Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Thoughts on everyday "luxury" goods, and thier waste of resources.  (Read 7908 times)

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on everyday "luxury" goods, and thier waste of resources.
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2012, 01:07:08 am »

Riddle me this. When Steve Jobs created the Iphone, who lost? Whose life was made worse because of it?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:07 am »

Riddle me this. When Steve Jobs created the Iphone, who lost? Whose life was made worse because of it?
Little asian Boys and girls. people to poor to afford iphones who were then ostracized for it.

I think I may have managed to balme rich people for my social akwardness. Excellent.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:12 am »

Ignoring the rest of the discussion (we've had it before, ahaha. Bucket was there, too.), you, uh. Really want a sundry list of things Apple has shat upon? Maybe the number of lives that have been lost because people were fiddling with one instead of driving? There's probably a good list of lives that have been made worse by the iPhone.

... you can find a better example to try to make your point with, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 01:21:46 am »

... you can find a better example to try to make your point with, probably.
Not really, most inventions have been used negatively by someone or in some context. Hell, obscure market reforms in the stock market allow some guy to screw over some other guy. Every company that does well can fuck over investors who bet against it.

Life isn't exactly zero-sum, but damn does it sure seem like it some times.

I think what the point of this argument is is that there is onlya a certain amount of happiness you can gain from your various things. Now, as you increase your stuff, your rate of increase goes down exponentially, till eventually you have virtually everything and the numbers are meaningless. Now, on the other hand, if that person where to give some fo their resources, lets call it happynite, to a poor person, the comparitive increase in the poor persons happynite to the decrease in the rich mans happynite is clearly indicative of the benefits of not over-indulging.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 04:52:56 am »

Leaving this right here: http://www.raikoth.net/deadchild.html

I think alot of people would stop spending money on expensive rings and solid gold toilets if their price was listed as "A dead toddler and their puppy too." instead of 10000$

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 04:57:28 am »

This absolute waste of resources is inexcusable.

Exactly which resources are being wasted?

In the United States in 2007 luxury goods accounted for a $157 billion industry.

the top fifth with household income more than doubling (up 111%) for the top 1%

Make up your mind please. Is your complaint that people are using up limited resources such that they are not available for others, or is your complaint that some people have more stuff?

selfishly wasting resources

You keep saying this.

What resources are being "wasted?"

List specific commodities, please.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23:27 pm »

Maybe the number of lives that have been lost because people were fiddling with one instead of driving?
I hope you were sarcastic. If not, you cant blame the tool, blame the user. If someone kills someone with a knife, is it fault of the knife? I dont think so. If someone plants a bomb, and bomb explodes and kills people, is it fault of the bomb? I dont think so. If you fiddle with iPhone when driving its completely your fault that you crash into that tree over there and kill yourself.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2012, 06:30:24 pm »

It doesn't matter who's "fault" it is. We should minimize deaths regardless of whether we end up punishing people who may not be morally responsible.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »

Really, imo the problems aren't the "who" or the "what", but the "how"s. As in, how things are produced and how they are used.

The first part is obvious. Child labour, slavery and suboptimal working conditions for production workers are objectively bad. Those kinds of products, regardless of their status as luxury, are always bad.
The second part is, well, when stuff gets used in a wasteful manner. Make tons of food and then dump half of it because nobody could eat that much? You should feel terrible for it. You can usually guesstimate how much food is going to be needed and reduce the amount accordingly. Or keep the leftovers and warm them up the next day.
Or people who buy jewelry and then only wear them only once a decade or something (looking at you, mom).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]