Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64259 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2012, 12:09:18 pm »

The chloroplasts and mitochandria, they are supposed to be the remains of ingested cells.  Is this required?  I always wondered why the offspring of cells who incorperated those components didnt eat them and start anew...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2012, 12:12:50 pm »

The chloroplasts and mitochandria, they are supposed to be the remains of ingested cells.  Is this required?  I always wondered why the offspring of cells who incorperated those components didnt eat them and start anew...
It's not required, but it's just the way it worked in the real world. Doing it on your own would be harder to evolve, and also less efficient.

Also, the point about mitochondria/chloroplasts is that they somehow were not detected as foreign by the host cell. The offspring cells are just clones of the original cells, as are the offspring mitochondria.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2012, 05:06:47 am »

Bokecca the god of righteousness and persistence commands the primordial soup and black smokers to drive the comet invaders from the world! Maybe introducing some stimuli to promote mobility would be a good start...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2012, 05:55:10 am »

Bokecca the god of righteousness and persistence commands the primordial soup and black smokers to drive the comet invaders from the world! Maybe introducing some stimuli to promote mobility would be a good start...

What? My poor asteroid RNA! Leave them alone!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2012, 06:01:46 am »

What? My poor asteroid RNA! Leave them alone!
I agree with Dragor23 there. What have they done to you? poor bacterias!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

Due the constant radiation, some of the prokaryotic cells degenrate, losing some of their RNA-Code. They are now not able to live alone, so they start to "infect" healthy prokaryotic cells with their broken code, forcing them to produce more of these broken cells.

I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or not, but you made the first virus-like organisms. Although viruses aren't considered "life" in our world, in this one, they should be. Sort of.

Prokaryote does not imply RNA.

"I'm going a bit out of my domain again, okay?"
Spur the evolution of DNA and proteins in the black smoker microbes.

Your cells eventually start using DNA, a double helix of RNA with some other extra differences. How far we went from those bubbles of lipids with a bit of RNA in them! Not that far... Yet. Overall, DNA is a more stable storage for genetic information, eventually all the deep sea cells adopt this method. The DNA cells outbreed the more primitive RNA cells. RNA-using prokaryotes are extinct down there.

The next step:  The invention of cillia and advent of real predators who seek out prey!  Amoeba armada rise up!

Amoeba? No... Not yet. They are like a 100 times more complicated than the simple lipid vessels of RNA/DNA we have now.

The current prokaryotes are either amoeba or just go with the flow of the water...

Prokaryotes are basically just naked nuclei. Vessels for RNA/DNA. They have yet to develop another membrane and organelles, like amoeba, which are eukaryotes.

"true" amoeba are eukaryots, just saying.
Also the free radicals come from O2 respiration, not photosynthesis. And a single enzym, degrading H2O2 into H2O and O2, resolve the problem quite well. Otherwise, just dump it out. For small primitive bacteria it should be fairly simple (eukaryots are 10 times bigger and have their free radicals produced deep inside, while bacterias have them on the external membrane.
Photosynthesis will cause free radicals as well as O2 respiration.AFAIK. However, the problem still remains that photosynthesis is impossible without compertamentalization.

Anyway, my action. As a side effect from the now persistent virusses amongst the Deep creatures, other things started to happen. Even adult/ healthy cells started to temporaliy merge with each other, periodically sharing genetic information before parting again.

Whoa, big step forward. Sexual (well, sort of) reproduction! This really will spur evolution on!

However, the problem still remains that photosynthesis is impossible without compertamentalization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria
I'll leave this here and watch.

Hmm, if you really want to evolve cyanobacteria from one of the current prokaryote branches and then maybe evolve them into chloroplasts, it's up to you. But you're going to wipe out most of the anaerobic organisms here. Like on Earth, this will be one of the biggest revolutions of the composition of life ever.

Well, maybe the cells "decided" to keep them around, because it's much more efficient for them. Mitochondria and chloroplasts act like their own organisms inside the cells, they divide up independently, they even have their own DNA.

Alright, we seem to have the first conflict of divine interests here. For no apparent reason... Ah well, doesn't matter. Cells from the comet(s) have already populated most of the world oceans and they coexist. It'll be hard to drive them extinct. The deep sea black smoker organisms won't be able to help your interests, as they only populate underwater zones with volcanic activity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:29 pm »

Increase the cellular complexity of those black-smoker organisms.
Introduce a species of the sexually-reproducing prokaryotes, modified so that it can symbiose with the smokers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2012, 01:08:56 am »

Technically it's not sexual reproduction. In fact, it isn't even reproduction. It just sharing of genetic materials via plasmids.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2012, 01:20:51 am »

We should make one of these.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »

We don't even have specialized cells yet.
Or even clusters of cells, like Volvox.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2012, 05:22:16 pm »

Hmm... A bit quiet here. I guess it's my fault aswell, for that I'm sorry. But really, it started off nicely and now... It's almost dead... Alright, I'll continue, no matter how many people play this.

Planet: Genesis
Mass: 0.95 Earth masses
Diameter: 11858 km
SMA: 2.4 AU
Atmosphere: Nitrogen (95.2%), Carbon Dioxide (4%), Other gases (Argon, water vapor etc.) (0.8%), 1.0 ATM
Axis: 24°
Water covering: 60% of the surface, quite unstable climate
Geology: Active, Earth-like
Moons:
Unnamed moon 1:
                       Mass: 0.012 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3446 km
                       SMA: 403 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 28°
                       Atmosphere: None
                       Geology: Dead
Unnamed moon 2:
                       Mass: 0.007 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3177 km
                       SMA: 151 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 87°
                       Geology: Volatile, Io-like

We still need names for the moons and the suns, good luck with that!  :)

Technically it's not sexual reproduction. In fact, it isn't even reproduction. It just sharing of genetic materials via plasmids.

Yeah, but they are sharing DNA, so that should spur evolution on a bit anyway.

Increase the cellular complexity of those black-smoker organisms.
Introduce a species of the sexually-reproducing prokaryotes, modified so that it can symbiose with the smokers.

Well, your experimenting has caused quite a leap forward! The symbiotic cells taking their nutrients from the black smokers somehow... merged into bigger cells. Cells that have a nucleus, but also other complex structures in them, like mitochondria-like parts that greatly help the nutrient production for the cells. You created the first eukaryotes! These new cells sometimes form a filter on top of the black smoker, to filter some useful stuff from it, like the CO2 they feed on.

We should make one of these.

Maybe one day, maybe one day... But not now!

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2012, 06:16:39 pm »

The prokaryotes are slowly dying, getting attacked by their own descedants, the virusses. But, some of the prokaryotes survived... These, who binded complex carbon hydrates to their outer border proteins and phosphorlipides. With these, they can identify themselves and the virusses have a harder time to penetrate the bio membranes. It's a protection!

Also, these prokaryotes made little vesicles, full of chemical conductions, which attack and dissolve foreign RNA in the cell. Splicer Enzymes, you can say. They're yet another layer of protection for the cell.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »

Have some of the eukaryotes join in colonies, a la Volvox or something.
Sig

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2012, 12:45:12 am »

Yay it's back!
>Some of the virii began to insert their DNA/RNA into the cells' one, which increase their efficiency. But as they leave the cell, errors in the reproduction process can lead to the new virii having some of the cell's gene in them. Genes that will be passed on to the new host...
This happen EVERYTIME in the real world. The scientists are trying to figure out the "horizontal transfers" of genes between species, and it's a TANGLED MESS... I think I read somewhere that we have a sizeable fraction of our genes coming from virii.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:30 pm »

The prokaryotes are slowly dying, getting attacked by their own descedants, the virusses. But, some of the prokaryotes survived... These, who binded complex carbon hydrates to their outer border proteins and phosphorlipides. With these, they can identify themselves and the virusses have a harder time to penetrate the bio membranes. It's a protection!

Also, these prokaryotes made little vesicles, full of chemical conductions, which attack and dissolve foreign RNA in the cell. Splicer Enzymes, you can say. They're yet another layer of protection for the cell.

You make good protection against viruses! Within the protective layer, organelles developed aswell, along with many more complicated proteins and enzymes. Now your cell has a cell core, an outer membrane, organelles, all guided from the nucleus via proteins, mRNA and other things. You have eukaryotes.

Have some of the eukaryotes join in colonies, a la Volvox or something.

Your cells form clusters around the black smokers, creating the first colonies of sigle-celled organisms.

Yay it's back!
>Some of the virii began to insert their DNA/RNA into the cells' one, which increase their efficiency. But as they leave the cell, errors in the reproduction process can lead to the new virii having some of the cell's gene in them. Genes that will be passed on to the new host...
This happen EVERYTIME in the real world. The scientists are trying to figure out the "horizontal transfers" of genes between species, and it's a TANGLED MESS... I think I read somewhere that we have a sizeable fraction of our genes coming from virii.

Interesting how the virus genetic information gets into something else's DNA. We don't even know how and if it affected the evolution. I'm no biologist, so I might be wrong, but here on our planet, it spurred on evolution quite a bit. The Eukaryotes become a bit more complicated and sophisticated towards things like defence against virii, and it helped the native cells from the primordial soup to develop complex structures. It's all about the eukaryotes now!

Planet: Genesis
Mass: 0.95 Earth masses
Diameter: 11858 km
SMA: 2.4 AU
Atmosphere: Nitrogen (95.2%), Carbon Dioxide (4%), Other gases (Argon, water vapor etc.) (0.8%), 1.0 ATM
Axis: 12°
Water covering: 60% of the surface, quite unstable climate
Geology: Active, Earth-like
Moons:
Unnamed moon 1:
                       Mass: 0.012 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3446 km
                       SMA: 403 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 28°
                       Geology: Dead
Unnamed moon 2:
                       Mass: 0.007 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3177 km
                       SMA: 151 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 87°
                       Geology: Volatile, Io-like

We still need names for the moons and stars...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28