laugh at it, if nobody else involved was offended.

I was kind of under the impression that half of the people here hate each other because they thought of the ones that they don't like as horrible and perverse.  x3
This along with loads of passive-aggressiveness and smug superiority tend to be the main causes of conflicts that aren't related to politics or religion. Frankly, we as a community are a lot more irritating, self-righteous, and closeminded than we would like to think. Eh, maybe the SRS BSNS bothers me more because I've concluded that there's no point in being overly serious when I'm going to be dead a few decades down the road anyhow. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:00 pm »

This forum tends to host pretty bizarre stuff... and I don't mean only that whole pony stuff incident, or this one (which to my untrained eye seems notably simmilar), but also many of the threads in life advice (which, I confess, I often find fascinating. My favorite ever concerned a 15 y/o kid who wanted advice on fighting two trained martial artists, both older than him. But I digress). Maybe we need some "avoid intimate or personal stuff inasmuch as it's possible" suggestion (as opposed to a hard rule)?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 11:14:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This along with loads of passive-aggressiveness and smug superiority tend to be the main causes of conflicts that aren't related to politics or religion. Frankly, we as a community are a lot more irritating, self-righteous, and closeminded than we would like to think. Eh, maybe the SRS BSNS bothers me more because I've concluded that there's no point in being overly serious when I'm going to be dead a few decades down the road anyhow. :|
I find it somewhat similar to the levels of a community that interacts in person, rather than the internet.  Most forums that I've been on have a more "the internet" feel, even when the community is small.

This forum tends to host pretty bizarre stuff...

You can say that again. x3

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »

Although I definitely think that if someone doesn't want to be involved in said shenanigans then their wishes should be respected, I am also aware that this is the internet, and should thus for the most part not be taken seriously. I don't think that simply communicating with the other members about how something makes you uncomfortable and that you'd like to be left out of it is all that much to ask.

...Or maybe I've just grown so used to Bay12 always seeming so relaxed (at least rules-wise), that the idea of it becoming too stuck up/over-moderated worries me on some subtle level.

While a fair bit of the stuff I see on these boards certainly pisses me off from time to time, that isn't going to stop me from regarding you all as my inferior-yet-still-highly-valued forum-kin.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:34:39 pm »

This shipping stuff has got to stop, guys. It's extremely creepy and inappropriate.  As the rules say, there are plenty of places on the internet to appease your perverse lust, but this isn't one of them. I didn't say anything before, but I figured something like this would happen as soon as you all started on it.

There was a single mistake of judgement made, in a thread in which a great many other people had participated. There was a single incident of perversity, which was arguably lustful, and even that only became a problem because of someone intentionally breaking the few rules posted, on purpose, arguably to cause trouble, and if you legitimately think that anything you just said had jack shit to do with what the thread was about or the majority of people in it, honestly? You're kind of stupid. Whatever, it's an apology thread, I know I shouldn't be insulting people, but if you're going to slam on people, slam on them for the fucking shit they did, not the stuff that only exists in your messed up head.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:50 pm »

I don't care what kind of perverted smut people write about me, as long as I'm pitching.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:47 pm »

I at least asked the person I accidnetally offended. Because yeah, writing creppy shit about a person, "ironcially" or not, is pretty fucked up when you don't ask their permission/disregard their anwser.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:11 pm »

Yeah, it is, and I think if I'd thought for five minutes about itrather than saying "ooh, license to be outrageous, what fun", I'd have recognized that and at least, you know, shipped myself with Time Cube Guy or something. But, well, I didn't stop to think. And I was a right dick for not.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »

Regular fiction shipping is one thing, but when you actually ship forumites you're taking the circlejerk too far, into hypersphere-jerk territory.

Do not go there.
Shoes...

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 11:56:02 pm »

Hmm, I never heard about this. It must have been in general discussion, because I never go there. I always hear people talk about stuff like this and it's always in general discussion. Toady should probably permalock it so people can go talk about homestuck and feelings in some other internet cesspool.

I at least asked the person I accidnetally offended. Because yeah, writing creppy shit about a person, "ironcially" or not, is pretty fucked up when you don't ask their permission/disregard their anwser.

Miners died, slaving away in Central Africa to get the rare earth metals required to support the infrastructure that allows you to organize your thoughts onto glyphs, convert them into binary code, and put them into packets where they're uploaded onto a board where other people can see the glyphs, comprehend them, and have feelings based on them entirely separately from the original owner's thoughts. You have used this to express a message in which you misspell "accidentally","creepy",and "ironically" and expressed the exact wrong sentiment. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13