Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Web Comics: what are you reading?  (Read 9831 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Web Comics: what are you reading?
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:10 am »

I read a loooot of webcomics; most of them have been posted, but you all still managed to miss a few of my regulars;

Cura te ipsum - Many worlds. One man with the ability to move between them.... from each universe. Cue a shitload of Charlie Everetts. All up, very good, if a little dark. Black Pen on a white background.

Propellor - Sort of film noirish bent about a guy that perfects a touch-teleportation device... and promptly uses it for both good and bad. Excellent art and realistic dialogue, but still relatively early in the story.

Specimen B-28 - A redneck bum is abducted by aliens so often he becomes friends with them. He may or may not have freaky psychic luck powers. Gorgeous artwork, though some of the aliens do look like something from a furry convention.

The Non-Adventures of Wonderella - Imagine a cross between Superman and Wonder Woman. Now imagine she's a lazy, lying, cheating, capitalistic alcoholic. Who can jump hella high. Sort of a parody of all things superheroes, with a very bold and colourful style (think early Scary Go Round).

Tweep - Think Questionable Content, but less insanity and sex obsessed robots, more small town hipsters. Surprisngly good.

Next Town Over - Magic + Westerns. A zombie(?) women is supremely pissed off with the wizard that did it to her, and is hunting him down through hell and high water. Incredible art. Currently on a sort of hiatus, yet the series of comics used as filler are better than many other's main efforts.

Red Moon Rising - Described as magic and steampunk, but decidedly lacking in the latter. Imagine a sort of late WWII/early Cold War Tech level, but with cool magic and a well built world. Great art, good story, though somewhat dark and depressing.

Alpha-Flag - A diver falls off a boat, and wakes up in some sort of weird inner-space, and has to reincorporate the scattered bits of his own psyche. Unique art style, good story, little dark.

There's a few more, but I honestly can't be arsed digging up all the links for em :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2012, 02:10:29 pm »

I think the most embarassing web comic I ever read and liked, but I cannot find again (and havn't seen it in like 5 years), was this super steriotypical webcomic about

A) A Amnesiac happy go lucky Inventor who creates an awsome machine (no joke)
B) His Demon possessed best friend (with two other possessed brothers)
C) His Best Friends Witch Sister whos broom turns into a bazooka
D) Dimensional travel
E) I think there was also a cat girl who used to be a cat but fell inlove with one of them... but that could be another webcomic (It could have been the Elgoonish >_<)

I am sure it probably ended a long time ago...

I think what I liked about it was just the set up in how anything could happen. The issues I had with it is that I felt like it kinda set things up but didn't really play with the concepts.
Bam. Emergency Exit

It had a reboot a year and a half ago, but it's still going.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »

Xin ran into trouble with the death of her mother. Then Rob ran into health issues. So right now the series is just a sporadic text updates without a regular solid artist.

Actually, they're back to fairly regular weekly comic page updates now, in addition to a weekly prequel story text update.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2012, 06:53:12 pm »

I'm reading Erfworld now. I'm at a part where this guy dressed up as a member of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band just showed up and now every other line is a Beatles reference.

This comic references stuff more often than I thought was possible.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2012, 02:03:40 am »

Alright, I remember a webcomic about a school for superhero kids underneath a normal school. Aliens end up attacking and everything is weird. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2012, 06:21:12 am »

Alright, I remember a webcomic about a school for superhero kids underneath a normal school. Aliens end up attacking and everything is weird. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

PS238. At ps238.malletspace.net

Good comic, same author as nodwick.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »

Woops pressed post instead of copying and pasting
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:47 pm »

I'll link the ones that aren't incredibly well-known.

My primary trawl is: (Checked often, usually daily)
Sluggy Freelance
Girl Genius
Sam and Fuzzy
Homestuck
Scary-go-round (through all it's iterations)
Gunnerkrig Court
Prequel -or- Making a Cat Cry: The Adventure It's on my daily check list but updates once a month. That should tell you something. Katia is the most adorable. Simple fact. And terrible things don't stop happening to her! And the nightmare sequences... by god, they are frickin' kickass. Worth reading the animation quality and special strips alone, honestly.

Secondaries: (checked somewhat frequently, usually catch up in batches)
SMBC
Schlock Mercenary
Dr. McNinja
xkcd
The Zombie Hunters - Best zombie comic? Yes.
Paranatural
Dinosaur Comics
Dresden Codak
Broodhollow - An anxiety-ridden man, struggling to overcome his elaborate fears and phobias, slowly learns that they may be an unlikely key to understanding a town’s disturbing supernatural events. Or so he believes.
Decrypting Rita - Very interesting stuff with panels. Still no idea what's going on, really, but it's awesome. Colours represent genres/strips, and there's crissing and crossing and all sorts of stuff.
Zebra Girl - Really good, if a bit dark at times. Girl gets a demon body thanks to her brothers screwed up spell, and the rest of the comic is basically the fallout from this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:02:40 pm by GlyphGryph »

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:13 pm »

Oh, man, thanks for reminding me about Broodhollow, GG. Found it a whiles back but forgot the name.

Now for my contribution(s)...
Amazing Super Powers- Gag a day comic and a pretty goodun' as it happens.
Bug- See above.
Dead Winter- Haven't been keeping up on it, but from what I've read of it, pretty well made zombie comic.
Insufferable- Superhero comic based on a batman expy and his asshole son trying to find out the truth about their wife/mother.
In fact, most anything from Thrillbent is pretty great.
False Positive- Bizarre Twilight Zone style greatness in bite sized mini-comics.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:01 am »

My list can probably be broken down into the following
Stuff I actively read with the release schedule 1:1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stuff I check on occasionally, but semi-consistently
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Particular stuff I'd flag from the above as my absolute, ultimate, complete and utter favorites:
Girl Genius
Gunnerkrigg Court
Narbonic
Skin Horse
The Fox Sister
The Order of the Stick

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 05:49:51 am »