Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia 22 - Game over!  (Read 54977 times)

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 22 - [SIGN-UPS] 9/16
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »

That would be excellent, but I think I'll wait until the game is closer to starting to see what the replacement queue looks like before I officially request one. 
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 04:30:05 pm »

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »

I'm definitely not missIng this.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »

I'm definitely not missIng this.

Greetings!

Since this is your first Paranormal, I strongly recommend reading through some previous Paranormal games to get a feeling for how this game works. It's got a few quirks that really set it apart from a normal game of Mafia. Flavor, for example, is very important, and being able to interpret the flavor clues that I give will help you a lot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 22 - [SIGN-UPS] 10/16
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 03:06:59 pm »

The first mafia game I read here was paranormal #15, and I followed along just fine. Org made a mess of the endgame in that one.

A question, though, has the Xenozoologist/Alien Scientist ever won in any of the games? If so, could you point me to them? I think those would be interesting reads.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 03:12:00 pm »

I don't think so.

So far there hasn't been an exty win either.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 03:14:25 pm »

Pretty sure the Xenozoologist has won at least once, since their win doesn't impact any other win- the town has used them before to help win.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 03:24:54 pm »

I'm almost positive that they have. Although it's a challenging role, it's not as difficult as the Exty.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »

It must have happened. Why else would the requirements have changed from three abductions to four?

It does seem difficult for the abductor to win, especially with four required abductions. The Stun Bomb would be enormously helpful to an abductor to effectively add another day to the game for them to find their targets. The scanner seems like it would be useful, but it requires a night action to use, and wastes the chance for an abduction that night. A personal shield would probably be a better choice, to protect against war vets.

Speaking of which, can a guardian/bodyguard protect against war vets? i.e. Guardian protects a Detective, and that Detective goes to visit a War Vet. Does the Detective die?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »

Scanner (and the Stun Bomb) doesn't use your action.

The War Vet response counts as a kill, so the guard does protect.  Usually if the dopp team has a guard, they protect whoever is doing the kill for that reason.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

Why else would the requirements have changed from three abductions to four?

To make them more neutral. Before, the xeno was a pretty useful pro-town third party, and when they won, they'd take one town in exchange for two non-town, one of which was explicitly anti-town. Three non-town for one was just too good a deal, so it was changed to 3-2.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 04:08:40 pm »

Scanner (and the Stun Bomb) doesn't use your action.

Really? If that's true, it isn't spelled out very well.

The Stun Bomb specifically spells out that it doesn't use your night action, but the scanner doesn't say anything of the sort.

I guess it makes sense, though. It wouldn't be of much use to third parties if it costed them their night kill or abduct.

The War Vet response counts as a kill, so the guard does protect.  Usually if the dopp team has a guard, they protect whoever is doing the kill for that reason.

Good to know.

I did find a game where the abductor won: Paranormal #10

I haven't looked back further than that, but it might be the only time. I also haven't looked at the bastard paranormals at all.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »

Why else would the requirements have changed from three abductions to four?

To make them more neutral. Before, the xeno was a pretty useful pro-town third party, and when they won, they'd take one town in exchange for two non-town, one of which was explicitly anti-town. Three non-town for one was just too good a deal, so it was changed to 3-2.
I see, that makes sense. It's rather counter-intuitive to consider it a pro-town role, but it would have that effect. Depending on the intentions of the other aliens in the game, of course.

Interestingly, the presence of a xenozoologist pretty much guarantees the presence of at least one other alien in the game. I wonder if there's ever been a game where the exterminator was abducted...

PPE: And, taking a look at Paranormal #10, I just noticed that four players are listed as abducted, but at the time, only three were required to win. A glance at the rules shows that the alien scientist still has the line that says that extra abductees are released, leading me to wonder how exactly that happened.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »

Since it's an Alien, Human, Cultist, and Psychic who have been abducted I'm going to guess we changed the rule but I forgot to update the Rules thread.
Come play Mafia with us!

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 04:59:11 pm »

In, or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23