Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43

Author Topic: "Why don't women like nice guys?"  (Read 43637 times)

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
Re: "Why don't women like nice guys?"
« Reply #195 on: November 14, 2012, 03:47:20 pm »

Alas, i'm way way too late to contribute to this interesting thread, and i wish i noticed it before.

Gender roles are sociocultural constructs. They do not come from biology itself, rather from an eventual division of labor that may arise from the reproductive differences between the sexes, and which in no way is intrinsic to the essence of masculinity and femininity.
In past times they weren't as near as all-encompassing, neither the labor division was as strict as we're led to believe in our modern times. While gender segregated societies were and are still a thing, their members do still have agency.

Gender only determines the way you're encouraged to express yourself by society, not by intrinsic qualities of gender itself, but as a political byproduct.

Conflating agency with masculinity and passiveness with femininity falls right into the fallacy of anatomical determinism, which in turn is subjected to cultural bias.
The biologic disparity in sexes that brings to a disparity of mansions is in the functions of conception and pregnancy. Such characteristics may bring differences of power in certain areas (e.g. human males develop to not gestate, barring ectopic pregnancies), but doesn't justify concepts of superiority, and in turn is not a disparity that necessarily favors the male of the species.
What is framed as active can be as well framed as passive.

~~~

An analogy on the nice guy syndrome. Imagine children in a sandbox, a girl building a sandcastle. She is almost done, she is busy perfecting the very last final touches. A boy comes up to her and destroys her work. She is obviously not pleased.
She starts rebuilding, this time with a better foundation, a castle with a more compact shape, thought to withstand the whims of a jerk passing by, easier to protect. As she is almost done, that boy comes up again and destroys her castle for the second time.
She is pissed.

She moves to the opposite corner of the sandbox. As she is placing her things together to start her work again, a second boy comes up to her. He tells her he will protect her from the evil castle flattener, she replies with sure, whatever, i don't mind. She is focused on building, when the boy creeps up to her and says 'i'm protecting you, you owe me your lunch'. The girl refuses his request, on the basis that they never agreed on any reward, the boy has a meltdown and storms off.

A third boy comes up to her. He asks her if he can knock her castle down. She stands still, thinking about his request. She says yes, but only after she is done building it and after saying it is ready to be toppled down. They work out a plan together and eventually they start building more castles together and they both knock the things down.

The first boy is obviously a stand-in for abuse. The second is the 'nice guy' that fails to recognize the agency of the target of his affections and is upset when something doesn't fit into his rigid and transactional view of relationships. The third one is what you could call the authentic nice guy, that treats the girl as a true peer, but is seen by the 'nice guy' as no different than boy #1 ("He destroyed her castle! And she let him do it! She must be a masochist!").

Yes, but what if a girl is attracted to boy #1 instead of boy #3?

As for the conflation of jerkiness and attractiveness:

The mystery of those drawn to toxic relationships is not so much of a mystery as we think, they're drawn to the promise of growth they see in entering that relationship at that time (yet if it was true & healthy growth the relationship wouldn't be toxic in first place, but i digress..). They are also aware that the relationship can't last and/or is outright damaging, but still go for it because they see it as the only way, during that time, to nurture some aspect of themselves that they can't quite explain. This can happen to people of all sexes, genders, and sexual orientations.

On a sadomasochistic perspective:
The sadist projects onto another person his/her hypothetical pain to control its own, in a warped empathy with the goal of proving to him/herself that he can control his/her weakness by imposing it onto another, as a testament of one's own will and (imagined) strength to survive those torments they decide to inflict.
The masochist seeks rebirth outside of the human condition through the fetishization of privation and suffering, seen as necessary as negative counterparts for the existence of perfection (intended as the pre-birth eternal lack of need).
You could say they're two faces of the same medal and that deep down inside each sadist there's a masochist, and vice versa, since the sadist attempts rebirth through his/her victims, and the masochist controls his sufference through victimhood..  both looking at the other as only an extension of self.

This dovetails into the anthropological concept of primitive shame, which is deemed the powerlessness at the heart of the myth of total control oh-so-present in our western societies.

If you're interested in a way more articulate reading on the subject you can look up pages 82-84 of this book or section VI of the .pdf 'Objectification and Ressentiment' by Martha Nussbaum, if it's still for free somewhere around the net.

Another interesting read that i feel is still related to the topic.. Norah Vincent is a journalist that decided to live 18 months as a man, and wrote a book about it.
While i'm usually very critical of identity immersion journalism, she makes some very good points about gender dynamics in dating, and it's well worth reading imho. Here's an article about her experience.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:32 pm »

The thread that spawned this one was locked because the author got angry at me over this very point.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118837.msg3781998#msg3781998

It may surprise you to learn this, but I actually came up with this idea of my own initiative.  Sorry.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2012, 04:07:52 pm »

Girls who are receptive to being put to use are often put to use.
That's a great answer to a question I didn't ask.

It may surprise you to learn this, but I actually came up with this idea of my own initiative.  Sorry.
Uhoh, that sounds like Masculine Energy to me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »

Obviously Vector is a GIRL.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »

Curious coincidence of timing, then. You posted your PSA thread shortly after that other thread on a related topic was closed.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:27 pm »

There's nothing unique about S&M in this. I've given plenty of examples of giver/receiver that don't even involve humans.
Woooooooosh. Right over your head. There's nothing unique about Masculine/Feminine in this either. So why do you use one word to mean the other, instead of just building the correlation?

...but I've said several times that some guys perceive masculinity in the sense that I describe as somehow "wrong" or evil. Given that I've said so...to follow up by equating it with sadism isn't obviously construed as a joke.
Ok. Don't see how this is relevant. I don't think most people consider S&M evil anyway. But whatever. I don't care what hangups you're bringing to the conversation, it's irrelevant to what we're discussing, beyond that the fact that you consider using loaded language a good thing when it helps you and a bad thing otherwise.

It's dishonest, on the face of it.
No. I am asserting a correlation. I am asserting that "masculine/feminine" correlate with the concept being described. I am therefore using those words because I believe in the correlation. It's ok if you disagree with the correlation, but don't accuse me of being "dishonest" simply for making an assertion you disagree with.
Except you aren't making a correlation. You are describing the concepts as identical. You are using the language of one to describe the other as a part of your argument that one is related to the other. This is, in fact, dishonest! For example:

Liking football and belching
If I was trying to to argue a correlation between football and belching, and in the very first paragraph decided that "footballing" was an acceptable stand-in for belching, and that it is obvious that football players engage in footballing, then yes - that would be dishonest. You are presupposing your conclusion in the essence of your argument, rendering it as nothing but a dishonest abuse of psychological conditioning.

are not "masculine traits." These are cultural traits that might arbitrarily be associated with men. Liking the color pink and knitting are not "feminine traits." These are cultural traits that might arbitrarily be associated with women.
Masculine
-- "Having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men, esp. strength and aggressiveness."
[/quote]
"This isn't something associated with being male, it's just something associated with being male." Is this seriously your argument now?

Possessing the ability to do is masculine. In order to do, there must be a doer and something for the acting of doing to be acted upon.
Even assuming this is true (and that's a tortorous definition crawl to get there), this does not in any way imply it is acceptable to use "masculine" as a stand in for "posessing the ability to do". A being in set B does not mean you can call B A. Cats being mammals, and exhibiting the qualities of mammals, does not mean I can try to make an argument that mammals are cute by saying "cats are cute" without being dishonest. And if I start talking about how "dogs are in part cats", then I'm not just being dishonest, I'm being stupid too.

The "more proper meaning" for these words of masculine/feminine is the yin/yang active/passive giver/receiver concept. It is masculine to have power and be able to do, because that's what the concept of masculinity is...once you separate it from arbitrary social convention.
Except that's not what the concept of masculinity is when you look at the definitions of masculinity YOU provided, its dishonest to use use less accurate and loaded language when you have more accurate language readily available, your supposition that "masculine is to have power and be able to do" is basically unsupported by anything, and EVEN IF NONE OF THIS WAS THE CASE, the fact that the core masculinity is power and being able to do does NOT make "masculine" an acceptable stand in for "power and able to do", only a word that contains that concept as it's core, any more than "obese" works as a stand in for "large".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2012, 04:33:38 pm »

Very interesting, Mimidormi. I'm totally going to check out those articles.

It's not exactly safe to go out and forage if you're 7-8 months along and can't run very well. And AFAIK women need a couple of days to recuperate after birth before they can do any strenuous physical activity. And I reckon a nursing woman needs a lot of protein in her diet, which would primarily come from meat, ie hunting which was a male job.
How much is cultural and how much is evolutionary?

I'm not very well versed on ancient civilizations but I do remember that there were a few in which women were warriors and hunters and such as well. Hell, Agriculture is "new" on an evolutionary timescale, so I don't quite buy the "men = hunters, women = farmers/housemakers" thing either.

Sciencefuge to the rescue.

Due to the size of our heads, and our unique bone structure due to our large brains and bipedal gait, Human childbirth is a big deal... far more taxing and difficult than most other animals on the planet. Among evolutionary biologists, this is called The Obstetrical Dillemma; our brains and free hands were really useful, but posed serious problems that lead to a high infant mortality rate. The first thing we evolved to compensate for this is that, as babies, we are essentially all born premature and with unfused cranial bones, so we don't get our skulls crushed during childbirth. We finish our development out of the womb, which results in a lot of necessary parental involvement.

Women also evolved to have a hidden Menstrual Cycle, and undergo a period of infertility later in life called Menopause. Hidden Menstrus means males would never know when sex could result in a child, which lead to long-term physical and emotional bonding between partners, rather than the short term "Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am" you find in non-social species... thus Men and Women were both around to contribute to child-rearing. As for Menopause, it's pretty much unheard of for adult animals to be infertile for a period of time, but it helped early Humans by allowing adult Women to assist younger mothers in nursing and child-rearing, to help distribute the labor and physical cost of child-rearing across their social group.

There are other things as well, but generally speaking, it is from these evolutions that the social nature of humans, and human cultures, evolved. We invented cultural practices to solidify Pair Bonding and Female Exogamy in the form of Marriage Rituals. We became highly co-dependant on our biological relatives and communities to help provide for us when we were young or in poor straits. We also created gender roles to protect pregnant mothers from the dangers of the ancient world. As advancements in nutrition, medical care, and other technology has allowed us to move beyond the challenges related to childbirth and child-rearing, many of these things are no longer relevant to us or our culture. I'd argue that this is why we see people pushing to revise the definition of Marriage with something that fits new problems our culture faces; two same-sex parents could do a much better job of adopting and raising orphaned children than impersonal governmental institutions. Similarly, babies can be surgically removed when mature, or even allowed to mature in artificial conditions not confined to a human body, so many of the problems that once made childbirth such a big deal for us no longer apply.

But yeah, men being breadwinners is a very new cultural phenomenon that arose around the Industrial Revolution, with the most extreme compartmentalization of labor we've yet seen as a species. We've been phasing it out for decades now, and it will likely become a thing of the past soon enough. As technology supersedes more of our biological limitations, we'll probably be seeing a lot of other new revisions of our culture as well.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:41:44 pm by Solifuge »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »

stuff

GlyphGlyph...do you:

A) Believe that you understand the model that I'm describing, but disagree with it.
B) Believe that you do not understand the model that I'm describing.
C) Believe that the model I describe is not logically self-consistent, and therefore believe that I don't understand it.

?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »

Let's see you come up with an honest argument for it, then I'll give you a decision about the content. Whether the model is right or wrong, your argument for it is fundamentally flawed and incomplete at best.

Try describing it without the loaded language and I'll do my best to give you an answer.

If you can't do that, I'll go with E) You don't understand it, whether its logically whatever.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:52:25 pm by GlyphGryph »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 14, 2012, 04:52:52 pm »

None of those are accurate assessments of the situation, and I'm not planning on lying for you.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2012, 04:54:40 pm »

Ok. Then what is your assessment? Because at this point I'm trying to determine if the previous page is simply an argument over choice of terminology. If that's all it is...that doesn't really interest me enough to continue.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 14, 2012, 04:58:20 pm »

I'm not even sure what it would mean to "disagree" with a model, to be honest. A model is either accurate or not. An argument that is inaccurate in the given context doesn't mean I "disagree" with it, only with the idea that it reflects a given reality accurately.

I believe the model you've described is inaccurate at describing the reality we are discussing, yes. Within a limited context in a certain subset of reality (and stripped of the inaccurate terminology), it is possible it could be an effective model. But it is wholly inadequate for describing the general behaviour, making accurate general predictions, or revealing accurate general truths.

Thus, when applied to the "human romantic relationships", it is at best incomplete and as it stands generally worthless.

Does that accurately convey my assessment?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2012, 05:04:39 pm »

Curious coincidence of timing, then. You posted your PSA thread shortly after that other thread on a related topic was closed.

I also posted my PSA thread shortly after realizing I had a crush on someone commonly thought of as a bit of an asshole.  There will always be a thread with this discussion floating around the first couple pages of Life Advice on B12 =)  The latter was a meta-realization that led me to post rather than leave my findings private, it's true.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2012, 05:05:24 pm »

I'm not even sure what it would mean to "disagree" with a model,

I never asked if you "agreed" or "disagreed." I asked if you believe that you understand it.

Here is a link to the post where I asked. At no point did I ever use the word "agree" or "disagree."

EDIT: Ok, yes...upon closer second reading...I did use the word "disagree" at the end of option A. Ok. Nevertheless...the intent here is to determine whether there is belief in understanding. Agreement/disagreement is not the goal here, at this point. Please continue.

I believe the model you've described is inaccurate at describing the reality we are discussing, yes. Within a limited context in a certain subset of reality (and stripped of the inaccurate terminology), it is possible it could be an effective model. But it is wholly inadequate for describing the general behaviour, making accurate general predictions, or revealing accurate general truths.

Ok. So...you believe that is "inadequate." To make that assessment, it would be necessary for you to understand the model. So...you're saying that you do understand it? You might believe to to be inadequate, insufficient, not usefully predictive, etc. but you do understand it?

Yes?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43