Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Movie  (Read 6843 times)

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Movie
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 04:06:43 am »

It has been done!. IRON BAR FTW!!!
//it is .ru df forum, you may have trouble reading text.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:09:15 am by goblolo »
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 06:24:42 am »

You know what? I wondered about plot of a cartoon TV series about dwarves, with good plot about many topics for older watchers (no kids). Who can make animations?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »

Eh. It would be better as a 2 hour long feature movie about explosions, cave ins and explosions happening whilst cave ins are falling on robot-demons from space who are secretly supermodels.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 05:18:57 pm »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »

Does this count?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kBedai-rk&feature=plcp
Only a little, and only because YouTube translate is less terrible then the transcript.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 10:23:20 pm »

So I just realized...

...I can follow little bits and pieces of that German video in the original, uh, Deutsch...

...we need a soundtrack; my proposal: Put Legend of Zelda, Inception, Firefly and Serenity (at least, these are the four I listen to when I am tired of hearing that guitar loop -- though it's a pretty durn good loop for what it is) in a blender and see what comes out, as the four of these should have about the right atmosphere for the various things that happen in DF, aside from the part where the cat steps on the pressure plate and accidentally dooms the fortress -- for that we'd just have to hire Danny Elfman to compose a mockery of the actual game's theme in Simpsons style big band. What?

...Dwarf Fortress should not be a movie. Dwarf Fortress should be an ongoing TV series with randomly/procedurally generated elements (I mean, it's DF, right?) and incorporation of reruns into the following seasons' plots via a mechanic called "reclaiming", which usually doesn't work quite as intended (even when it doesn't crash the whole episode). It's just more like the game, more dwarfy, more right!
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 02:36:28 am »

I suppose a TV series would allow for more detail and more plot arcs at once.... but where I see problems is, you can (relatively) easily film a 90 minute movie with an indie studio, put it on the interwebs, and boom. But a TV show... Wouldn't that require you to actually get picked up by a crew to broadcast it?

Also. You mean Serenity the heavy metal band, right? Cause if so, fuck yeah. :D
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 04:51:26 am »

DF TV Show.

Boot up dwarf fortress while humming a suitable intro theme song.
Load world.
Narrate/Voice a fictional storyline involving changing your voice and pretending to be dwarves
Bonus points: Take drugs or alcohol beforehand.

Closest this will ever come to happening ^

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 08:48:33 pm »

I was thinking Serenity as in Firefly and Serenity. It has that dark, atmospheric, tense tone perfect for a doomed last stand against the forces of the underworld in a fortress in the Third Cavern that was sealed in with a combination of obsidian cast in the magma sea itself and an emergency lever-triggered cavein chain to keep the forces that have invaded it from escaping into the sunlit lands...

I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

...we need a soundtrack; my proposal: Put Legend of Zelda, Inception, Firefly and Serenity (at least, these are the four I listen to when I am tired of hearing that guitar loop -- though it's a pretty durn good loop for what it is) in a blender and see what comes out, as the four of these should have about the right atmosphere for the various things that happen in DF, aside from the part where the cat steps on the pressure plate and accidentally dooms the fortress -- for that we'd just have to hire Danny Elfman to compose a mockery of the actual game's theme in Simpsons style big band. What?
I was thinking of making a DF claymation for school whenever the project comes along (I know it will), and the song I always imagined would suite it is this one; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3wzxHeMSF8
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 01:54:47 pm »

Opening scene:
Narrator "Before the time of mortals began, the Great One banished the demon horde into Hell, and to secure their imprisonment, he sealed them away with Adamantine..." [the video shows a demonic horde surrounded by magma and then the camera flies upwards through the beautiful adamantine, which sparkles in the light of the magma]
[at the top of the spire, the camera stops and the noise of metal hitting rock is heard... a crack appears with a dwarf's who looks through]
Narrator "But now... they are free."
[at first the dwarf smiles, then suddenly a demon [enter general description here] appears and kills him]
[camera follows a demon at blinding speed, the camera goes into bird's eye view and shows a fortress being torn apart]
Narrator "And only a group of the greatest heroes of the three races can stop them."
--------------
Scene 2, a Tavern
Dwarf "Whaddaya mean there's no more Dwarven Ale?!"

You get the picture. The Dwarf would be a general berserker, the elf would be Cacame or a descendant of his and the human would be a priest or something who saw through the disguise of a demon pretending to be his/her deity.
Episode 1: Getting to the mountainhomes, while being chased by the demonic horde and blocked by a goblin fortress.
Episode 2: They all die. Horribly. We see a new dwarven kingdom arise, from a single fort. They sieze control of the elven and human civs and prepare an attack. The king and the other 6 dwarves are survivors of the battle in Ep1, alive because of "the heroes"
Episode 3: 3 races together charge the demons. In the end there's a ritual to summon Armok on the dwarven side, and since he hates the demons who don't worship him, he comes and massacres them.

Hmm... I might write a book on this actually. Maybe I'll even get to chapter 3, that would be a new record on my side.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 10:27:55 pm »

I thought the greatest three races were dwarf, goblin and kobold??

Though I guess Cacame could fight alongside a knurd dwarf hero, and a human actually, you know, not being fooled by the demon-gods would be cool.

But anyway... Dwarf Fortress: The Movie would really need to be about a fortress, wouldn't it?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 10:42:14 pm »

But anyway... Dwarf Fortress: The Movie would really need to be about a fortress, wouldn't it?

Of course.  The sequel (if there is one) would be Adventure mode.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 10:53:21 pm »

Does this count?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kBedai-rk&feature=plcp
I actually really like that.  It's a bit beyond my limited Deutsch, but it seems pretty nice.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 02:00:48 am »

And of course. someones needs to play the sadistic folks that we are.
Unf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3