Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64126 times)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2012, 01:08:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure that your island does not exist.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2012, 01:12:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure that your island does not exist.

Nope, it is there:
Actions
>Send down metal-laden astroids onto an uninhabited area of the planet.
>after a 100-year constant bombardment of the area, construct palace at the location of greatest concentration.  (Uplift land above sea-level if there is none on the planet after bombardment)
The metal-bombarded are was lifted up by volcanic activity. You now have a very metal-rich island, full of iron, platinum, iridium and other quite rare metals. You also increase the metal concentration in the seas and life adapts.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 07, 2012, 01:30:50 pm »

Oh, sorry.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 07, 2012, 04:16:48 pm »

Azeroth will make sure a few poripinnans get washed into a tidal pool with some photosynthetic prokaryotes. The prokaryotes will evolve to be able to live upon the poripinnans, although without harming them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:37 pm »

I cant wait for your civilization(s) to make a space elevator.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 10, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »

Sorry for the absence, I could come up with all sorts of excuses, but I won't. I just was lazy as hell. I'm sorry.

There are many diseases caused by Prokaryotes! Food poisoning, Malaria! Typhoid!

Hmm. Is there a posion sphere? I think it would fit with mah charecter. Strength, and what takes it away.

Good to know that prokaryotes can cause diseases aswell! I just wasn't sure if just the simple structure of them is enough to have an impact on higher organisms. The spheres can overlap, just don't be too similar to others.

With the aggration of cells Eukayotes into tighter clusters, cells in the center of the group find a use supplying suplementary proteins while those closer to the edge form a mucous that loosely binds them together and those few layers on the edge specialize more in feeding/uptake mechanisms.  The result is an immobile amorpheous drifting colony of semispecialized cells that finds strength in numbers and specialization.

edit:  One problem colonies have is that there are too many of them together.  They can comsume all their food (and starve) or even suffocate the cells in the center by denying them a healthy environment.

You get some more specialized colonies! Nice! Also, those cells live in symbiosis for a reason. I doubt that they would evolve into such a form if some parts of the colonies just died.

The poripinnans are my sponge-kinda-like organisms; I used the name a while back and mentioned it was my official name for them. Understandable that you forgot, though.

Diseases can be prokaryotic. See: Bacteria.

Anyways...

Some of the smaller poripinnans will grow smaller and begin to lodge themselves parasitically in the pores of larger filter-feeding creatures, such as Zanzetukhan's. They will filter out food which would have been pumped into the larger organism.

Meanwhile, some of the deep-sea poripinnans
(I thought the poripinnans were monophyletic?) will develop a type of cell which takes note of the chemicals being pumped through the water, as well as cells which form a better intercell communication pathway. In short, a primitive nose and very primitive nerves. Call these new creatures rhinasusans.

Finally, because those primordial-soup prokaryotes haven't been getting much love lately, some of the eukaryotic creatures of the aforementioned lineage will absorb some of the related poisonous ones, causing the latter to become poison-producing organelles.

Oh, alright then, sorry that I forgot, I just probably wasn't paying attention at th time... Ayway, you create the first parasitic organisms! And also the first nerve-like system, very primitive for now, of course. (And relatively useless for now). The surface sponges, living in shallow water branched off of the poripinnans quite a while ago, if that's what you were wondering about. Also,some of the poisonous prokaryotes develop into organelles!

Meanwhile, some of the deep-sea poripinnans[/b] (I thought the poripinnans were monophyletic?) will develop a type of cell which takes note of the chemicals being pumped through the water, as well as cells which form a better intercell communication pathway. In short, a primitive nose and very primitive nerves. Call these new creatures rhinasusans.
At the size the actual organism are, specialized cells for communication are not really useful. Increasing the general cellular communication would be enough.

Finally, because those primordial-soup prokaryotes haven't been getting much love lately, some of the eukaryotic creatures of the aforementioned lineage will absorb some of the related poisonous ones, causing the latter to become poison-producing organelles.
Now this is new. Nowhere on earth there is "poisonous organelles". Poison is usually produced the same way as regular proteins. That would be a secondary, specialized protein "factory", something truly alien. It is perhaps less efficient than the regular way, though.

Good to have biology student here, just sayin'. At least that's what your title says... Anyways...

The proto-nerves might not be very useful for now, but there may have been some evolutionary motivations for such a course of development. Also, it might help in the future.
And I also like how this is turning out. The first truly non-Earth-like thing we have here!

Some of the predator cells start to clump together, making colonies. These colonies have thre types of cells.

1 : Move cells = They're the "motors" of the colonies, having many flagellas.
2 : Link cells = These cells are tunnels and connections to the move cells and the breeder cells
3 : Breeder cells = These cells are the only cells in the colony capable of mitosis. They produce link cells and move cells, as well daughter blobs, which mature inside the mother colony.

The fate of every colony is to die eventually, because the daughter colony rupture the mother colony.

Usually, these colonies have 50-100 cells. They form a ball, but only the surface are cells. The innard is filled with jelly, in which the daughter colonies mature.

They're prone to viral infections.

You develop new cell colonies!

I had imagined the poripinnans as being at least a millimeter or so...um, GM, can we get an update on sizes?

Well, they vary in size... They could be from a millimeter, to the size of modern sponges. The term porripinnan is used for the bwhole group of the organisms.

This time, I have to agree with the others. This is WAY too complex compared to the most complex things we have now: sponges with a few specialized tissues. The floating on gas is alright, the mobile sponge-like creatures descended from the deep sea organisms could develop bubbles of gas to float on water currents. Although the stomach is way beyond what is possible right now. The most advanced creatures have only separated chambers for filtering food and CO2 right now! You'll have to use a simpler version of the organism.

I have to ask, without the primitive version of the heart, how is the organism sending the nutrients to the cells far away from the stomach?  I had placed in the primitive version of the heart (only has a single chamber) there to cause pressure fluctuations to send the nutrients to the rest of the body, but since it is not there, what is sending along the nutrients?

Nevermind, bacteria evolved for that purpose (aka. smaller) would be the better solution to the problem at the current time.  Could also have another kind in the stomach as well.

Was going to post this to help in the decision of what would be needed instead of a heart, but I thought of the solution above.  It took so long to make, and I am not going to delete it.
Spoiler: the Yisfjlelh (click to show/hide)

Actions

>Promote population increase in the Yisfjlelh species.
>Promote cell specialization in the Yisfjlelh species.
>Promote symbiosis between macrophages and Yisfjlelh species

Because of the small size, the nutrients can be brought to the areas where they are needed just through osmosis. It;s no problem for small organisms. Also, you create your new species and achieve symbiosis with cells that help them digest stuff.

Indeed.
Granted, we have no idea how long each turn is...and it would be REALLY boring to direct the growth of different kinds of microbes for a hundred turns or whatever before getting to the rest, then having entire civilizations fall in under a turn.

Turns will slow down by then. I really should specify how long they are...

There is one source of materials that each and every one of us has overlooked when providing benefits to these growing species.

Lord Draken reaches into the cells that comprise himself and from them pulls their DNA coding to survive in oxygen rich environments and grants each of the races this resisitance to the gas as he starts to turn the Sulfur Dioxide into Ozone and removes the sulfur to Tranquality where he stores the sulfur in a solid mass.

*Draken's DNA grants increase oxygen resistance to all currently alive races*

you separate

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 10, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »

At that size, and with both movement (the jets which make them more than mere sponges) and smell, the nerves would actually be pretty useful.

Some of the rhinasusans (the critters with scent and nerves) develop a series of chambers near the surface of their body, capable of detecting vibrations (similar to ears or a fish's lateral line system). True tissues start to develop among them as well.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:25 pm »

*Takes the Spheres of Ice and Stone*

*Goes and finds a comet made of solid Dry Ice, breaks it into small chuncks(that will not reach the ground) and sends them toward Genesis. They should arrive in two turns.*

*Starts pushing as much water as I can into the verious faults, in order to start up the plate tectonics engine.*

*Expands the Ice sheets to within 29° of the equator on either side, then lets nature take its course. Snowball Genesis anyone?*
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2012, 08:21:48 pm »

Increase vulcanism to keep black smokers alive and thriving. More.

((We already have plenty of life, what are you doing with the comet?))
Sig

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2012, 08:35:32 pm »

Hello... Dry Ice. Frozen CO2.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:36 pm »

((Then why expand the ice sheets? The CO2 in the atmosphere will just cause them to melt.))
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 10, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »

((Can I join in? I am only posting a comment for now just so I ca find this later, I do not know how to favorite things yet. would all this stuff create room for new divine niches eventually? I am jsut not sure how to enter this X3))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2012, 08:02:33 am »

((Then why expand the ice sheets? The CO2 in the atmosphere will just cause them to melt.))
Or it will cause a chainreaction and result in an ice age. Ice is very good at reflecting stuff, after all.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:13 am »

Or it will cause a chainreaction and result in an ice age. Ice is very good at reflecting stuff, after all.
Nah, the CO2 will trap a bit of heat, melt some ice which releases more trapped CO2 in a chain reaction until either the planet experiences flooding or something affects the planet to freeze a large portion of the CO2 allowing the planet to cool, freezing more CO2.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2012, 09:02:08 am »

Nah, the CO2 will trap a bit of heat, melt some ice which releases more trapped CO2 in a chain reaction until either the planet experiences flooding or something affects the planet to freeze a large portion of the CO2 allowing the planet to cool, freezing more CO2.
I was talking about the ice layer. Suddenly freezing a large part of the surface will tremendously increase the albedo, drop water vapour levels and plunge the planet into icebal mode, quite probably killing all surface life.

Co2 doesn't freeze, at least not at the expected temperature drop.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28