Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does materialistic pantheism imply a god?  (Read 3709 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does materialistic pantheism imply a god?
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:39 am »

Does materialistic pantheism imply a god?
Myself and Greg (Ehndras) have been discussing philosophy for a while now, I figured it'd be worth chucking some of that dialogue here for people to give their thoughts on. The ideas start off simple and quickly grow more complex, for that reason what you're reading has been edited pretty heavily but only for the purpose of understandability. Our conclusion is that the beginning of our multiverse, God and self-awareness are all functionally the same.

Spoiler: Dialogue (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:46:35 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does materialistic pantheism imply a god?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:08 am »

One year later

Spoiler: Dialogue (click to show/hide)

So: any ideas? Criticisms? General feedback? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:39:26 am by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:37:39 am »

In before TL;DR

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:40:52 am »

In before TL;DR

I thought this was bay12, not 4chan  :P
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:42 am »

In after TL;DR

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:34 am »

I suppose it does, whether its a defined presence or just the ultimate collection of the laws of the universe.  You could study it at you local library.
In before TL;DR

what does this mean?  tl;dr?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:49 am »

Took laxatives; diarrhea rainbow?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:16:34 am »

Ohh, well yea, I skimmed the text for key words.  Your personal conversation got in the way of the philosophy  (but I'm still the most appropriate answer thus far :P )
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:40 am »

I read through the whole thing and...

sounds like standard philosophical wankery to me.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »

TL;DR

I'll say it again. Anything that ends with "-ism" and is a set of beliefs and values could be considered a religion. However, not every religion has a higher power or some kind of deity. Take Buddhism, Atheism, Feminism, Liberalism, Conservatism, Racism, Environmentalism and sometimes Solipsism for example. They're all sets of beliefs and values but they don't have deities of some kind.

What's to say that this thing I have never heard of called "materialistic pantheism" however doesn't have a deity of some kind? Maybe if someone could put a damn synopsis instead of posting two huge walls of texts we could get to the bottom of this and reach some kind of conclusion.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 01:52:16 pm »

TL;DR

I'll say it again. Anything that ends with "-ism" and is a set of beliefs and values could be considered a religion.

So Islam is not a religion?
;D

(If it's not obvious, i'm just kidding. Not trying to insult anybody, nor trying to make a suggestion that Islam is 'inferior'.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:21 pm »

TL;DR

I'll say it again. Anything that ends with "-ism" and is a set of beliefs and values could be considered a religion.

So Islam is not a religion?
;D

(If it's not obvious, i'm just kidding. Not trying to insult anybody, nor trying to make a suggestion that Islam is 'inferior'.)
Well, I didn't say that every set of beliefs and values ended with an -ism. I just said that anything with an -ism is a set of beliefs and values. Honestly I find parts of Islam to be fascinating so I would like to study more about it myself just to further get a grasp of religion as a whole.

All I've got so far is that the prophet Muhammed was saved by a spider and that you're not even allowed to touch anything made from a pig if you are Muslim. That second one is something a United States general based in the Phillipines back around World War II used to his advantage to stop Muslim extremists from attacking anyone for several decades.

I forget his name but if he's the guy I'm thinking of they might have named a kind of donut after him. I'm probably wrong about that bit and thus should stop talking and get something to eat.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:44 pm »

anything with an -ism is a set of beliefs and values.

Embolism.  Volcanism.  Alcoholism.  Chromaticism.  Criticism.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:36:50 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:41:07 pm »

Maybe if someone could put a damn synopsis instead of posting two huge walls of texts we could get to the bottom of this and reach some kind of conclusion.

The text contained a synopsis of itself:

Sleep? Nope... up all night, nauseous and cold. At least I'm having a lovely conversation with Ashton about the mechanics of macro-cosmic physics, the pattern through which alternate universes form in a fractal multiverse, the concept that all matter and energy is aware at the level where it can describe itself and thus create a physical manifestation of itself. The notion that this awareness is present within any given entity whether that be a rock or an atom, comparable to snippets of data which mean something by themselves yet still blend to create a more complete entity.

Funnily enough this all coincides with my pantheistic beliefs, though no new ideas arose from the initial conversation it quickly spurred debate on the implication those concepts had on divinity or god: dubbed "Origin" for the sake of neutrality, we eventually decided that within an infinitely massive fractal pattern encompassing each possible reality Origin exists: though due to the nature of infinity it's meaning becomes lost. Then is it feasible for the physical world, as created by Origin, or God, to be capable of free will and vice versa? Or is all just a computational matrix relying on self-propagating stimuli?

The twist is the concept of Origin becomes meaningless as does the difference between Awareness and Origin because what we understand as God is the self-aware aspect of the universe which creates a physical manifestation of itself. Origin is a shape, an equation or a point cloud that describes itself, and through describing itself it leads to the recreation of itself in the same manner as a fractal pattern or an infinite loop.

This process of recreation has no foreseeable beginning or end, like an equation has a value of negative infinity and one of positive infinity, thus Origin whilst it exists is also pointless. It is impossible to fall below negative infinity or above positive infinity, thus a full cycle is never complete. You can never reach Origin because it's removed by an infinite amount of iterations, where each iteration is a generation of new universes, neither can the last generation be reached. Whilst the end and the beginning are identical one never becomes the other which is where the idea of a loop falls apart.

At its heart, our perception of the realities progression is akin to the Russian doll effect in which there is always a smaller doll hidden within, yet also a larger doll encompassing. That implies we are looking in on a single abstract point of reference within infinity, a point of origin that is meaningless in reference to its entirety.

Nobody except Cerpa has given a response to the content.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:43:21 pm by ashton1993 »
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »

Also, for the record, Ashton edited a lot of this and his vocabulary is a bit weird compared to mine, so even I'm confused at some points.

Here's my original summary followed by random commentary from the discussion, which I wrote at like 4 in the morning after dancing for hours, so forgive me if it sounds like a load of confusing shyte.

Sleep? Nope... Up all night nauseous and cold. F*ck. At least I'm having a lovely conversation with Ashton Ward about the the mechanics of macro-cosmic Physics, the pattern behind alternate universes within a fractal multiverse, the concept that all matter and energy is self-aware in the sense of the calculations necessary to create a physical manifestation of self within our reality are present w
ithin a given entity whether it be a boulder or a single electron (as with bits of digital data which are individual yet make up a greater whole as the inherent code interacts within a particular design pattern, thus creating the software necessary to initiate a physical simulation which we can then perceive), which coincides with my Pantheistic beliefs, which then spurned an entirely new but nonetheless related debate on what the physical or physically-simulated nature of reality implies regarding the aspect of divinity (God(s)) or initial impulse, dubbed "Origin" for the sake of neutrality, on which we eventually agreed that within an infinite pattern of realities there IS an Origin but that said origin would have been lost within infinity due to the very nature of reality. Which then brought up the question of whether it is feasible for there to be a physical manifestation of Origin, or God, and whether than physical manifestation is conscious - thereby capable of free will - or just another computational matrix relying on external stimuli or preexisting formulae that dictate its behavior, though within the scope of an infinite reality loop the concept of Origin becomes meaningless and the line between conscious and self-aware divinity/Origin insignificant because God is the awareness of the universe and leads to the physical manisfestation of it, which is a shape, an equation or a point cloud that describes itself, and through describing itself it leads to the re-creation of itself, which results in a fractal pattern ("Infinite Loop") because the process of re-creation has no end in either direction, like an eqaution there is a negative infinity and a positive infinity so the origin is pointless within the concept of Time but it does exist. It is impossible to drop past negative infinity and find yourself at positive infinity, thus the loop is never complete. So, you'll never be able to find the origin because it's an infinite amount of cycles away in the same sense you'll never find the end, because at no point does the end become the beginning, which is where the idea of a loop falls apart. At its heart, our perception of the progression of reality is akin to the Russian doll effect in which there is always a smaller doll hidden within, yet a larger doll perceived on the opposite end, implying that we are looking in on a single abstract point of reference within an infinity, a point of origin that is meaningless in reference to its entirety.

And THIS is why Scifi nerds shouldn't have caffeine and start discussions about cosmological constants and the breaking down of the laws of physics after midnight.

Ah. To think it all started a year ago with the definition of Pantheism. "The physical multiverse is a non-existing manifestation of cause and effect in which each and every combination of particles has its own state of consciousness and thought - essentially the scientific approach to Pantheism, which is pretty much the belief that the universe itself and all which comprises it is divine and has a certain permeating quality to it."

And then you and your damn overly-mathematical observations about how Human behaviour is simple, merely a neural net in which electrical impulses enter through sensory perception and feedback upon themselves in patterns to create outputs which lead to muscles which in turn react by contracting - for instance, mere cause and effect. The mystery of it all is how we become aware of this physical occurrence and at what level.

And then that long-ass discussion in which I kept trying to get you to stop trying to quantify human emotion on a mere physical level, then the thing about the perception of Human morality from various frames of reference, in which you somehow tricked me into spending an hour explaining my philosophy and spiritual beliefs.

Damn you, why did you have to actually SAVE the entire conversation? :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: [1] 2