Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Scribblenauts Unlimited  (Read 11721 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scribblenauts Unlimited
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:30:35 am »

So, I figure it's about time to start the official topic for the game.

I actually decided to go ahead and spend more money on Steam and decided to pick up Chivalry and this game, and I must say... It's pretty great. Unlike Super Scribblenauts, the other game I've played, this takes a lot much less of a "puzzle" tone. It's still a puzzle game, for sure, but it's not as obvious. Among other things, it's a bit of a creator of stories much like X-Com and DF, and it's just an all-around feel-good game. The references are fantastic and hilarious, and the scenery is very well done. If I remember rightly about Super Scribblenauts, Unlimited has a much greater atmosphere. Much better than its predecessors, in my opinion.

Of course, there are still a few problems:

1. Modding support
I'm aware that Scribblenauts Unlimited connects to Steam Workshop, but as far as I know, that is only for the addition of new characters and items into the game, and in an especially inefficient manner. I'd like to see mod packs and new puzzles able to be added to the game. I'm not familiar with Steam Workshop, but the way it's currently set up right now, modding isn't particularly supported in a constructive fashion.

2. EU support
If you've looked at the other Scribblenauts thread here, the EU release has been pushed back until 2013 for unknown reasons. According to this article from RPS, it was for the addition of multiple languages, although it also mentions that some US players can use multiple languages (although I personally haven't seen where the options are for that).

So far, I'm 25 starites into the game. Anyone have any stories yet? I know this one starite
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, there's a lonely cockroach in Capital City. Don't give him a friend. They overran the city. :(

EDIT: Also,
3. For a console?
For some reason, the devs really want Scribblenauts to be a console game despite that it's almost perfect for the computer. I don't personally understand it, but there are a few quirky design choices for Scribblenauts Unlimited which don't quite make sense on the PC.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:32:49 am by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Scribblenauts Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:36:16 am »

I had this for the DS.  Its amazing how much you could solve with nothing more than a Pegasus, a ghost and a blackhole.  Fun game.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:36:25 am »

I just got this game as well. I'm currently trying to find the most ridiculous ways to solve every 'puzzle'. My best one so far is spawning an army of flying fire-breathing walruses to take out an army of orcs who were trying to siege a castle.

EDIT: 33 starites, suck it
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:52:22 am by woose1 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:57:53 am »

I will warn people that adjectives that don't exactly imply anything specific often don't do anything.

Such as Miraculous.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »

Also, I'm not sure if this is mentioned in the tutorial, but you get starite shards for doing various random and sundry things like creating a developer, making a grilled cheese sandwich, and setting off firecrackers.

And yeah, the best way to go about this game is solving the puzzles in the most ridiculous fashion possible, although I often find myself just using the obvious solution. Most of the puzzles are pretty easy, although I can name like two on hand that are giving my trouble.

EDIT: Also, did you know that the rainbow halibut's favorite food is rainbow-colored grandmothers? It's true.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 12:14:51 pm by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »

I am trying to get the game at a discount... It seems a bit too new to get a 50% one off of steam

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 02:48:56 pm »

This is so much fun. My favourites so far.

Problem: Cat stuck in a tree.
Solution: Gigantic acidic chainsaw.

Problem: Man wants to explore the world.
Solution: Futuristic battlecruiser.

Problem: Firetruck isn't complete.
Solution: Take screaming walrus to use as a siren and a crying anglerfish to fight fires with!

Also my undead platypi attacked me :(
And going drag is damn near mandatory. High heels weee.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 03:11:44 pm »

One thing you may want to do to make the game easier is give yourself the adjective: Indestructible or Immortal... or both.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:22:44 pm »

Oh my god, I am so getting this.
Eventually.
When I have cash.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »

What happens if you type in 42?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 03:23:33 pm »

Oh my god, I am so getting this.
Eventually.
When I have cash.

Yes NOTHING will stop you! except you know... all those things that can stop you.

Also nothing happens... numbers arn't part of objects.

Also poor people who get the 3DS version of this since the 3DS exclusive words are TERRIBLE! The game almost completely doesn't recognise them AND they cannot take adjectives.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:26:45 pm by Neonivek »

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:51:36 pm »

I just got this game as well. I'm currently trying to find the most ridiculous ways to solve every 'puzzle'. My best one so far is spawning an army of flying fire-breathing walruses to take out an army of orcs who were trying to siege a castle.

EDIT: 33 starites, suck it

Your Starites are crap. When I get this game, you will fear my army of flaming mortar logs!
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 12:00:39 am »

Check out TB's WTF is... of it as well. It's wonderful.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 01:09:20 am »

Check out TB's WTF is... of it as well. It's wonderful.
That's the thing that sold me on this game, funnily enough. I mean, I was already keeping an eye on it, but the fact that TotalBiscuit (a man widely known for his frustration and dislike of puzzle games) adores it was the clincher.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 01:39:14 am »

Had a bash at this earlier.  It's impressive, but not much of a game IMO.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: [1] 2 3 4