Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Web Comics: what are you reading?  (Read 9832 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web Comics: what are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2012, 11:08:57 pm »

Unsounded
Much more conventional of a comic, but it goes along the same concept. Unique magical world with a lot of worldbuilding and lots of info on how stuff works like magic. The artist has a knack for keeping panels pretty dynamic.

Duke, you have drastically undersold this comic... I've been binging on it since my last post. Beautiful artwork, creative panel layouts, a refreshingly gritty and cosmopolitan fantasy setting, and a representation of magic I've never seen before. I tend to get tired of high-magic fantasy pretty easily, but I love the whole idea of magic borrowing or repurposing the essence of things... stealing the edge from 100 blades of grass to make a cutting spell, taking the beauty of a forest to disguise yourself, etc.

Easily a new favorite. Thanks for the link!

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:23 am »

Just found a pretty decent, relatively new-ish comic.
Broodhollow, nice sense of humor and probably going to get creepy soon. I got a slight Twin Peaks vibe from it, personally.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »

Unsounded
Much more conventional of a comic, but it goes along the same concept. Unique magical world with a lot of worldbuilding and lots of info on how stuff works like magic. The artist has a knack for keeping panels pretty dynamic.

Duke, you have drastically undersold this comic... I've been binging on it since my last post. Beautiful artwork, creative panel layouts, a refreshingly gritty and cosmopolitan fantasy setting, and a representation of magic I've never seen before. I tend to get tired of high-magic fantasy pretty easily, but I love the whole idea of magic borrowing or repurposing the essence of things... stealing the edge from 100 blades of grass to make a cutting spell, taking the beauty of a forest to disguise yourself, etc.

This is beautiful. The way the area around the pages is an extension of them is more immersive than anything I've seen in comics before.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:15 am »

Unsounded

This is beautiful. The way the area around the pages is an extension of them is more immersive than anything I've seen in comics before.
Based on the quotes I clicked the link.

I finished the archive in a day.

Added to my RSS feed. Now to click a few more and see if I can expand my reading list.

The example panels are useful to lazy people like me. I might have to pick up Vibe and Erfworld.
That was why I did it. I know I'll click a spoiler but not a link.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 11:59:37 am »

Yeah, Unsounded was great.  Thanks for sharing that.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »

It's seriously rocketing up to being my favorite webcomic and I've only know it's existed for a few days. The art is beautiful, the world is crazy deep, the characters are well written, and most of all they all have their own distinct speaking voices.

That's one of the big things I've noticed recently since noticing it in my writing. For instance, I think Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics, Adventure Time comic) does this really poorly. All his writing sounds pretty much the same, even when it's different characters. At best it sounds like "Ryan North being Finn," "Ryan North being Hamlet," or "Ryan North being Utahraptor". Unsounded doesn't struggle with this at all.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »

I read a lot. Like 29 regularly read ones and about 10 other less frequently read ones.
Basically the top ones that I read (and haven't already been mentioned) are:

Order of the stick- Simple comic that pokes fun at D&D. Currently at 863 comics and a bunch of fun. Updates about once every week or two, but recently the artist injured his hand so it hasn't updated for a little while well he recovers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

El Goonish Shive - A funny comic about a group of high-school age kids and their various transformative shenanigans. Has a few more serious moments, but mostly runs on funny. Updates MWF.

Girl Genius - In a world of mad scientists called "sparks" our main heroine is the craziest of them all. Basically the founder of the Gaslamp Fantasy Genre (Warning: TvTropes!).

Dominic Deegan - It started as a gag-a-day strip about a seer but got a fair bit more serious as it went along. It still descends into puns every now and then though. Currently updates MTWTF, but is getting into the final chapters of the comic.

Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures - A fairly funny webcomic that relies on a combination of gags and character development. Currently updates MWF but has a tendency to upload without shading and then shade later. Has a large amount of art development from beginning to end.

NerfNow! - A gaming comic that relies on one-shot gags. Updates every few days with a new comic. Can be a little fanservice heavy at times, but never actually shows anything.

Exterminatus Now - A hilarious comic that is what you get when you mix Sonic the Hedgehog, Warhammer 40K, and a bunch of black comedy. Updates once a week usually and contains some language and blood.

Yosh! Saga - A comic about a bumbling artist (who is invincible to everything) in a world that magic has been unleashed on. Has a fair amount of robot girls as well. Alternates between character development, jokes, and more serious stuff. Updates MWF.

Gunnerkrigg Court - A comic about a girl going to school in a world divided, one side driven by technology and the other by magic. Updates MWF and is powered by character development.

MegaTokyo - A comic about two friends who go to Tokyo and get stuck there due to spending all of their money. Runs on character development but due to the fact that Tokyo is two worlds overlaid on each other (one of magical girls, zombies, and other anime things with the other being realistic) can have some hilarious moments at times. Updates infrequently, but as it has 1348 comics if you pace yourself you could probably stretch it out a fair bit.

Sequential Art - A comic about a artist with large eyebrows, his various friends, and the various misadventures that happen. Fairly funny at times and updates often (artist runs two webcomics and does a MWF between the two of them).

Jack - A webcomic about a world where Furries have since replaced humans. The title character has become the grim reaper and the majority of the comic takes place in hell. A very deep comic, but contains large amounts of adult content (language, blood, gore, nudity and various combinations thereof, don't even try to read this at work).
Spoiler: SFW page (click to show/hide)

Housepets! - A webcomic in a world where pets can talk and the various misadventures they get into. There is some more story-arc driven stuff, but it's mostly behind the scenes. Updates MWF.

Grim Tales and PowerPuff Girls Doujinshi - Amazing comics. The author has basically taken all of your favorite cartoons as a kid (Grim Adventures, PPG, Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack) and thrown them together with a few original ones. Amazing art styles and very fun to read. Specifically Grim Tales deals with the future son and daughter(who has a brother complex) of Grim and Mandy from Grim Adventures and PPG Doujinshi deals with everyone when they were kids.
Spoiler: Grim Adventures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: PPG Doujinshi (click to show/hide)

Those are pretty much the top of what I read, minus what other people have listed before (namely Schlock Mercenary, Least I Could Do, Looking for Group, Unsounded, xkcd, and Dresden Codak).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:51:28 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 03:00:42 pm »

Wow, how could I forget this. Technically started as an underground print comic in 1989, went online in 1996. Hilarious and highly subversive:

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/

Spoiler: sample comics (click to show/hide)

First online strip: http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/1996-06-10/index.html

My kind of humor.  Perfect for learning new ways of thinking.  And laughing.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »

I could post a long thing of comics as I have read many, however many are not as good in retrospective, I have grown tired of them, or they are finished or abandoned. The ones that still update, update regularly, I still read, or I can highly recommend are... have all already been listed. Huh. Well, here's some things that deserve more readers than they get or have not been mentioned:

Freefall:
"Hard" sci-fi by an Asimov fan, good characters and robots, interesting sci-fi conundrums, great alien and non-human insights to society. Manages light humor with every strip on top of plots and character development. Only excusable furry character of any comic in existence as it's actually integrated into the setting and ideas tossed around which for a webcomic is unheard of. It's been around forever, big archive, give it awhile to get started and develop characters and it has some good overarching plots. Somewhere is a huge word-of-god infodump from the writer detailing more about the scifi setting that was actually an interesting read.

Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life:
Regarding that Scifi should be used to comment on the present, this is an excellent comic. A journey of mishaps following two robots through life after work with plenty of funny and depressing moments. Less off-the-wall than Hitchhiker's Guide, but a similar idea. Great example of a well executed, self contained, finished comic.

Transient Man:
Professional artists collaborated on a strange and original setting following the saga of a (possibly insane) homeless man. I really can't say too much, best if you just read it. High quality artwork, excellent setting and story. Be warned, the free online ends with "to be continued". Crap ending.

There's a shortage of good science fiction in webcomics. I've read a lot of scifi comics.  :/

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 08:43:42 pm »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:17 pm »

Hey guys.
http://alessonislearned.com/
You may have beaten me to the punch, but that won't stop me from repeating it:

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible got updated today! And it is more beautiful than you ever imagined.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2012, 09:12:19 pm »

I really want to like Erfworld, but... more often then not its just a blog post of a fictional world, without very much in the terms of comics...
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 04:50:11 am »

I really want to like Erfworld, but... more often then not its just a blog post of a fictional world, without very much in the terms of comics...
So far as I know (and I'm not a huge fan so forgive any inaccuracies) the series originally began with Rob Balder writing and Jamie Noguchi doing art.

After the first book was finished and moved from the OotS subpages, Jamie Noguchi left the team and began other art projects.

http://www.erfworld.com/category/site-news/page/107/

A new artist Xin Ye began working on the series.

Xin ran into trouble with the death of her mother. Then Rob ran into health issues. So right now the series is just a sporadic text updates without a regular solid artist.

Personally I stopped following the series after it moved from OotS. Whether or not it completes another story arc doesn't bother me, it was interesting enough while it had a solid artist but now it's just not visually appealing enough for me to continue following.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:01 am »

It's too fractionated for me to follow...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 06:48:07 am »

I think the most embarassing web comic I ever read and liked, but I cannot find again (and havn't seen it in like 5 years), was this super steriotypical webcomic about

A) A Amnesiac happy go lucky Inventor who creates an awsome machine (no joke)
B) His Demon possessed best friend (with two other possessed brothers)
C) His Best Friends Witch Sister whos broom turns into a bazooka
D) Dimensional travel
E) I think there was also a cat girl who used to be a cat but fell inlove with one of them... but that could be another webcomic (It could have been the Elgoonish >_<)

I am sure it probably ended a long time ago...

I think what I liked about it was just the set up in how anything could happen. The issues I had with it is that I felt like it kinda set things up but didn't really play with the concepts.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:11:04 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6