Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: A Public Apology  (Read 17537 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: A Public Apology
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 12:03:40 am »

Maybe we need some "avoid intimate or personal stuff inasmuch as it's possible" suggestion (as opposed to a hard rule)?
Fuck no. But I will accept avoiding any intimate or personal stuff that is not freely given. I like an intimate and interconnected community, but private and personal matters need to have people's permission before being posted, distributed, written about, etc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 12:05:04 am »

We seem to be going into argument territory a bit far, considering this was an apology in thread form.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 12:06:29 am »

Seems more like a discussion to me, which honestly is more valuable than a simple apology.

We're the community; let's talk about how we want it to be :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 12:12:25 am »

I should also clarify that if the thread had been made specifically for the purpose of picking on people or attaining any real sense of sexual arousal, my stance on the matter would be totally different. But it wasn't. It was a silly little idea that was all done in good fun, not to make anyone feel bad or uncomfortable. Which is why I feel the wrongness of it is being blown out of proportion.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 12:13:54 am »

Thank you Robocorn, for helping my pathetic self confidence and pointing out that I have touble spelling things. Which as an aspiring author who is terrified of failing at writing because of said spelling problem makes me feel wose than I already do. I truly thank you for pointing out my flaws you fucking assdick. I thought you were a cool dude who didn't point out peoples personal fears and flaws, apparently I was wrong.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 12:15:00 am »

I should also clarify that if the thread had been made specifically for the purpose of picking on people or attaining any real sense of sexual arousal, my stance on the matter would be totally different. But it wasn't. It was a silly little idea that was all done in good fun, not to make anyone feel bad or uncomfortable. Which is why I feel the wrongness of it is being blown out of proportion.

OK, sure, then GlyphGryph is innocent. But then I am all the more guilty, for taking something innocent and twisting it for the sake of being outrageous.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:29 am »

Man, I just wanted to write some stories about package delivery.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:31 am »

Mcclay - Take a walk for a while. Calm down. Don't get your self muted.

Robocorn - Stop being an asshole.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:41 am »

We're the community; let's talk about how we want it to be :)

If so? I have to get this off my chest, and I'm normally a very cheery or happy go lucky dude. I know it's just an internet forum but it's also a very tight community.

Stop accepting creepiness.

Seriously. I am totally and in every way aware that these are the DF boards, and although the upper board humor has never appealed to me, it's at least firmly in "Refuge in Audacity" territory and no one takes it very seriously.

But in GD and other lower boards there are a lot of users who are really fucking creepy. I see people who:

1) Can't understand normal humor for whatever reason and take things literally which tends to come out incredibly creepy, maybe not intentionally
2) Have no sense of social boundaries in general
3) Are legitimate, actual lonely nerds who can't get a girlfriend and passively hit or talk suggestively to any girl online (I have never met these people before bay 12)
4) Are so involved in whatever fandom or Internet group (MLP, homestuck, furries, whatever) that they not only bring it into everything they do but consistently make sexual allusions to it here and there
5) Essentially "play" weirdos/creepers, like if they're a character in a play on the forum, whether for trolling or cheap laughs or other reasons, and then think this is an excellent excuse to cross those lines
6) Are just flat out creepers for any other reason.

Now I realize this is part of just about any large community. But up until the point where someone really crosses the line we basically just let creepy/socially disruptive people creep on. I have hit the report button pre-emptively many times when I see this kind of thing coming on. So please: even if someone is a somewhat respected member of the community, do not be afraid to report them for being a creeper if you can see a crossed line and a thread war closing in.

Everyone should request to see this because it is the best thing to come out of this scandal and not creepy at all.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 12:24:50 am »

An announcement: I feel I've really, really damaged the trust the community had in me (if it had any- it's kind of hard to tell with something so nebulous), and also pissed off a number of people whom I respect and like. I was a creepy, thoughtless, heartless bastard.

As a result, I am, starting now, taking a hiatus from bay12, as penance, if you will; really I think I just need to take a break from the community for a good while. I doubt some of the wounds I've inflicted will ever really fully heal, which is just as well, considering how deep they were. It may be for a month, it may be until the release is out, it may be a year, it could be permanent. I may see you all around, or I may not.

But thank you all for the good times, the bad times, and calling me out on my shit in the worst times. Y'all are probably the best forum community I've ever been a part of. You're something special. And don't ever forget it.

dhokarena56 vanishes in a puff of smoke.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 12:27:23 am »

Everyone should request to see this because it is the best thing to come out of this scandal and not creepy at all.

Am I allowed to say that I won the fanfiction fiasco?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 12:30:15 am »

As an addmendum to Freeform's rant I would like to say that maybe before you bring the wrath of the mods down upon some poor guys head talk it out with them first. A lot of the times they may not know what their doing is creppy/wrong and will be glab (if not a little bit embarssed) if you warn them about it in a non-assholish way.

I also hope no one finds me creppy, I have legitmately tried to be a less of a werido as possible on here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 12:33:10 am »

I think really we shouldn't need specific rules here, besides "Don't be a fucking creep."  Just because this is the internet doesn't mean you have leave to act creepy.  If you wouldn't say it irl, don't say it here, you know?

I didn't actually see what dhokarena posted, I missed it.  I always miss the good drama.

I remember a couple shippy sort of threads back in my nostalgia-goggles times.  Back when Vester et al were around.  I don't care if I'm wearing nostalgia goggles, I miss those times.  Nothing got creepy, because the forum people back then weren't creeps.  Freeform's right, there's been an increase in creepy people.  I'll refrain from giving theories on why to avoid being confrontational.
Shoes...

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 12:33:37 am »

Thank you Robocorn, for helping my pathetic self confidence and pointing out that I have touble spelling things. Which as an aspiring author who is terrified of failing at writing because of said spelling problem makes me feel wose than I already do. I truly thank you for pointing out my flaws you fucking assdick. I thought you were a cool dude who didn't point out peoples personal fears and flaws, apparently I was wrong.

Here's the problem at the root of the matter, you care about something I, someone who does not know you, monitor you, or really take issue with you, and will, in all likelihood will never meet you. This site does not have a terms of use policy that dictates perfect accuracy in identification. You could be a struggling housewife in Missoula drowning her troubles with cheap white wine and strategy roguelikes. You could be a physics student in Bergen, Norway who used to play Liberal Crime Squad in between writing papers. You could be a 14-25 year old nerd (Spoilers: This is my default impression of everyone on this forum)

The point is, I have difficulty believing that you thought I was cool in any regard, as any evidence of such surely only existed by omission of how much of an awkward jerk I am. Similarly, you must realize the slim chances of my actual awareness of your personal goals and fears. You, and perhaps everyone else, would do well to alter your perception of your internet as a place in which you are identified as a person, into a place where you are identified by an assortment of delivered ideas. When you don't take things so seriously and learn to read the subtext there might be less of a chance of you getting your feelings hurt.

You might consider this a flippant disregard of your bruised ego. I prefer to consider the effort I took into softening my tone and backpedaling into  a more sincere apology than the "Sorry dude." it would have taken me five seconds to type.

Fake edit: Have you tried getting spellcheck?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 12:42:31 am »

Shit, I do apperciate the fact that your apology was semi sincere but you still come off kind of dickish. Fuck, who the hell am I to judege. I thought (and more or less still think) that your are a pretty coll guy because of your actions, Space Adventure was a pretty cool forum game and your posts around the forum have been intelligent and all that jazz. Also I type most of this shit on a Kindle so I can't really get spellcheck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13