Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44

Author Topic: BYOR 11 - Day 6: Game Over. Mafia Wins  (Read 104743 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 11 - Day 2: Take Me To Your Leader
« Reply #345 on: December 04, 2012, 04:01:19 pm »

Hapah:
That'd be nasty as hell, at least for me.
Hard to play the numbers when you can't trust them.
Why would you want to play the numbers?

Jack:
Everyone: How would each of you handle being King?  How would you decide who to vote for?  How much influence will the general public likely have over your lynch decision?
I'd vote Tiluy, I haven't built a case on him just to drop it and vote someone else. I'd only change my vote target if something exceedingly scummy happened.

Toaster: See my answer to Jack.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 04, 2012, 07:30:09 pm »

Toony:
I am not very confident how he played off Leafsnail D1 and today he's making an aggressive stance on a Mr. Celt lynch, possibly hoping to grab the nomination and fire away safely
Wait whut. 'Fire away safely'... unto whom?
Mr. Celt!  I shouldn't have used play on words.

Toony, Hapah, and Jack all seem reasonably townie enough so far.  I'd vote for them if a vote for Toaster didn't go anywhere.
Toaster
How did the quoted paragraph influence your vote?
Toaster posted and showed he was here, something that was lacking prior.  My timing with Toaster has been bad lately anyway.

Book, why did you choose to wait until the middle of D2 to claim your deathmillership?
I don't know maybe because he's lying and thought something up clever.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 04, 2012, 08:16:14 pm »

Book, why did you choose to wait until the middle of D2 to claim your deathmillership?
Why are you answering for him?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 04, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »

I've had a couple drinks post in the morning
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 05, 2012, 11:14:36 am »

Quote from: DS
Why would you want to play the numbers?
I always play the numbers.

Have Tylui and MrCelt posted today?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:57 am »

Exams are coming. Fucktastically busy, post tomorrow (or maybe later today, if I'm very lucky).

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:05 am »

Don't forget he claimed regular miller D1.  Why would a PGO claim miller?  If he wanted to drive away cops, that is potentially a townie fake claim, to protect cops from dying on him.
That is true, yes.  But if you assume Bookthras is scum it makes a bit more sense.  Having someone say "Hey, I'll flip non-town on death, but my flip won't have my death-miller ability, so please come and inspect me because it'll totally show up on inspect while I'm alive" gives me weird vibes.  Granted, having the ability causing death-millerness show up on the flip would kind of defeat the purpose, but it was more about the way he said it.

Dariush for president, if only to block Toaster from getting it, as he seems awfully buddy-buddy with ToonyMan and Jack A T.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 05, 2012, 01:31:24 pm »

PFP

Quote from: Shake
That is true, yes.  But if you assume Bookthras is scum it makes a bit more sense.  Having someone say "Hey, I'll flip non-town on death, but my flip won't have my death-miller ability, so please come and inspect me because it'll totally show up on inspect while I'm alive" gives me weird vibes.  Granted, having the ability causing death-millerness show up on the flip would kind of defeat the purpose, but it was more about the way he said it.
How else could he say it, though?

Hapah for Prez.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 05, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »

Why are you answering for him?
I'm not.  Are you going to explain why my reasoning for Urist Imik was scummy D1 or continue to active-lurk?

Don't forget he claimed regular miller D1.  Why would a PGO claim miller?  If he wanted to drive away cops, that is potentially a townie fake claim, to protect cops from dying on him.
Are you saying Bookthras is scum here?

Dariush for president, if only to block Toaster from getting it, as he seems awfully buddy-buddy with ToonyMan and Jack A T.
SHAKERAG IS BUDDYING WITH DARIUSH

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 05, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »

Shakerag:
Quote from: Bookthras
What happened in BYOR9?
Also seriously, Toaster's miller thing sucks. It's not entirely without merit, being a miller generally sucks, but it does not alleviate the sucking in any way or form.
So you do or do not stand by this old line of yours from BYOR9?  Because the way I was reading it, it seemed like you didn't care much for claiming miller first post (which you did in this game).
Of course I stand by it, I said so earlier. Your reading comprehension needs work. Here, I'll rephrase: being a miller generally sucks. Toaster's thing does not alleviate the sucking in any way. It's not without merit (i.e., it's a valid way to handle it) but the intrinsic suckness is undiminished, therefore it sucks as a way to reduce the sucking.

If you reread it carefully, you'll see it parses to the exact same meaning as
Quote from: me
Claiming first post is an interesting way to do it, though I still disagree with Toaster that it's the only correct play, or that second-post-or-later is in any way inferior or scummier than first-post. It's a valid way to handle it, though, and so I may choose it.

What do you think about my theory (posted earlier) of Leafsnail being some kind of specialized third-party hunter on the scumteam?  Also ... given Leafsnail's role name ... it's amusing that you're postulating a theory on (death-)miller-ness being heavily present in the game.  Almost like a conspiracy ...
There's not much of a theory there, all you said is "I ponder whether it's safe to assume we have a higher than average number of third-party roles in this game.  Or oh god we have a cult.  Or both." It's good that you ponder it. The theory of him being a "3rd-party hunter" is amusing, but mere speculation lacking additional information. A thing to keep in mind, but no indications of it being related to reality. As for the role name, at least it's marginally consistent with deathmillerness being a thing, which is more than I can say for mine.

But I don't know it's heavily present; I only know that I am one, and that Leaf's flip is townie enough for me to consider he may have also been one.

Toaster:
Book: Do you agree that death millers are one of the most anti-town roles there are?  What would more than one of them in a game say to you?
Yes, the existence of a death miller is a great boost for scum, a point I made to wuba when I got my role. The possible existence of more than one however was unexpected, and on reflection I think leads to diminishing returns for scum (i.e. it'd be better for them if there was only one than if there are several), as the chances of fooling town with the fake flip are reduced once people claim them or start expecting it. It stills sucks for town if they can't trust flips, though.

If you were elected King, what information would you deduce from the people that voted for you?  For your lynch target?
Hmmm... nothing directly for voting to elect or lynch me, I think. Scepticism is healthy. Voting to elect my lynch target would be a bit suspicious, though.

ToonyMan:
For clarity, in case it was misunderstood: Leafsnail was scummy, I thought he was scum D1 and said so. After his flip, what with it being very town-like, lack of other kills, and my knowledge of there being death-millers, I now no longer think he was scum after all, regardless of his scummy behaviour D1.
You can't say somebody is scummy and then go back and go "wait no he's scummy but not really actually scum you see", it seems blatantly like lying to me.
Of course you can, because you have additional information: his flip. Say it was a typical day where a townie is mislynched D1. D1 you may have think he was scum and voteworthy. D2, after seeing him flip town, you're perfectly justified to say "he was scummy, but I no longer think he was scum, since, duh, he flipped town". Perfectly kosher, yes?

In this case, Leaf didn't flip town, but his flip is townish enough that, in combination with my knowledge of there being death millers, I feel justified in no longer thinking he was scum, though I certainly thought he was during D1, before his flip.

Your ending here is also redirecting without even addressing my "death-miller" response.
Asking you questions and reminding you of pending ones is not redirecting, it's scummy of you to say it is. Plus I left nothing unanswered. If you mean this:

So you show up mafia on inspects and death?  Great.  We'll get the role-cops to inspect you tonight then!!  Bookthras.
I see no questions there, nor any way to address what is basically a sarcastic reiteration of exactly the same thing I said. If you have questions you'd like me to address, ask them.

Dariush:
I answered this already:
Quote from: me
In this case, since I had that extra bit of millerness I mentioned above, I figured claiming the first part soon was the right way to approach the situation, and claim the second if there was reason for it, or if I predicted I might get killed (so people would know not to trust my flip). Leafsnail's fishy flip qualifies as "reason for it".
I claimed it when I decided there was reason to claim it. If you are asking why not earlier in the day, I could hardly do that, since that was my first post of D2.

As far as the election is concerned, I'll throw my weight behind Toaster, who seems to be the saner choice around.

Wuba: please prod MrCelt and Tylui.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 05, 2012, 02:06:06 pm »

Hapah for Prez.
I don't think you're going to get a following Hapah.

ToonyMan:
For clarity, in case it was misunderstood: Leafsnail was scummy, I thought he was scum D1 and said so. After his flip, what with it being very town-like, lack of other kills, and my knowledge of there being death-millers, I now no longer think he was scum after all, regardless of his scummy behaviour D1.
You can't say somebody is scummy and then go back and go "wait no he's scummy but not really actually scum you see", it seems blatantly like lying to me.
Of course you can, because you have additional information: his flip. Say it was a typical day where a townie is mislynched D1. D1 you may have think he was scum and voteworthy. D2, after seeing him flip town, you're perfectly justified to say "he was scummy, but I no longer think he was scum, since, duh, he flipped town". Perfectly kosher, yes?
In this case, Leaf didn't flip town, but his flip is townish enough that, in combination with my knowledge of there being death millers, I feel justified in no longer thinking he was scum, though I certainly thought he was during D1, before his flip.
Hmmm so if my logic is sound:

Before Leaf is dead you think he's scum (this is true) -> then Leaf dies and flips mafia -> you think Leaf is town

This is ignoring the fact:
1. the King of Mafia didn't follow the golden rule of claiming miller D1 (something you even did)
2. you strongly felt Leafsnail should be lynched D2
3. Leaf flipped mafia

I don't see where you're getting this confidence from except that no town died N1 but even that is very weak considering no town died N1 of BYOR10 either.  Nobody answered my BYOR-related question early so I made the attempt of investigating myself.

Your ending here is also redirecting without even addressing my "death-miller" response.
Asking you questions and reminding you of pending ones is not redirecting, it's scummy of you to say it is. Plus I left nothing unanswered. If you mean this:
Pending?  You told me to make a top three scum list and answer other user's questions that I didn't even have time to ignore!  It felt like Tiruin scum chores to me (Tiruin scum chores - telling aggressors to do time consuming tasks in the hope of driving them away).

So you show up mafia on inspects and death?  Great.  We'll get the role-cops to inspect you tonight then!!  Bookthras.
I see no questions there, nor any way to address what is basically a sarcastic reiteration of exactly the same thing I said. If you have questions you'd like me to address, ask them.
Addressing does not equal answering.  I was noting the fact you didn't respond to my actual FoS statement.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 05, 2012, 03:15:30 pm »

What a coincidence I have finals too.  :P

I'm not.  Are you going to explain why my reasoning for Urist Imik was scummy D1 or continue to active-lurk?
You kinda are. I didn't say they were scummy, I said I didn't like them. Also are you proposing a lynch on Bookthras today?

Hmm... I don't see it.

Web: Can we get a votecount?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:53 pm »

Hmmm so if my logic is sound:

Before Leaf is dead you think he's scum (this is true) -> then Leaf dies and flips mafia -> you think Leaf is town
Your logic is not sound, as you leave key points out. This would be sound logic:

Before Leaf is dead I think he's scum -> then Leaf is nightkilled and flips mafia -> his flip however is a town-looking one -> I know death millers exist (since I am one) -> there were no other kills N1 -> I therefore think it's possible Leaf was also a death miller.

Since several of these are incontrovertible facts that have been mentioned before, I think your logic was intentionally faulty, to mislead and build up to the subsequent bullshit:

This is ignoring the fact:
1. the King of Mafia didn't follow the golden rule of claiming miller D1 (something you even did)
2. you strongly felt Leafsnail should be lynched D2
3. Leaf flipped mafia
This scummy bullshit. You are contorting yourself out of shape to bring up invented charges. See:

1. "Miller" and "death miller" are not the same thing nor call for identical strategies. I did not claim death miller D1 in any case, so I don't see how you can say I followed whatever invented rule you say. Plus this "golden rule" of which you speak I do not consider binding, nor do I know (or care) whether the King of the Mafia does. We have no indications of him being a normal (inspection) miller in any case, which is what your purported rule calls for. This point is invented bullshit and scummy.

2. Did I? where did I say that? But sure, had he survived I would have continued to press him D2, as I would have had no reasons to stop thinking he was scum, as I did D1 before his flip. This point is also bullshit since it ignores the additional pieces of information (lack of kills, townish flip), and scummy because it puts in my mouth words I did not say.

3. I did not "ignore the fact" that he flipped mafia, did I? On the contrary, I have mentioned it every time we have had this conversation. I merely consider it unreliable in context. Scummy because it's a lie.

Your attempt to build a bullshit case based on lies and (purposely?) faulty logic tells me you are likely scum.

I don't see where you're getting this confidence from except that no town died N1 but even that is very weak
Is it? I think it's pretty strong (though certainly not definitive). In your BYOR10 example, there were no deaths; here there were. If there are deaths, it is a reasonable assumption that a mafiakill was involved. Lets' break it down:

If there are no deaths, lucky protections/blocks are a likely interpretation. (though not the only one)

If there is only one kill and it's an actual mafia, then it'd need both the lucky protection/block and a non-mafia vigkill/SKkill, or a lucky reflection/redirection of some sort. Certainly not impossible, but the likelyhood of a straight mafiakill on someone who happened to be a deathmiller seems at least equally plausible.

Addressing does not equal answering.  I was noting the fact you didn't respond to my actual FoS statement.
There was nothing to respond to. You are free to FoS whoever you want, and FoSing someone who claims death miller is reasonable (scepticism is healthy). I don't need to "address" every paragraph that comes out of your mouth. For example, you say in an unaddressed paragraph how my questions made you feel; I don't care about your feelings. If there is something that you actually want me to address, kindly phrase it in the form of a non-redundant question.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 05, 2012, 04:20:32 pm »

Shakerag:

Even making that assumption, I don't see it.  Why drive away attention on D1 to try to attract on D2 a role that often doesn't exist?  Seems pointless.

Assuming this is because I said they were townie enough, why do you not say I'm buddying with Hapah?  Why is this relevant anyway?  We're trying to get town kinged today.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 05, 2012, 04:36:51 pm »

PFP

Hapah for Prez.
I don't think you're going to get a following Hapah.
Ron Paul still runs. If he can run, I can run!

On a more serious note, seeing how as we have a 3-3 tie (can someone confirm that? Last thing I want to do is screw up the vote again), I'll put my vote in for Toaster. to be despot-for-a-day. Please let me know if I screwed up the vote.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44