Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Scribblenauts Unlimited  (Read 11713 times)

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
Re: Scribblenauts Unlimited
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 02:23:55 am »

Had a bash at this earlier.  It's impressive, but not much of a game IMO.

Based on my experience with one of the previous ones, it's a game. Goal oriented, with easy puzzles where the challenge is to find the most off-the-wall solution. Definition of a game: A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 02:40:29 am »

Super Scribblenauts was a blast. I need to buy this game, but... $30 bucks for a game on Steam just doesn't feel right. I guess I'll just plug Super Scribblenauts in again until the Christmas Sale.

If you haven't boarded the Scribblenauts train yet, though, buy it. It's super fun.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 02:44:10 am »

Why do you people insist on making me want this game? I was trying not to buy anything til the holiday sale! :(
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 02:52:21 am »

I played and loved the original for DS. The "story" levels, more than the action levels. I'd consider getting this, if it is a huge improvement over the original like I've been hearing.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 04:57:37 am »

Problem: Cat stuck in a tree.
Solution: Gigantic acidic chainsaw.

I think it's really cool how many different ways there are to solve a given puzzle. The obvious one for this is to make like a ladder or something and get the cat yourself. However, you've cut the tree down, and one of my friends gave the cat wings so it could fly down. Personally I gave myself a shrink ray and shrunk the tree until it was small enough for the cat to just hop down from.

The more you think about it, the more you realise just how much thought and attention to detail has gone into this game. It's awesome :D
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

Had a bash at this earlier.  It's impressive, but not much of a game IMO.

Based on my experience with one of the previous ones, it's a game. Goal oriented, with easy puzzles where the challenge is to find the most off-the-wall solution. Definition of a game: A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Personally I would love it if the game actually got a difficulty injection.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 11:32:21 am »

I played and loved the original for DS. The "story" levels, more than the action levels. I'd consider getting this, if it is a huge improvement over the original like I've been hearing.

I would say that this is pretty much all "story" levels, in a way. It certainly has none of the "connect this to make that or fulfill these conditions" levels that Super Scribblenauts was fond of.

Personally I would love it if the game actually got a difficulty injection.

Personally, I wouldn't...really. I mean, it is a very easy game to play, but it is the type of game that can be either easy to play or really frustrating to play. In my opinion, anyway, it is very hard to balance the difficulty.

Right now, it's just like pure feel-good fun, and I like that. It gives me a reasonable break from cutting heads in Chivalry, some of the more frustrating sections in Metro 2033, and the feels I got from To the Moon.

I don't have many games that scratch that joyful silliness itch quite like Scribblenauts.
Also often called Boowells.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 11:38:37 am »

Personally, I wouldn't...really. I mean, it is a very easy game to play, but it is the type of game that can be either easy to play or really frustrating to play. In my opinion, anyway, it is very hard to balance the difficulty

Sounds like you REALLY need a difficulty injection if the choice between having the game being blissfully easy and having a more difficult section... is actually met with "NO!!! Frustration frustrates me!"

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 11:54:10 am »

Personally, I wouldn't...really. I mean, it is a very easy game to play, but it is the type of game that can be either easy to play or really frustrating to play. In my opinion, anyway, it is very hard to balance the difficulty

Sounds like you REALLY need a difficulty injection if the choice between having the game being blissfully easy and having a more difficult section... is actually met with "NO!!! Frustration frustrates me!"

Uh... Games don't need to be frustrating, to be honest. I have other games for that, as I mentioned. Fun doesn't need to challenge you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 11:56:50 am »

Yes but you forget. Your response was "ANY frustration in this game? NOOOOOO!"

Now that I remember it... the game being stupidly pathetically easy was my complaint of the first game too... With the only difficult puzzles being ones that are just outright unclear or broken.

---

Yeah calling it now... Scribblenauts needs a Rainbow Road. Perfect difficulty injection!

Knirisk can just avoid Rainbow Road.

Edit: Hmm maybe I am too smart for Scribblenauts.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:02:07 pm by Neonivek »

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 12:03:12 pm »

Yes but you forget. Your response was "ANY frustration in this game? NOOOOOO!"

Now that I remember it... the game being stupidly pathetically easy was my complaint of the first game too... With the only difficult puzzles being ones that are just outright unclear or broken.

---

Yeah calling it now... Scribblenauts needs a Rainbow Road

Knirisk can just avoid Rainbow Road.

I have no idea where you're getting that idea, quite frankly. It might've been because I mentioned that the game is generally polarized into mild and difficult sections and, for the game devs, it's hard to strike a balance between the two, something you also just mentioned. So I figure, why not have it the easy way instead of the "outright unclear or broken" way?

I don't understand the necessity for personal attacks, though. Not cool.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 12:09:34 pm »

I said "Difficulty injection" and you said outright no.

The Unclear and broken wasn't because the game was trying to be hard. It came about because the game didn't know how to explain something clearly.

Also Rainbow road was a way to appease both our needs. It allows a section that isn't really easy and one that people who do not want difficulty of any sort can avoid.

In otherwords you don't want difficulty you want freeform creativity where the challenge is how much you can stretch the parameters of the solution.

---

But I've come to the conclusion that I forgot that Scribblenauts is far too easy for me and that I am too intelligent and creative for it.

Which isn't really showing off but more of a statement that any puzzle the game gives me, I already solved 10 times before I finish reading it, and the imagination to fulfil it before the game shows it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:15:18 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 12:41:30 pm »

*rolls eyes*
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 12:43:45 pm »

*rolls eyes*

*Shrugs*

It really is the explanation. Does it mean that intelligent creative people can't enjoy it? Of course not

Does it mean that if I was less intelligent and creative that I'd enjoy it? yeah

It just isn't a game for me because of my own bad tendencies to take the game seriously.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:55:55 pm by Neonivek »

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 12:58:59 pm »

Omnipresent doesn't do anything... :C
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4