Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Egalitarianism thread  (Read 10630 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Egalitarianism thread
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2012, 03:50:33 pm »

Are not we now inventing all sorts of "social" movements to try to make up for that? Come on! People's Liberation Front of...!

Judea. It sucks. Better is the Judean's People's Front!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:43 pm »

Are not we now inventing all sorts of "social" movements to try to make up for that? Come on! People's Liberation Front of...!

Judea. It sucks. Better is the Judean's People's Front!
No, we're the Judean People's Liberation Front. The Judean's People's Front is sitting over there.

Why does this egalitarianism thread focus only on feminism?

Just what is wrong with L. van B.?

I'll just say this about egalitarianism. Freedom of choice obviously means being able to not choose something. I would certainly choose to live in America of the 1600s - early 1900s much more than this progressive world now. Where once you could probably share your pain of a discomforting peasant life with the close-knit ties of your family and community and religion, people now are far more paranoid and alone than they are actually, truly realizing(making use) of their own "progression."

I realize many people here may actually not live in America. Shame on you then for not visiting.

I would agree with Machiavelli from his books. For a man such as I, I would find much more security, and thus general well-being, living under a ruler who is indeed worthy of ruling me(me, I, the things that produced me, family, community, friends, enemies). Julius Cesar was and forever will be remembered as a great man and a great ruler.

It would have been illegal for my family to exist during that time.  My parents would have been much more likely to disown me.  I probably would have been murdered by a mob before the age of twenty.
And I would have died of appendicitis at six, and later on been useless as a peasant because I'm pretty weak, and - if I'd been lucky - ended up (though even that would have been a great step forward) as a priest in some village. Screw Golden Ages, I'd rather live today. Good thing I do!

And L. van B. is fine, but L. von B. was wrong.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2012, 04:42:54 pm »

It would have been illegal for my family to exist during that time.  My parents would have been much more likely to disown me.  I probably would have been murdered by a mob before the age of twenty.
Not trying to push you to reveal anything too personal, but wouldn't you be living in a more culturally secure environment among people who directly relate to you?
Nooooope. Conform to the system or die. Literally. 0 relation. If I had the choice to live in any age but now - I'd choose to live in the world of tomorrow.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:56 pm »

300 years ago: "She's got red hair! She's a witch!"

200 years ago: "He's black! Obviously he must work without receiving compensation, i.e. become our slave!"

100 years ago: "They're jews! Of course they can't join our club!"

I'll be skipping the 70 year mark, but you can guess how it continues. And today:

"They're of the same sex and in a sexual relationship! Of course they shouldn't be able to adopt!"

"She's a woman! Of course she shouldn't drive a car and go into public only in a veil!" (Saudi-Arabia)

"She's a girl! Of course she should stay uneducated and then be married off at age 10!" (Talibani Afghanistan, could be wrong about the age of marriage)

Today is better than yesterday.
And tomorrow will be better than today if I can help it!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:15 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:20:23 pm by Ogdibus »

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2012, 05:43:15 pm »

It's okay, dude. I meant it more informatively than anything.
I didn't realize that so I apologize.

I still think dei needs an e-hug. Always getting jumpy when people talk to him, treating a joke as if the guy is totally evil and needs to be reported and... saged, whatever that is.

* Descan holds out e-arms.
I'm used to posting on anonymous imageboards like 4chan. To sage (SAH-GEH) is essentially to not bump a thread due to either a lack of a valid contribution (polite sage), out of sheer and utter disgust (the kind of sage I mean by "saged, hidden, filtered, reported, called the cops") or to simply troll someone (along the lines of "sage goes in all fields"). It is the complete opposite of age (AH-GEH), which lets you bump a post. However seeing as any reply to a thread on an imageboard automatically bumps that thread age for the most part is only used to show that you really like what someone posted. It is a redundant feature that goes back to 2channel and 2chan, the Japanese predecessors to the Western imageboards.

Usually if I post "saged, hidden, filtered, reported, called the cops" I am either saying it because I really didn't like what someone had said or because I am making a joke of some kind. Usually though I only post it when I'm incredibly irritable and sleep-deprived so usually it's because I really didn't like what someone had said.

Again, I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in two months, and that is mostly attributed to situations with both my roommates and my overall biorhythms being out of whack due to one of my neighbors who was around my age dying a couple months ago and that fucked me up psychologically. Any time I'm around death I experience this kind of psychological trauma for at least three to six months due to my own phobias related to death and dying.

What's more is that I have been dealing with some sexual harassment from one of my male roommates which brought me back to some pretty bad times in my childhood related to the abuse I went through. Even with intervention from both my landlady and my other roommates that support me that fucking twit will not stop with the harassment. Luckily I might be able to move by next month or the month after if my Section 8 comes through, but until then it's something I'm going to have to deal with.

Either way I apologize if I seem jumpy or whatever it is that I am coming off as. I'm dealing with some shit right now that has been kind of difficult for me to deal with. I hope you understand.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2012, 05:49:04 pm »

I never understood this, at all. I mean what the hell. It's HAIR color. Not even left-handedness. Which considering population percentages was far more ostracized

This opinion could just be my fondness for redheads in general, and Females in particular though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2012, 06:03:29 pm »

I never understood this, at all. I mean what the hell. It's HAIR color. Not even left-handedness. Which considering population percentages was far more ostracized

This opinion could just be my fondness for redheads in general, and Females in particular though.
Because Judas was ginger and so all gingers are witches.
Trufax.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2012, 07:54:45 pm »

And I would have died of appendicitis at six, and later on been useless as a peasant because I'm pretty weak, and - if I'd been lucky - ended up (though even that would have been a great step forward) as a priest in some village. Screw Golden Ages, I'd rather live today. Good thing I do!

Dear,

You live in an age where you must compete among millions to succeed when our progress causes millions of families to disintegrate in pain and loneliness.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:02:26 pm by Alpha Dwarf »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 07:55:28 pm »

Dear,

You love in an age where you must compete among millions to succeed when our progress causes millions of families to disintegrate in pain and loneliness.
*Sigh*

My rage is beyond comprehension.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2012, 07:59:10 pm »

Beyond? ...Oh indeed. I'll fix that.

Dear,

You love in an age where you must compete among millions to succeed when our progress causes millions of families to disintegrate in pain and loneliness.
*Sigh*

Fix'dddddd
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:02:41 pm by Alpha Dwarf »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:28 pm »

Dear,

*Sigh*

Loud Whispers cancels rage:

Possibilities beyond count, waiting to unfold.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »

Dear,

Uh...

You realize that pretty much by definition society is inherently competitive and results in misfortune for those unable to properly cope with it, right? From the very beginning of civilization we have been abusing and even destroying people through it and because of it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »

Seriously, not stamping the previous feminism discusiion, which likely it seems that way. Honest typo.

Dear,

Uh...

You realize that pretty much by definition society is inherently competitive and results in misfortune for those unable to properly cope with it, right? From the very beginning of civilization we have been abusing and even destroying people through it and because of it.

Let us make things better?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:06 pm »

I think I was unclear. My rage at alpha is beyond all measure. Mostly because I ranted at him last night and he appears to not have read it.

Simply put, you and the people aroudn you are some of the luckiest ones in history. As LW said, the only luckier ones will be the future.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8