Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DWARF FORTRESS CD  (Read 2053 times)

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
DWARF FORTRESS CD
« on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:13 pm »

Is it possible to burn dwarf fortress onto a disc from another computer and then play it on your computer with disc.because I cant get it since my dad is afraid of getting viruses.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: DWARF FORTRESS CD
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »

You would still have to put it on the second computer from the disc, I think, but otherwise, I don't see why not.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:57 pm »

You could always use a stick, DF is like 10mb anyway, and I am 100% sure DF will work on a stick, and be much simpler then a disk.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:03:35 pm »

You could always try to educate your father about viruses. How they work, how they spread, why they're written, etc., and prove to him that Dwarf Fortress is absolutely virus-free. Perhaps explain to him that infecting his donors with viruses would be slightly against Tarn Adams' best interes-

aw, whatever. Yeah, you could copy the files over from a disk.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »

Do both.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:37 am »

Sure you can put Dwarf Fortress on a CD, but can you play it from a CD? After all, DF needs to create the saves, and CDs are read only.
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:01 am »

Play on a CD?  Not without fiddly redirections to a writable storage are I'd image.  Even playing from a memory stick can be awkward; you need one with a high-speed data transfer, and probably a small DF world, because it can take ages to load and save games otherwise.

Best bet is to convince your dad that DF is safe.  It runs from a single directory so it doesn't install crap all over your computer, and a virus checker can easily scan the zip file and the folder.  Playing from a folder on the HD is much safer than playing from removable media IMO since if you plug a memory stick into other computers you're much more likely to pick up a virus and bring it home.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:48 am »

I run dwarf fortress off my phone while its connected to the pc by USB cable. You're more likely to get a virus from browsing than from downloading. Technically they're the same thing.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:18:33 am »

yep, df must have 'edit' access to df folder in order to save worlds and games. It won't work otherwise.
CD is not a random access memory unit and df cannot be played from it.

If your dad feels too bad about viruses, you can check all the df dlls and executables on online file checker (it is free on kaspersky website for example). Also you can try running virtual machine on your computer and play df from there. It will protect you from almost everything.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:54:53 am »

CDs will not work since CDs are read only so it won't store your save files. You can use a stick but I think you should tell your father about viruses instead.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:05:38 am »

It's important to know that you don't play any game "from the CD", ever. All you do with the CD is install what's on it on your computer, and many (read: most) programs require you to have the CD in your computer before they will run as a form of rudimentary copy-protection (so you can't just install their program and then give the CD to a friend while still using it, for example)
I can see it now.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:34:38 am »

Eh, you can run games from a CD.  I remember way back there was some games like that, with no install.  But like people have said, you can't save back to a CD.

I know how it goes with computer illiterate fathers.  My father wouldn't let me ever make or use a boot disk, because one time he reformatted his hard drive accidentally with one.

You can transfer DF with any medium, stick, cd, whatever.  You'll just need to copy it onto that computer's hard drive.  You might be able to play it right from the USB stick if you use that though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:34:07 pm »

You might be able to play it right from the USB stick if you use that though.
As was pointed out earlier the problem with running DF on a USB drive is that it takes ages to load and save worlds, as well as slowing down the overall gameplay (since DF is constantly writing and reading from it's main folder).

I'm going to agree with the others in this thread that the best bet is to show your dad that it is safe. I mean DF only touches things within it's own folder and doesn't do anything else. You literally are more likely to pick up viruses by browsing the internet then you are playing DF. (Just make sure to not download DFHack, as some of the methods that it uses are similar enough to those used by some viruses that it can register as a "false positive", and from the sounds of it your dad might freak out about that).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:43 pm »

And on the subject of viruses, then can and will run off a CD and/or usb stick anyway...  It's not like you have to give them permission to infect your computer by running a "virus install" program or something...

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:03:08 pm »

Step 1: Get a blank CD
Step 2: Download Dwarf Fortress into some obscure, hard-to-find folder somewhere deep in your directory
Step 3: Get a permanent marker
Step 4: Write "Dwarf Fortress" on the CD
Step 5: Make sure that this CD is in your CD-ROM Drive while you play Dwarf Fortress normally.
Step 6: Happy dads
I can see it now.

Pages: [1] 2