Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What will terrestial combat look like?  (Read 5785 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
What will terrestial combat look like?
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »

We're all well aware of how warfare is changing, and considering the popularity of the space combat thread, we may as well throw in a little land, sea, drone, cyborg and Space Marine (empr. I fully expect, any demand, augmented 40k fans to say this, in crowds.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:55:55 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: What will terrestial combat look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »

I'd say look at air and sea combat and just apply it to everything else.  Push a button, a hundred miles away something blows up.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:04:57 pm »

It's probably going to look something like it already does, just with better weapons. Diplomacy and ROE are going to remain, which means we won't be leveling every town there might be an enemy presence in, which means foot-mobiles are still going to be clearing towns building by building, room by room.

You know, unless we all turn into space Nazis or something.

Even then, we'll at least want to try and keep /some/ of their infrastructure around so we can steal it, so there'll still be soldiers slogging around.
Nothing important here, move along.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:40:21 pm »

Robots.

More seriously, the level of connectedness that the internet and such allows now will mean a unparreled amount of control of the situation.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:21 pm »

Drones, drones, and more drones; and plenty of 'clean hands' on political and militaristic levels, meaning potentially many many innocent lives lost as a 'war against terror'.

Toss in weather manipulation (which can eventually lead to terraformation ideas forming, when space travel becomes more mainstream), and you can weaponize hurricane patterns, making deadly hurricanes a regular thing, making biological warfare using mosquitoes, roaches, and ticks, more common use in the aftershock of the hurricane strike; include damaging infrastructures of locations even less prepared for them, and manipulate cold fronts as well to maximize damage.

"Operation: Sandy (Beaches)" was a success after all (just look at the damage done there; and let's not forget the increase in bug populations and diseases after every other hurricane). With today's technology, all of this is possible presently, and will only become worse if we don't assess our political spectrums and powers, and make those who use these combat methods take responsibility for their actions. Regardless if international or domestic use. Not cool.

This is my assessment of how it would look, at least. And things can only go worse from there, with innocent civilian casualties reaching ever greater numbers. As my grandma once said, "As technology progresses, morals decline.". Boy, the relevance of that statement these days...

EDIT:
It was a hypothetical naming of Hurricane Sandy being used as a domestic test of weather manipulation, at weapons-grade levels, to control populations en masse (in this case, politically), and blame natural disaster (though it was weaponized), but not the politician or military official responsible for giving the OK for triggering it (they're not god... yet.). Domestic abuse via nature for political gain, what a device such a thing could be, huh? Wearing my tin foil hat on this one, hypothetically, the test, and political gain is plausible, and wise for gaining a second term; until such information is leaked to legitimize the paranoia into fact. Revelation of buying an election by attacking the northern part of the continent with a hurricane, and then playing the good guy after it hits (mind you, there could be evidence of an executive order to issue it; most likely via grapevine through chain of command to stealth-command; minimizing responsibility profile to just a name/association possibility, but no more than that (resulting in a lack of evidence, so no charges can be pressed, even though you know they're rotten to the core, and are responsible one way or another.).)? I smell impeaches... Do you? Political combat sounds silly, but with the right devices available, seems like it could be a real thing; there's already the weaponization of money laundering SuperPACs.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:52:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »

Sounds like one of those conspiracy theories that Hurricane Sandy was actually man-made and was testing the potential for weaponized storms.

I still think drones will take a while to replace humans. Much as it keeps our soldiers out of danger, having a person at the controls makes people feel safer about the war, if only because it's easier to relate to the human beings marching through your streets than it is a faceless drone rolling through like a tank or flying over like a steely falcon.
Nothing important here, move along.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:18:40 pm »

+1 Novel is Adept threadmaker

Honestly if we don't have spehss mahreens in the future, I will be disappoint. Not because spehss mehrenz, but because it means we're pushing the limits of nature and mankind yet further.
Because fuck yeah humanity.
The spehss marhuens are a bonus.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:23:30 pm »

Bigger tanks, better tanks, mostly because of improving armor and active denial systems.

Maybe even Bolos, someday.

Mmmmm. Bolos.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »

Bigger tanks, better tanks, mostly because of improving armor and active denial systems. more dakka.
The only reason you'd want a bigger tank is to fit a bigger gun onto it. The future of tanks as I see it: Self propelled BIG DAKKA.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »

Bigger tanks, better tanks, mostly because of improving armor and active denial systems. more dakka.
The only reason you'd want a bigger tank is to fit a bigger gun onto it. The future of tanks as I see it: Self propelled BIG DAKKA.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »

As I was looking through the names of topics on the General Discussion section, I have misread the title of this thread as "What will testicular combat look like?" and a strange battlefield visualised before my eyes.

That is the only reason why I'm here at this topic. I wanted to share this with you guys. I have nothing useful to add so I will be leaving now. Good day.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »

Well drones are certainly becoming a big thing in the air, they have a lot of advantages over standard helicopters and fighters/bombers, although there are drawbacks and issues that mean that they probably won't phase out standard aircraft any time soon, the fact that they're a hell of a lot cheaper and harder to detect, means that they're probably going to get pretty damn popular, and not just with the US.

There's also a lot of moves for robots on the ground. Mostly for urban situations where they want something to go down a street or enter a building when they know there's going to be a lot of fire-power pointed your way. You're still going to need soldiers though, robots are just not as flexible as human beings at this point in time.

The one thing that's actually looking to become a thing in warfare in the somewhat distant future is, believe it or not, lasers. They don't look anything like what scifi would have you believe, there's no shafts of light leading from the barrel to the target, there's just a crack and the targeted person explodes in a very ugly fashion. As far as I know we've yet to build anything really practical, but the accuracy on a weaponised laser could make it incredibly deadly at long ranges.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:26 pm »

As I was looking through the names of topics on the General Discussion section, I have misread the title of this thread as "What will testicular combat look like?" and a strange battlefield visualised before my eyes.

That is the only reason why I'm here at this topic. I wanted to share this with you guys. I have nothing useful to add so I will be leaving now. Good day.
Testicular combat was a primitive form of combat, better known with the euphemism of "hitting a woman over the head with a club to claim them" with cavemen as characters in tales of old; but these days, we've advanced technologically, and we resort to symbolics and imagery which allude to it, and sometimes with the firepower to match, though more for passive appearance, rather than actively apply use of it; there have been exceptions, however. Usually through sports cars and plenty of dakka. With the right car, and the right amount of dakka, attrition (in the form of a harem) would show your true dominance.

007 makes the perfect example throughout the ages, especially the Sean Connery era.

There may or may not be developments in the biological/chemeical warfare front. Biological leads to plenty of testicular cancers, whereas chemical warfare involves salsa and/or hot sauce, or IcyHot/Bengay. We are uncertain if the Geneva Convention outlawed these forms of torture yet. One thing is certain, it sounds like it must fucking hurt.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:03:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:28 pm »

Nope. A big enough gun is a big enough gun. You get more than enough firepower with a couple of machine guns, then all that's required is a main gun to engage other armor.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 09:05:35 pm »

Nope. A big enough gun is a big enough gun. You get more than enough firepower with a couple of machine guns, then all that's required is a main gun to engage other armor.
But what if they have massivee armor? Why shoudn't we then put massive guns on every inch, in addition to enough machine guns to keep all life within 200 meters good and dead?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6