Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: PokeMMO (Pokemon gotta catchem all!)  (Read 6475 times)

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PokeMMO (Pokemon gotta catchem all!)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 03:19:35 pm »

I'm KenpoAj on there, though I don't play very often. I have like 8 chansies if anyone wants one!
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 03:34:48 pm »

...Okay, this is kind of odd. They require... the use of a ROM to play? Really? What? Is it emulating or just extracting data or what?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »

It like FOnline 2238 http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/ Just less angry people that want to kill you
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:16 pm »

...Okay, this is kind of odd. They require... the use of a ROM to play? Really? What? Is it emulating or just extracting data or what?

The rom loads graphics I believe. If you have different roms your pokemon can follow you around, and you can see others' pokemon.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 03:40:45 pm »

The rom loads graphics I believe. If you have different roms your pokemon can follow you around, and you can see others' pokemon.

Ah. That's still odd and totally unnecessary, but I can see the benefits.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 03:43:17 pm »

That way the can just say it a Mod and not a new game.

Ok, I declare we make this happen at... How is everyone's Saturday? At around 3PM GMT?
So 7 am PST I hope I'm up
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:48:54 pm by Alkhemia »

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:55 am »

So it's about 3PM now. I'll get a steamnouncement going...
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 11:43:40 am »

They provide no instructions on how to acquire a ROM legally, e.g. getting one from a cartridge somehow, which would probably still be a violation of copyright law since you are not using it only as a backup, and I am unsure about whether it's covered by license agreements or what the DMCA would have to say about it. It is also far easier to acquire a ROM through INTERNET PIRACY than through getting a copy of it from a cartridge using a device of some kind, and seems to be difficult to even find any information about how to get one from a cartridge.

By not explaining how to legally acquire a ROM, and why it would be legal, leaving it up to the user to find the easiest method of acquiring the ROMs, which is INTERNET PIRACY, they seem to be encouraging INTERNET PIRACY. (Additionally, anyone searching on the legality of it will likely see posts or sites stating that it is legal to download ROMs for games that they own, which is not a truthful statement either.)

The PokeMMO website states: "Locate a compatible ROM (That you have the legal right to use)"

In the USA, you never have the legal right to back up a cartridge, apparently (see Atari, Inc. v. JS&A Group, Inc). Other countries may still have that right.

Nintendo believes that you never have the legal right to use ROM images: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms
There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:02:14 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 11:53:47 am »

The DFC Playthrough-The Story So Far

Our adventure starts with four young heroes; DFCExKirby, Baneclaw, Wymar (All three in black hats) and Myroc, who despite having ridiculously long hair and a dress, insists he's a dude. Anyway, the team first got their shit at Pallet Town, then ran an errand for Prof. Oak. We then made it to Veridian, where we grinded in a small patch of grass for a Caterpie, which Baneclaw got everything but. We then ran through the forest, with my internet dying frequently. We then made it to the newly dubbed healy thingy and entered the gym to face Brock. Now, because I chose the super effective Squirtle as my starter, I got through Brock easily... but everyone else struggled for a while. Wit their first badge in place, what will the heroes come across next?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 12:15:14 pm »

I was going to make a dude, but then I realize that being a woman gets you an awesome hat.

I value my hat more than I value my gender.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 12:16:53 pm »

I was going to make a girl, but then I decided  that confusing people as to my gender would be more fun than having a snazzy hat.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:58 pm »

Korbac up in da hows, hit me up brah.

Also I'll trade my starter for a decent poke. I.e Poliwhirl, Sandshrew etc.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:39 pm »

New I forgot something damn Thor.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 01:15:43 pm »

Mankey and Spearow caught - goodbye Bulbasaur, let's see how a game without the starter works out. :)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 05:40:39 pm »

I'm rather enjoying this
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3