Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 83636 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: LangCreate 1.0 and RandCreatures 0.2.0 (RandCreatures updated)
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »

It's a very, very badger pun.

This has already gone too far...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2013, 02:52:50 pm »

Figures. I get started already, and a new version is uploaded. :P

Y'know, I should have checked the 'something else' option. :P

Just got an idea for a suggestion: Give it the ability to generate creatures that can be used to replace domestic critters. That, and playable civs. Just putting that out there.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2013, 07:07:58 pm »

I just have to say, LangCreate is a wonderful tool for me outside of DF modding (I've been getting a deep enough experience out of vanilla so far): giving it some starting words, I've been able to create DF-style placenames for towns and objects in D&D games I run.  Individual cultures get similar-sounding names without pillaging RL languages directly.

I sort of wish that there was an exe or part thereof that would let you search created languages (like you can search dwarven when building fortress and group names), but i imagine it's a lot of work for a use that most people wouldn't be excited about.

If I ever get into modding though, this just as is will go from "nice" to "Indispensable."  Great work!
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2013, 08:46:24 pm »

Hold up on that til I get the next version out, if you want megabeasts/semimegabeasts. I'll try to get the obvious bugs fixed by tomorrow - I've been sick for a lot of the past week, so work kind of slowed down. You can't actually "replace" creatures, though... at least, I wouldn't advise that you do. In any case, I'm glad you'd consider it, and I'll look forwards to watching your LP if you choose to make it. I might officially support it, too, but due to internet issues, I can't promise anything. :\

Can't believe I didn't really notice this post earlier (should really pay more attention, heh. :P), but I just have to say this: I'll be posting the LP here on the forum in the form of a fort/adventure journal, due to my own connection issues. And my earlier tests with the previous version of the generator worked out fine (Well, besides the copious amounts of 'wat' caused by certain results {Flying armless lizard thing with two sets of mandibles and no wings, for example}, although that's probably a good thing, considering the nature of the LP. :P).

Edit: It seems to crash when it tries to gen a civilization, but that may just be because I extracted it to the wrong folder. >_<
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:07:03 pm by Vorthon »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2013, 09:15:05 pm »

Do any of the creatures generated randomly live in the caverns?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2013, 08:15:37 am »

Yes, there are new creatures down in the caverns.

Also, awesome, a new version. I was already looking for an excuse to abandon my current fortress and start a new world.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »

Hey, Talvieno. Got the LP started.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:29 pm »

It's a very, very badger pun.

This has already gone too far...
I toucan seal that. I ferret musk bee stopped be-fur we can't bear it.
Now it's gone too far.

@ Tevish Szat:
    Yeah, it's useful if you just want to create a language to mess with. The next version (which I'm still messing with) will be neater, automatically rearranging the list into alphabetical order for you, in case you want to do that kind of thing with it. I'm afraid it won't do the same thing as the ingame DF name-picker, but if you really want to, you can just replace the dwarf language with your own.  That should work, I think.

@ Person: Yes, there are creatures in the caverns. Originally, it only created cavern creatures. That was back when I was working on my Corpse Fortress mod. Now it makes creatures everywhere in general.

@ Bralbaard: Hope you like what you find. lol    (And that it likes you.)

@ Vorthon: I saw the LP! Looks great so far - hopefully this'll help me improve everything.

At everyone who doesn't mind helping out a bit: I've noticed that creatures with the "An unrecognized, randomly generated creature" description are appearing somewhat more often in this version for some reason... If you could quick-post one or two of those if you happen to see them, that would help me out. It wasn't actually supposed to appear in the raws, it was just meant to warn me that I wasn't being creative enough.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24:20 pm »

Heh. I ran into a few of those when genning the RAWs for my LP. Deleted them. :P

Also added trainable to everything, but still.

Also, some of the simplest (In terms of body structure) creatures are the weirdest. One of them could be best summed up as a giant, wingless, legless mosquito made of stone. :P

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 11:11:39 am »

Heh. I ran into a few of those when genning the RAWs for my LP. Deleted them. :P

Also added trainable to everything, but still.

Also, some of the simplest (In terms of body structure) creatures are the weirdest. One of them could be best summed up as a giant, wingless, legless mosquito made of stone. :P
A few?? Okay, this is worse than I thought. Something is definitely wrong. I'll have to look over it.

How many creatures did you gen, exactly, if you added "trainable" to everything?

Lol. The stone creature type is a holdover from when it was for underground creatures only. I should lessen the chances of that happening, I think. At the moment it's something like one in 50, when it should be closer to one in 250 or so.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:38:47 am by Talvieno »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2013, 05:39:37 pm »

800, I think? I can't remember. Somewhere between 666 (Which is what somebody on #bay12lb suggested) and 800, anyways.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:13 pm »

I think you may want [TRAPAVOID] on the megabeasts - I know that I can catch a minotaur in a cage, but a bronze collossus is a whole different story. I also think all vanilla megabeasts have trapavoid, along with all FB's

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2013, 09:48:19 pm »

800, I think? I can't remember. Somewhere between 666 (Which is what somebody on #bay12lb suggested) and 800, anyways.
That's a lot of editing... Yeah, Toady's total creature count is somewhere around 666 (almost exactly, as I recall), but that's only if you count vermin and other things as creatures. I think the wagon is included in that count.
    In the next version I'll make it possible to force all creatures to have the [TRAINABLE] tag. Then you can have the option of training everything new that comes your way.

I think you may want [TRAPAVOID] on the megabeasts - I know that I can catch a minotaur in a cage, but a bronze collossus is a whole different story. I also think all vanilla megabeasts have trapavoid, along with all FB's
Whoa. I don't know how I missed this, but you're right. Megabeasts ought to be trapavoid. That's easily fixed. Thanks for letting me know - I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise! I never use traps, just archers, so it wouldn't have been something I would've come up with on my own bugfixing fortresses.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2013, 05:55:40 am »

In the next version I'll make it possible to force all creatures to have the [TRAINABLE] tag. Then you can have the option of training everything new that comes your way.

Do any of the random creatures have that tag yet? (I've only had time to gen a new RandCreatures world, not actually play. I could just check my new raws, but I consider them to be full of spoilers ATM.)
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:20 am »

I wonder, if a properly full fledged civ had [TRAINABLE] you could train them as pets once captured?

I'm thinking like a dwarf converting a goblin using only food.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17