Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What will terrestial combat look like?  (Read 5781 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: What will terrestial combat look like?
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 11:19:58 am »

If we see an all out war in the future, I would not be suprised to see massive biological and chemical weaponry use, as well as geoengineering to sabotage the enemy.

There was a plan to bomb german cities with Anthrax in WO II (And I don't really know why they didn't do it). The advantage of Anthrax was that it was very efficient (essentially turning the entire city in a wasteland for the next 30 years) and couldn't spread. (Spores are stuck in the ground). This makes it a very efficient weapon of mass destruction.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:24 am »

They didn't do that because Hitler had chemical and bacteriological weapon, too. But even Nazi weren't crazy enough to start a chemical Armageddon in their own country

In fact that shows, that full out conventional war between nuclear countries is quite possible, because in WW2 all parties had a lot of chemical weapons and not used it (almost)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 01:16:17 pm »

Funny thing, I thought about that just a few weeks ago: MAD still works in a war as long as all sides still have something to lose - territorial losses are usually an acceptable alternative to total obliteration.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2012, 03:44:16 pm »

Dropping asteroids is kind of a big deal.

Yet still probably easier than getting heaps of mass to orbit to drop back down again.
Magma is overrated.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2012, 03:46:46 pm »

If we see an all out war in the future, I would not be suprised to see massive biological and chemical weaponry use, as well as geoengineering to sabotage the enemy.
"Who needs the Geneva convention anyways..."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2012, 07:57:58 pm »

"Who needs the Geneva convention anyways..."
"Where there's no judge, there's no executioner."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2012, 08:03:04 pm »

"Where there's no axe, there's no wood."

That's where we were going with this, right?
Nothing important here, move along.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2012, 05:48:12 am »

"Where there's no trees, there's no forest."
The Bay12 postcard club

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2012, 06:10:31 am »

"Where there's no forest, there's no elves."

Profit!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42:36 pm »

US marines are more like the 0.08%

yea, so super-rich, not just rich.
LASER-VISION!

Still, robots are cheaper, and the rich wouldn't want to leave their fancy martian resorts and do manual labor, so no Space Marines. Sorry.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2012, 04:48:37 pm »

Funny thing, I thought about that just a few weeks ago: MAD still works in a war as long as all sides still have something to lose - territorial losses are usually an acceptable alternative to total obliteration.
This is why SDI is so dangerous. It changes total obliteration to possible obliteration, and someone might take it's worth the risk.

The communists had plan to nuke Europe around 1950,1962, and 1979 (as in, tactical manoevres required and such). I think they estimated 2 million death on their side from return strikes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]