Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Egalitarianism thread  (Read 10634 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Egalitarianism thread
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 11:51:15 pm »

Here's a little something.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 04:29:24 pm »

Here's a little something.

And this is all because of the deep-seated part of human nature that makes us have an intense desire to label and categorize every single thing. If we label boys as boys and girls as girls of course there are going to be these sorts of problems. People should just be called people and in the process should be treated equally regardless of their circumstances. People should treat people how they want to be treated.

I don't know about you but when I have kids I'm going to refer to them via age-appropriate gender-neutral labels - if I remember to do that at least. I'll still probably give them the names I plan on giving them though but it's kind of a given even for me that you don't name your daughter Roy, Cliff or Eliwood and you don't name your son Anne, Karen or Jewel. There really aren't any good gender neutral names outside of Don/Dawn, Chris and Pat - and pop culture ruined that last one.

Of course what should matter more than the label someone is given is the label that you give yourself. If my son wants to be called a daughter or my daughter wants to be called a son I will respect that. I probably will even go along with it. But I wouldn't want someone calling my daughter a girl and treating her as such just because she is female. She would be a person just like everyone else and she should be treated with dignity and respect - something that all people should be treated with.

But as I said, it is in human nature to label, name, and categorize. In order for us to truly stop discrimination we must transcend this nature of ours as record keepers and simply not label, name or categorize. Then again even so much as giving someone a name when they are born is considered labeling and thus it could in a very extreme sense be considered discrimination. It would be saying that a baby looks more like a Jacob than a Caleb, or a Stephanie than a Jennifer.

Each name does have a specific meaning and qualities attributed to that name do shape who or what we are as a person. But that's a difficult kind of subject even for me so I probably should not get into it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2012, 04:58:07 pm »

There really aren't any good gender neutral names outside of Don/Dawn, Chris and Pat - and pop culture ruined that last one.

Ryan, Jessie/Jesse, Casey, Riley, Jamie, Taylor, Logan, Charlie (Charles/Charlotte)

Also less common names like Kinsey and Keegan are really often gender neutral. And uncommon names are way cooler.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2012, 05:01:52 pm »

There really aren't any good gender neutral names outside of Don/Dawn, Chris and Pat - and pop culture ruined that last one.

Ryan, Jessie/Jesse, Casey, Riley, Jamie, Taylor, Logan, Charlie (Charles/Charlotte)

Also less common names like Kinsey and Keegan are really often gender neutral. And uncommon names are way cooler.
Sam, Dylan, Bobby/Bobbie. There are alot of options.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2012, 05:20:37 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:20 am »

Sam, Dylan, Bobby/Bobbie. There are alot of options.
I'm sick and I'm having difficulty sleeping because of that and some roommate issues. I think I can be excused for not knowing this. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in about two months.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 10:58:37 am »

It's okay, dude. I meant it more informatively than anything.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2012, 12:47:57 pm »

I still think dei needs an e-hug. Always getting jumpy when people talk to him, treating a joke as if the guy is totally evil and needs to be reported and... saged, whatever that is.

* Descan holds out e-arms.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »

*Helgoland opens e-arms*

(and regular ones too, just about to do that. Just hug back when you get this :D )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 01:44:22 pm »

I still think dei needs an e-hug. Always getting jumpy when people talk to him, treating a joke as if the guy is totally evil and needs to be reported and... saged, whatever that is.
Saging is the act of posting without bumping a thread, thereby contributing to its destruction. A moot point considering bay12 does not accommodate this function, nor does it cap threads by post.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »

Why does this egalitarianism thread focus only on feminism?

Just what is wrong with L. van B.?

I'll just say this about egalitarianism. Freedom of choice obviously means being able to not choose something. I would certainly choose to live in America of the 1600s - early 1900s much more than this progressive world now. Where once you could probably share your pain of a discomforting peasant life with the close-knit ties of your family and community and religion, people now are far more paranoid and alone than they are actually, truly realizing(making use) of their own "progression."

I realize many people here may actually not live in America. Shame on you then for not visiting.

I would agree with Machiavelli from his books. For a man such as I, I would find much more security, and thus general well-being, living under a ruler who is indeed worthy of ruling me(me, I, the things that produced me, family, community, friends, enemies). Julius Cesar was and forever will be remembered as a great man and a great ruler.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:33:39 pm by Alpha Dwarf »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2012, 02:39:49 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:20:01 pm by Ogdibus »

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2012, 02:50:59 pm »

I'm probably doomed to obscurity too. Don't worry about it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2012, 02:51:27 pm »

Alpha Dwarf, a lot more of that is due to industrialism and the growth of cities than feminism and other social movements.

I can't recall the appropriate sociological terms, but little villages and things resulted in a few deep, personal relationships while big cities result in a ton of acquaintances and more distant relationships. The former kind are more fulfilling and relieve stress while the latter kind make people suspicious and distrusting of each other and cause stress.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »

Are not we now inventing all sorts of "social" movements to try to make up for that? Come on! People's Liberation Front of...!

It would have been illegal for my family to exist during that time.  My parents would have been much more likely to disown me.  I probably would have been murdered by a mob before the age of twenty.

Not trying to push you to reveal anything too personal, but wouldn't you be living in a more culturally secure environment among people who directly relate to you?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:05:08 pm by Alpha Dwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8