Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Loyalists (Led by Pan)
The Revolutionaries (Led by Grimnir)
The Radicals (Led by Brewster)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Hammerscar - Politics, rebellion and war.  (Read 49729 times)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Hammerscar - Politics, rebellion and war.
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:14 am »

Grimnir's squad is alright I guess. Doesn't really matter to me which squad I go on.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:35 am »

Grimnir's squad is alright I guess. Doesn't really matter to me which squad I go on.

Oh, it matters!
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:11 am »

Like whether you're neutral or not
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2012, 08:43:37 am »

Again, it can be either one. Might be best to be the one that sees the most fighting. But if it is really required of me then i'll stick with Grimnir's squad cause he has the word Grim in his name.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2012, 03:16:05 pm »

Entry Five
Felsite

A Blackdiamond stood on the walls, hailing in the elven merchants. Pan noticed that the courtyard was suddenly a blaze of activity. Civilians ran underground, out of the killing field. Gavakis' squad, who were patrolling rushed into a guard tower, in ambush. Pan also noticed Reaver with Nix and Nav in tow, joining the group. Pan rushed into the guard tower and confronted Reaver.

“What are you doing?” Pan exploded on him in a corner, out of earshot. The other soldiers paid them curious looks, Gavakis folding his arms. “I thought we had an agreement!”

“Piss off, merchant.” Reaver crossed his arms. “Grimnir’s orders.”

Pan wanted to scream and tear his beard. Who were his friends of late? Pan had almost overlooked the fact that Grimnir’s Manifesto drew the line at elves. Pan tried to rush back out, but Reaver grabbed him.

'Stay here. You don't want to be caught out.'

The shooting had already begun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fields were watered well that day.

Hematite

Who were his friends of late? Pan pondered repeatedly. He brooded at his desk, feet tapping on the floor hatch. Not Grimnir. No, Pan had realized once again that his alliance with the radical was purely out of necessity. While he had not been at the slaughter that had happened days past, Grimnir had later acted glad, glad of the murder of innocents. He had even given a short speech, although Pan had not attended.

Who were his friends of late? Brewster had raised him up to Overseer, but to act under his orders. Pan supposed other than the personal insult to dwarven honor, there was no reason why Brewster and he cannot be friends. After all, Brewster’s mandates had been surprisingly lenient and sensible, especially putting off the central Tower for a safer time.

No, that isn’t all… Brewster was a radical, and worse, he was one who was uncontrolled and insatiable, hungry for blood. A common hill dwarf, raised without the proper etiquette, to a place of power, who would abuse such rights to sate that hunger. He would forcibly sign Pan into a pact of mutual destruction, and worse of all Pan would be the head of it.

Oh, is that it? The little voice in Pan’s head spoke up, sardonic. This is all for reputation? Scared of the King’s retribution? Typical of a noble.

Was it?

No, that’s not all.

Brewster’s fire… it burned and spread. Grimnir was a radical, but Brewster an uncontrolled radical. Grimnir at least could be made to see reason, albeit to a certain extent. Grimnir also had vision, while Brewster was a dog up-jumped his place in the order of the world, shortsighted and blind to anything that wasn’t a short term issue. While a dog led his pack and did fine killing work, a dwarf feeds him scraps under the table, not on the high bench by the salt. And this, Pan reminded himself, was why he had allied with Grimnir.

Indeed, Pan could find holes in many of Brewster’s policies. For instance, the Bronze Route patrols organized in Brewster’s reign, which navigated OUTSIDE the arable compound perimeters, had been unchanged. Pan’s letter to Blackdiamond (Pan tried to keep physical contact with Brewster to a minimum) had gone unanswered, and Gavakis’ squad, who had renamed themselves ‘Chzo’s Wraiths’, had continued these dangerous patrols. Pan wasn’t sure what their squad name stood for, but they would certainly be nothing more than wraiths if Brewster’s orders were to continue. Pan’s visit to Gavakis had been unfruitful, who said they were military orders, although Gavakis himself is rather frustrated being forced to patrol outside the walls. He voiced the thought that Blackdiamond may be trying to use them as bait to draw out ambushers. Pan had voiced an agreement and promised to do what he could.

“Everything alright?” Lorbam peeked in through the door. Pan could see his cold, fish-like eyes. A slot on Pan’s door had been inserted of late. For mail.

Pan nodded at him… deliberately yawned and walked to the bed. Pan felt Lorbam’s eyes leave his back. Pan puffed up the pillows and arranged it in a dwarf’s shape before covering it. He put on a pig tail cloak and outfit. Good thing that cavern pig tail farm came along, he thought on hindsight.

Tirion pretended not to see him as he climbed out the hatch, dressed as a commoner. Good man.

Walking freely without a shadow relaxed Pan’s overworked brain. He took a visual of the entire fortress.

[OOC: Screens coming soon]

In the main dining hall, a young dwarf recognized Pan, but only said so up close to Pan. Impressed by the young dwarf’s support, Pan struck a conversation with him. Surprisingly, he was an administrator’s assistant, and he was young. Barely sixteen winters old, of the name Scruffy. He had came here with a young man’s adventurous spirit after hearing rumors of a revolution, but instead found himself here without a job. Pan offered him as his scribe, and an office of his own, an offer accepted. Pan liked the fellow, and could use some help. Pan told him to report to his office tomorrow.

‘I thought I’d never find you alone,’ a dwarf said behind him, as Pan walked out of the blacksmith district. Was he that recognizable? Pan sighed and turned around to face him. It was a dwarf in farmer clothes, surprisingly. ‘You appear to have lost the ‘bodyguard’, and some of your fine garb, my lord.’ He chuckled.
In the Mountainhomes, it was not uncommon to hear ‘my lord’ from a decent dwarf. In Hammerscar, things were different. Pan was surprised, and replied in good humor.

‘I like getting in touch with more humble settings. Even after elections, you might be surprised to know.’

The other dwarf smiled as Pan chuckled at his own joke. ‘Indeed, I am my lord, especially given the current… state of affairs.’ The dwarf got serious. ‘But things change.’

Pan feels this is a familiar scene. He didn’t miss a beat this time.

‘You work for the Mountainhomes, do you not.’ Pan said, almost certain. ‘I would know your name.

‘Indeed. And I’m under beliefs and orders that we’re on the same side, too, my lord. I had my doubts, though, given your lack of attempt to seek me out. My name, as it stated, is Alfred. Formerly, lieutenant Alfred. Why, my lord, have you not seeked me out? I’ve been elf farming for more than half a year now!’ He chuckled.

Pan realized that reading the Crown’s letter before burning it, while less symbolic, might have been more sensible. And symbolism means little, especially since Pan realizes his alliance with Grimnir has an expiration date. The letter must have contained orders and instructions, and to seek out an agent. Pan wasn’t going to let that bother him, though. He had no lack of excuses.

‘You’ve been here quite awhile. You know the state of affairs.’ Pan said, quite pleased for once at Lorbam (the Blackdiamond). As he talked, they walked into a nearby, empty wood burning room. ‘Blackdiamond trails me all day, and this is the few alone hours I allow myself. However, you see their power here. There is nothing I can do. Hammerscar loves Brewster (mostly) and respects Grimnir. Overseers like me come and go, glorified accountants. I have no support here.’

‘Well, much has changed. You have the Mountainhome’s support, now.’

The farmer crossed his arms and took a seat on a log. He looked about for prying ears and lowered his voice even further.

‘Hammerscar is a hotspot, my lord. It’s existence is a threat to the Crown’s safety. The Mountainhomes is a powder keg, and Hammerscar might just be the flint to strike it apart. The latest harvest has failed, and common dwarf tighten their belts while the nobility exports crucial grain reserves to purchase the luxuries they seek. Opposition are suppressed with beatings, lockups and hammerings, even, as mandate violators. It is true, violations of mandates dates back to be taboo, but it changes nothing and tensions rise. The military dwarf grows tired of peace and bowing and scraping, and are restless from rust and boredom.

Then, your friend Grimnir comes to court, his appeal drawing the applause and admiration of every dwarf in the Mountainhome’s great listening hall. How can the nobles reject that? Their wish was that your group would perish in founding, but you have prospered and grown into an undeveloped tumor. Hammerscar’s existence draws thoughts of rebellion in the open, but as much as the Crown would wish to stamp out this blemish, heavy popular support and nobles currying favor with the plebians alone stops the Crown taking public action. ’

‘Then why not keep it this way? Let the plebians talk, it means nothing to the high lords. It never has, and they never cared. Why now? Why not keep it this way?’

‘Perhaps. Our instructions on the letter, you may recall, states we are to observe and act accordingly, with you under my advice. And we would have kept it this way, had Hammerscar behaved, we were willing to tolerate Grimnir’s blemish on the map.’

The dwarf spat angrily at this point. Pan can see where this is going.

‘However, your friend, the Blackdiamonds, have wiped out three caravans of late. Three caravans, bearing trade rights and goods ordered by the nobility, have disappeared on the map, last known location heading to Hammerscar. The open act of treason aside, which while the nobility had not declared, the rumor of such brave and mighty opposition stirs up the plebians even further. Not everyone likes the humans, and many believe elves on the level of the greenskins. The Crown can quash a rebellion of unwashed plebians, that’s true. But the military are among those unsympathetic to elves. And either way, whoever wins in a coup or rebellion, there will be blood on the streets and a big white banner of weakness to our ‘allies’ and enemies alike.’

‘The Blackdiamonds’ lack of foresight will doom us all.’ Pan lamented… truly Brewster was a fool. ‘But Lt, you can see. I have no power, and Grimnir’s squad cannot hope to best the Blackdiamonds in open fighting. And as you know, infighting in the Crown’s colonies will make all of the Empire laughingstock. But the Blackdiamonds cannot be dismissed. Other than their support, the citizen will angrily question why we have dismissed our top defensive force.’

‘Indeed. The Crown is quite trapped here, in my last letter. They cannot disown us, they cannot instill open rebellion amongst us. Our best hope is to cut the head of the snake off quietly, and leaves some parts of Blackdiamond intact for the protection they secure. These Blackdiamonds... baseborn churls at the hands of a mad baseborn churl. Leaderless, and when Hammerscar grows out their jurisdiction, they can be easily repla-’

Footsteps were heard. Blackdiamond patrol approaches.

‘It seemed we must talk another day, my lord.’ Alred sighed.

‘I look forward to that day’s arrival, Lt.’

‘Don’t flatter me.’ Alfred chuckled ‘Here I am but a farmer. At least the dirt washes off easier than blood. Oh, heh, that soldier saying isn’t what it used to be. Soldiers in general aren't. Good day.’ He chuckled and left.

What the? There was a door he had never entered, situated beneath the fortress levels. Pan supposed this must be a prison. Well, no harm in visiting what may very well be a future home. Pan opened the door, the stairway torch light infiltrating the darkness. Pan picked up the torch and wove it around in the room.

A pair of eyes glinted and observed him, behind sturdy bars.

So this is where they kept the vampire. Pan thought, without a trace of fear, strangely.

‘Greetings.’ He greeted the abomination. ‘What is your name, friend.’

‘Olon.’ It replied. ‘But if that’s too much a mouthful, you can go with Oddmask.’ He laughed.

A funny devil, he was. Pan took a seat by a chair. ‘How’d you come up with that?’

Because hes always wearing a mask. Why? Its stylish of course.

Also.. hes a psychopathic serial killer whom's victims are those that are enemies to the fortress. He wants to be productive in his killing, at least.

By the time he retired to his cell, he realized he wasn’t lacking friends at all. Who were his friends of late?

Phew. That took awhile.

Oddmask, hope you don't mind being the vampire. It fits the theme too much, you see
:D

And Scruffy, you're my assistant. Just so I can sniff disdainfully at people, speak in a French accent, and say 'Come, Scruffy' while walking snobbishly out of art galleries.

Speech hall is done, by the way. Please make some noise (party people). Grimnir, you're obligated to put up a speech now, by the way  :D

I'll post screens later of the entire fort. 4am here.. time to sleep.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:27:57 pm by Pan »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:15 pm »

What is my dwarf? A passing acquitance? Do you have any grudges? That would be interesting :P
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2012, 03:45:38 pm »

Pan hates a random gardener. And you're just a passing acquaintance. Brewster is a friend (which I choose not to incorporate), and Grimnir is a long-term acquaintance.

The vamp and the Lt, I used Paint and arranged screenshots together. But I'll use burrows to make sure they become friends soon enough, in case anyone is picky.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2012, 04:08:52 pm »

The Fourth of Cuts

The first cut was the founding of this fortress. While superficial, I swear to you they could feel it, and while they might have been doused to such a degree, that they could safely forget it in the heavy fumes of elven perfume, by the morning, they could see the blood through the silk, and they were frightened.

But they dismissed Hammerscar, and comforted themselves.

The second cut was when you left to join me - they felt their powers bleeding from them, and they were forced to see into the eyes of a painful truth. But they had forgotten what a war and a battle is like, and they hid under their sheets, hoping that someone else would put out the roaring fire.

But those they count on to do their work, spit on them, and threw timber on the funeral pyre. YOU did, and YOU came here! To Hammerscar! Our land! Our pillar!

The third cut, was when the farce of our alliance with the elves were finally broken, cut down as the abomination it is, the unatural truce of hatred and wooden earrings, silk, perfume, silly little forest animals to dance for the goldclad noble who has forgotten what earth tastes like, and how blood smells! WE cut the third cut, and as the corpseeaters of the darkest, most foul woods fled our axes, no one could ignore the sea of perfumed blood running from the "king".

So now, they come to mock us with their diplomats, and their politics, and their words? They threathen us with the legion, with embargoes and words?

Do we needs their words? Do we need the wooden armour the elves come bearing? How long since the Legion has fought anything besides kobolds, and when did they do so without a wall, on which they can sit and linger, drinking elven wine and eating valley herbs?

I tell you: There's a fourth cut waiting, and a fifth, a sixth and a seventh! Nay, there's A THOUSAND CUTS WAITING! for them, that put themselves up against Hammerscar, thosue that puts themselves up AGAINST A THOUSAND VOICES, SILENCED FOR A HUNDRED YEARS, BUT NOW RISING UP IN UNISON!

It is a bloody song you have to come to sing with me, brothers and sisters, and while the blood can seem endless, remember to only cut who deserves it most. Your thirst shall be satisfied, but do not fall victim to it, like a vampire - do not bleed out everything. Spare your wrath for those who deserve it, the usurpers and the tyrants, enemies of old, and let that anger be a whetstone for the sword of Hammerscar. Keep your whetstone sharp and focused, for Hammerstone has many cuts left cause. A thousand cuts, my friends, a thousand cuts in UNISON! In BROTHERHOOD! In FREEDOM!

Behold, I am Grimnir, founder of Hammerscar, first of overseers! Behold, I am a Dwarf, cititzen of the free tower, farmer, brewer and warrior! Stood I alone would I fall, but on the right stands a dwarf who I would die for, and on my left stands a dwarf who I would die for! We are the voice of Hammerscar, the forgotten, those who remembers!

A THOUSAND CUTS AND A THOUSAND VOICES! HAIL HAMMERSCAR!

OOC:

Great update Pan, but this is getting really convuluted. Can we make a list of the various alliances and so on? Tirion, I believe Tirion and Grimnir are allies and friends?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:11:11 pm by AustralianWinter »
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2012, 04:42:13 pm »

Indeed they are :) Tirion deeply respects Grimnir, he grew up listening to the tales of his war veteran father who was in Grimnir's squad in the Goblin War. And I hope my dwarf has no grudges, he has no reason so far.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

shali8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2012, 04:42:49 pm »

To my noble father,

I have been talking with other dwarves here. The story of the gruesome murder of a human caravan is true. This place is different than the Mountainhomes; and I believe that is the vision of the founder. To become distinct from the political pandering of the royal courts. Here, the politics are anything but subtle. Here, the words of those in command are just as dangerous as the beasts that dwell in the depths. I do agree that, to be separate from the Mountainhomes is better than to live in them. But the slaughter of humans is to invite violent anarchy. I must learn more about the event. Grimnir- the founder of Hammerscar- does not seem to be the one responsible for the death of the humans. If he is responsible; I may have to return. If he is responsible; I see no future for this place but destruction.

Your Son,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Artimaus
If the majority is insane, the sane must will go to the hospital - Horace Mann Urist McDoctordwarf

The neurotic builds castles in the sky. The psychotic lives in them. The psychiatrist collects the rent - Anonymous

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »

Well-written as usual, Pan.

I would like to be dwarfed.

Name: Shinn
Profession: Mechanic/Crossbowsdwarf
Skills: Train him up to skilled, then remove him from the military. Afterwards, he's a mechanic.
Oh, and Shinn is on Pan's side, simply because Pan is seemingly the most sane.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2012, 10:07:56 pm »

Skills: Train him up to skilled, then remove him from the military. Afterwards, he's a mechanic.

That's an interesting point of view. Have you read the whole story, or just the recent updates by Pan?

EDIT: Hammerscar is a house of revolutionaries. Pan's folk are loyalists. Loyalists are not really welcome in Hammerscar, so most of them are conflicted or undercover.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2012, 10:14:55 pm »

That's an interesting point of view. Have you read the whole story, or just the recent updates by Pan?

EDIT: Hammerscar is a house of revolutionaries. Pan's folk are loyalists. Loyalists are not really welcome in Hammerscar, so most of them are conflicted or undercover.
I read the entire story. From what I've read, Pan is the most sane.
Edit: In that case, Shinn is a loyalist
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:35:47 pm by Kalemyr Skyfire »

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2012, 10:32:31 pm »

The Factions of Hammerscar

The Loyalists

The loyalists are not blind to the weaknesses and troubles of the Dwarven Empire, but they trusts in it none-the-less, and believe that revolution and war is not the answer to the current schism. The Mountainhomes are of course the bastion of this opinion, and anyone openly expressing this viewpoint would be a fool to come to Hammerscar, a place that has openly declared its defiance of the Crown. In Hammerscar, this faction is led by Pan, a noble, who, while conflicted, still disagrees with the slaughter of the elves and the humans under Brewster. The Loyalist do not speak their minds. They bide their time and wait.

The Revolutionaries

Grimnir is disgruntled with the social unjustice and inequality in the Mountainhomes. His heart beats for the oppressed and the forgotten. But he is also a soldier, and while he served outstandingly in the Imperial Legion during the Goblin Wars, he grew embittered and disillusioned with the trade agreements and alliance the Crown established with the elves, an age-old enemy of the Dwarven People. Hammerscar is his vision and creation, and shile he is far from the tyrant or leader of the place, it is Grimnir's name the workers in the Mountainhomes whisper to one another.

The Radicals

Grimnir's ideas hold sway with the common dwarves. Some of them even take them too far. When the humans showed up at Hammerscar - a traditional ally of the dwarves - the current ruler, Brewster, ordered the execution of the traders, who were shot down in cold blood. This outraged Grimnir (and of course the loyalists, but that goes without saying), who was disgusted at what he perceived as uneccesary bloodshed, but Brewster is powerful in Hammerscar, and his brand of Dwarven Nationalism is even tougher than Grimnir's. Behind him is the Blackdiamond, an elite force of Markdwarves, who have defended Hammerscar on numorous occasions. The Blackdiamons are not only respected - they are loved. Brewster is willstrong and a man of action, and the common dwarves see in Brewster a fire and a conviction that rivals Grimnir's - if it is not stronger.

At this time, the Blackdiamon and Brewster are the true lords of Hammerscar.

If anyone considers their character part of somewhere else than where I've put you, or if I've forgotten anyone who's not neutral, don't hesitate to tell me!

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense for that to be in the first post?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35