Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Loyalists (Led by Pan)
The Revolutionaries (Led by Grimnir)
The Radicals (Led by Brewster)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Hammerscar - Politics, rebellion and war.  (Read 49677 times)

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Hammerscar - Politics, rebellion and war.
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2012, 06:22:11 pm »

Can I get that dorfing of a Siege Mechanic named 'Husk'?

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »

Wow, sorry guys. I havent payed much attention, school has been busy lately. Ill post my charicter here.

When Gavakis was born, his mother died, not from birth, but by his abusive father, he beat her, and beat her...
Until she died, in front of you. He blamed you for weakening her.
His father would beat him, hardening him, and the loss of a mother would torment him further, into a shell.
His father did not care, at all, untill one day... Not just a day, but his birthday.
His father forgot, and even if he did, he would not care.
When Gavakis, only 11 years old, soon to be an adult, murdered his father in cold blood, and ran.
On his way, to somewhere different, he had to fend for himself in the woods, eating raw meat from wolves, and other
vicous creatures. By the time he got to civilzation, he was 15. A cold, sad man, driven to hardship. He was ready to die at that point.
He nearly died out there, the wolves get hungry. He was brought in by a elderly woman, raised back to health.
Gavakis did not understand how someone could be that nice, or caring. He realised the world was not such a bad place...
He migrated into the place he woke up, a new chance... But by then he was scarred from the past, and was forged into a warrior,
He does not feel as much as he should, he care's on the inside, but does not show it, for fear of weakness and further torment.. He is proud to be a part of a new expedition, he will make a difference, he hopes.
Death does not look for him, he looks for it.

EDIT: Typo's and wanted to edit it further.

TL:DR
Gavakis was beaten by father, killed him, ran away, got lost, turned 15, became a fighter, raised back to health, now this. DA END.

I mean, it is supposed to be a grim fortress, yah?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:50:45 pm by Gavakis »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:09 pm »

Sure, Husk will be dorfed if one comes along. Should I wait for an actual siege engineer to show up, or make you one from a random dwarf?

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2012, 10:10:17 pm »

Gavakis was beaten by father, killed him, ran away, got lost, turned 15, became a fighter, raised back to health, now this. DA END.

Well yeah. Doesn't mean you have to have horrible traumatic backstories and dead parents by default. Not that it's a problem, honestly. Also, did you catch that Gavakis leads a 10-man squad, meaning he has quite a bit of power in the struggle?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2012, 12:22:39 am »

Sure, Husk will be dorfed if one comes along. Should I wait for an actual siege engineer to show up, or make you one from a random dwarf?
I can either be a brewer or a siege mech, whichever comes first.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2012, 04:48:15 am »

Well yeah. Doesn't mean you have to have horrible traumatic backstories and dead parents by default. Not that it's a problem, honestly. Also, did you catch that Gavakis leads a 10-man squad, meaning he has quite a bit of power in the struggle?

Aye, I sent him a pm and told him all about it, actually. Thanks for responding, Gav'ner!

I can either be a brewer or a siege mech, whichever comes first.

Well, neither showed up. So I guess I'll wait? Or train one up from scratch?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:44:16 am by Pan »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2012, 06:42:46 am »

Entry Three
Slate

The first of the Blackdiamond mandate wasted no time in rearing its ugly head. Pan’s Blackdiamond watchdog, Lorbam, is a skinny, balding dwarf with a face sharp as an axe and expression of perpetual disapproval. She was also one of the human killers. Pan noticed her brass eyes are expressionless and cold.

‘Overseer Pan,’ she stated formally, unlike the other young radicals that Hammerscar has drawn, but nevertheless just as biting. ‘Captain Brewster has issued a suggestion he feels you will most likely find helpful.’ She slipped a piece of paper on his desk, then walked out the room to attend to her station, to protect Pan from sudden goblin hordes or other attackers deep within the fortress. Pan knows she is here to report on his visitors and movements.

Pan nodded quietly at her as she left. It would do no good to argue with this one, nor her superior, and so he took it and opened it. The letter was unsealed but dirty and rough, vaguely reminding Pan that planting pig tails or rope reeds would be practical. Perhaps the farms could be started, the seeds procured with the next spring massacre windfall, he mused darkly to himself. He read the note.

The note read that Brewster ‘suggests’ a massive militarization of the lands of Hammerscar. A central tower and the fortifications of the arable farmland’s curtain wall. Also, bolts must be produced and delivered to these fortification sites to allow for easy access. The suggestion suggests an optional time of completion of this project: Mid-Summer. Of course, Pan knew it's not optional.

So, more glory and benefits to the Blackdiamonds, that was plain to see. Perhaps Brewster was beginning to see the human and elven vengeance that would soon be upon them. The tower would provide the security and allow the killings to continue. Brewster claims to follow Grimnir’s manifesto: a tower. Does Brewster wants a glorified marksdwarf tower to be the central pillar of Hammerscar, where he can gaze down on the bones of former friends and foes alike? The skull throne of the Blackdiamonds? Avarice and madness, and Pan had been forcibly married into it.

Pan sighed and remembered his meeting with Grimnir, the day after the killings of the humans occurred. They had discussed the possibility of open infighting, something Pan was staunchly against. The Blackdiamonds hold the most power, and best command of equipment, and they possess the skill at arms and power. Pan’s very appointment is a result of Blackdiamond maneuvering. Reaver’s and Grimnir’s axes are no match for Brewster’s Blackdiamonds. Uncomfortable as it is, honor and integrity are poor substitute for prepared crossbow fire. Gavakis’ squad of recruits, The Rooms of Treasure, was of uncertain loyalty and would break at first contact of a stiff breeze, much less when the Blackdiamonds fart in their general direction. Gavakis himself is a skilled fighter, however.

Ever since he had been appointed the Overseer in the Granite 1st New Year (his meeting with Grimnir had been some time before that, he reminded himself), he had no longer been able to plot with Grimnir. The Blackdiamond marched and followed him everywhere.

Pan had heard, however, of the Laborious’ Skins’ current grudge with the Blackdiamonds. The animosity between Blackdiamond and Laborious Skins were evident, and Pan assumed Grimnir had seen fit to rile his recruits up with a speech. On one hand, Pan was pleased to have Grimnir on his side. Much of the people were here by his example, and his ideas inspires.

On the other, he was escalating tensions, and while no Blackdiamond will publicly touch Grimnir, a skirmish involving the Blackdiamonds and Laborious Skins and some third party would easily be the ‘accidental’ or 'heroic' death of Grimnir. Anything could happen. Pan preferred a diplomatic way of disbanding the Blackdiamond and Brewster of their command.

Of course, he was denied the opportunity of planning it with Grimnir when he acquired a pet Blackdiamond.

As Overseer, Pan felt he was entitled to a much wider range of acquaintances and contacts.
A big, hairy miner, who engraves in his spare time, of the name of Artimaus recently reported to have struck into the caverns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

‘Might be time we incorporated some real, dwarven diet of cavern grown ‘elmets and tails.’ (Helmets and tails is a traditional dwarven dish of plump helmets, meat of whatever kind, and a brew of pig tail stout.) He spat and complained. ‘We here the most dwarven nation of the land, and we live on elf bulbs and human grass, watered with elves and humans.’ He chuckled amiably.

A dwarf of the name of Sloth also raised an issue, surprisingly. He complained of the boredom and stiffness of herbalism, and asked for a more important job, where he can work his strength up and eventually join the military to fight in Grimnir’s name. Pan admired such industry, and issued him a pick, despite Sloth’s protests to be assigned a pump.

Other civilian complaints was the lack of a statue garden. The children of the fortress are amiable and throw parties in the communal hall all year long, under the supervision of a churl of the name of Erib, who has no skills and spends his day hauling occasionally, partying with the children and chugging alcohol.

Towards the end of spring, a band of thieves attempted to enter the fortress. Some were captured, some escaped. Public outcry was raised after an engraver was slashed by a goblin thief, and Blackdiamonds promises to step up their patrols. Cage trap numbers were raised, and the Blackdiamonds procured large amounts of target practice.

A Blackdiamond also fails to shoot a sprinting goblin. Through Brewster’s suggestions, Pan issued watchtowers to be raised throughout the area to increase accuracy and defenses, reinforcing the already fortified curtain wall. One would guard the western area while the eastern watchtower overlooks the entrance and brook cliff.

Grimnir visited, the day before late-spring arrived, and it was a very formal, and closely watched, meeting. Grimnir, Tirion and Nav, accompanied by a Blackdiamond walked into Pan’s cramped quarter/office. The room was barely enough, and they stood, close as brined cave fish, as Grimnir raised an issue.

A speaker’s hall, where every dwarf may speak his mind so long as he had the stones to. A grand, decorated meeting hall where those liberated may speak freely.  Grimnir gestured at Tirion, who handed Pan the design. The Blackdiamond inspected the design closely.

‘I’ll get right to it.’

The Blackdiamond ignored the coordinates written, having no mind for it. He also did not realize Tirion was a mechanic and genius of numbers, not of architecture. But commoners often do find it difficult to differentiate such noble trifles.
 Tirion had spelled something else in the construction coordinates.

Liberation and freedom of speech indeed.

Underwhelming and not worth the wait. Not much happened the first month. But it's Thursday night here, and I'll be able to crank out updates like nobody's business on Friday night and the weekend.

The underground passage will allow Pan to meet with Grimnir and stuff to discuss revolution and stuff.  :) Sneaky sneaky.

So now, I'll be starting construction of a tower in the middle of the map. Savescummed playthroughs have shown this is hard, and goblins tend to ambush. So be it, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:55:39 am by Pan »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2012, 07:35:33 am »

Nice update. Little upset Blackdiamond didn't kill one f*#!ing goblin though.
Yeah I don't agree with 'save scumming' let the game tell the story too.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2012, 07:45:19 am »

Great update Pan - the story really took off when you got involved, and it shows. I'll write an update as soon as I'm done with todays schoolwork - if there's time, at any rate.

Hammerscar endures.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2012, 07:56:17 am »

Nice update. Little upset Blackdiamond didn't kill one f*#!ing goblin though.
Yeah I don't agree with 'save scumming' let the game tell the story too.

Eh, it's the beginning of Slate. Give it time. You'll headshot plenty of things.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2012, 08:03:25 am »

Just an idea (stolen from Game of Thrones) take it or leave it.
If Brewster has to be trailed for his acts against the humans either under Pan's rule, Nav's or whoever, that he has a trial of combat and of course he gets to choose his champion and the Leader chooses theirs and we set-up a fight in Arena Mode. If Brewster's champion wins he's given amnesty, if he loses then jail? death? who knows.

This might be jumping the gun since half the fortress doesn't think Brewster committed a crime, while the other half seems to think so. So not sure if it would deserve a trial but it's just a cool thought I had to use Arena Mode.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2012, 08:15:09 am »

Eerrm, Sorry. Dident catch what you meant, trying to start out my rp. Just do whatever you want with him, for the fortress., he will probably  be dead by the time I get too it, but yeah. Make him a honorable warrior.
He is also for the war against elves. (as usual :3)

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:08 am »

Eerrm, Sorry. Dident catch what you meant, trying to start out my rp. Just do whatever you want with him, for the fortress., he will probably  be dead by the time I get too it, but yeah. Make him a honorable warrior.

It's no biggie man, Roleplay exactly as you want to - it's just that you don't have to live in utter darkness and despair - regular people are plenty dark already, really. It will be really interesting what side Gavakis takes in the power struggle.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2012, 08:32:55 am »

It's no biggie man, Roleplay exactly as you want to - it's just that you don't have to live in utter darkness and despair - regular people are plenty dark already, really. It will be really interesting what side Gavakis takes in the power struggle.
I think that Gavakis will do best, but he does give in, at one point. Also, Trion can you show me the thought sheet and skills of Gavakis?
But, for a side, he will goes about bluntly, not being taught as a child, just learning from the wild. So... yeah. Just do whats right with him.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:43:53 pm by Gavakis »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2012, 09:15:58 am »

Just an idea (stolen from Game of Thrones) take it or leave it.
If Brewster has to be trailed for his acts against the humans either under Pan's rule, Nav's or whoever, that he has a trial of combat and of course he gets to choose his champion and the Leader chooses theirs and we set-up a fight in Arena Mode. If Brewster's champion wins he's given amnesty, if he loses then jail? death? who knows.

This might be jumping the gun since half the fortress doesn't think Brewster committed a crime, while the other half seems to think so. So not sure if it would deserve a trial but it's just a cool thought I had to use Arena Mode.

Hm, good idea with using Arena mode... I admit I have not thought of that option. But a trial is something only, say, a baron or something can do. Otherwise we must broach the subject with the caravan, who will go back and deliver the word, and then come back again next year. In Game of Thrones, a trial by combat is official business. It's deemed to be in sight of the gods, so not something some peasants and their constable can enact. I feel a trial here would be sort of the same issue, and we'll need a higher authority before we are entitled to a trial. Right now, to the Mountainhomes, we're just peasants.

That's my thoughts on it, anyway. But hey, that idea can definitely be implemented some other time when we're bigger and influential.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35