Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79944 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2014, 01:04:33 pm »

Holy crap. Just tried this for the first time and it's a little overwhelming. I have no idea what the voting and whatnot is all about, even with the help on the right side of the screen. It asked me if I wanted to vote "for" or "against" some motion or other so I just picked at random, having no idea what was going on with that. I guess this is more of a management game than an adventuring game? I feel like I'd need a serious tutorial, or a manual to read, before I'd really feel comfortable with it.

However, I do like the overall vibe of it. I'll just have to put in some time trying to understand what I'm supposed to do.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »

So been playing the game for two days, and been really enjoying it.

If a relic is in a territory when it gets destroyed, its suppose to resurface eventually right? Cause I just collected all the available relic pieces but nothing is happening, so I guess that means that there was a relic piece in a territory that got destroyed?

Also, how do you control lobbies in order to pass the emperor vote?

*edit*
Went and read the description on lobbies more closely

*edit no 2*
Just lost due to pop loss, do you have to successfully research every relic piece to get a relic victory?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:06:40 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2014, 01:46:53 pm »

Alright, after toying around with this for the last six or seven hours, on both the Governor and Adventurer (and once on Outcast) starts, I'm really enjoying it so far. Governing is definitely the easiest start (as advertised).

I also think combat as a whole works pretty well. In my experience, it's usually skewed heavily towards one side or the other, but still. This is especially noticeable (and hilarious) if you luck out and can recruit a Thing In the Scarecrow or something similar for cheap, and they make warships wet their pants then two-shot them.

And for Outcasts, I'm kind of disappointed that it looks like you're confined to a singular territory until you amass enough money for a shelter, rather than going from place to place like I thought it said.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:49:15 pm by Krath »
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2014, 01:56:19 pm »

This game needs more visual description slots for the main character. Peg legs, feline eyes, and a mad grin shouldn't all be incompatible!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2014, 03:47:39 pm »

First time i got this kind of error message.

Was playing an influenced adventurer (something boar-like apparently) and explored a territory, got in without fight and decided to fend off some towering beasts that were guarding a swashbucker or something like that , then after i decided to ignore the following error message , the game crashed to desktop :
Code: [Select]
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 10487, in script call
  File "game/script.rpy", line 19331, in script call
  File "game/script.rpy", line 27979, in script call
  File "game/script.rpy", line 15204, in script call
  File "game/rel.rpy", line 7198, in script call
  File "game/rel.rpy", line 23962, in script call
  File "game/rel.rpy", line 15612, in script
  File "game/rel.rpy", line 15612, in python
NameError: name 'outcaststakeee' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Anamnesis140221-win\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Anamnesis140221-win\renpy\ast.py", line 1486, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "C:\Anamnesis140221-win\renpy\python.py", line 1342, in py_eval
    return eval(py_compile(source, 'eval'), globals, locals)
  File "game/rel.rpy", line 15612, in <module>
    if outcaststakeee > 0:
NameError: name 'outcaststakeee' is not defined
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:49:27 pm by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:39 am »

And for Outcasts, I'm kind of disappointed that it looks like you're confined to a singular territory until you amass enough money for a shelter, rather than going from place to place like I thought it said.

You live a transient existence.  You have to remain in a territory until you get a random chance to move to a new random territory.  You can't even move into a shelter until you get the random chance to move.

Lots of territories suck for Outcasts.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2014, 01:22:36 am »

Yeah you can get stuck in a singular territory for a damn long time as an outcast, which is why its typically best just to stay in one territory once you can find a place you can rest and work in.

@Vaccean
Any plans on expanding on the favor system? Atm it seems to be damn near impossible to work up enough favors to control even a small group. Just collecting the relics seems to be so much less effort than farming up furniture and favors in order to force through an emperor vote.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:21 am »

Yeah you can get stuck in a singular territory for a damn long time as an outcast, which is why its typically best just to stay in one territory once you can find a place you can rest and work in.

I was trying to find a good way to say that, but you nailed it.

Anyone else think that the powerful unit scale is heavily towards the Influence?  They get Thing from the Deep, but the Order only gets a couple BFGs (big f^cking guns).  Without combined arms, Order just can't compete.  But with combined arms and good terrain, daylight, and Court Battle Advantage, they can sometimes win (depends on who gets the first two attacks).

Also, purchasing designs is bugged: You must always export, can not keep, but they take up a unit slot.  Of course, I may have broken it by requesting two be built when I only had space for one.  Overall, I'm probably not going to buy designs in the future, as they really don't seem all that profitable.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2014, 10:06:35 am »

This sounds pretty awesome, downloading and trying it out, it looks like the developer really put some work into this, and the development goals are pretty appealing too, its been ages since I've found a good text based game.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2014, 10:29:19 am »

That's a lot of feedback, thanks everybody!

I wasn't expecting it though, so I'm currently mired working in some new features and I'm unable to make a bugfix release right away, but I made a few changes based on your feedback. I'll try to have a new release ready in a few days.

The enemies won't use wastelands anymore, that was a bug. The display problems in the endgame screen and the crashing bug have also been fixed. A temporary workaround for the crash is to avoid trying to rescue renascents or  get in competitions right at the start of a new game before doing any other kind of action inside a territory. The hogging of unit slots while manufacturing has also been fixed, but I can't seem to find a cause for the log screen to pop up.

Some words on becoming an outcast. I want it to be the hardest mode and not necessarily fair. Becoming an outcast is after all a desperate situation, but I agree that players should have more options. As a stopgap, for now events will be slightly more likely to happen in territories when you are an outcast and you're also somewhat more likely to get a chance to leave any territory. In the future we'll definitively get to make more strategic choices there.

I also went ahead and allowed your character to have one extra features of each kind and even one more gear item. You can technically get silly results if you choose to have for example short hair in one slot and waist-long hair in the other, but I'll trust each player's judgement on that.

If a relic is in a territory when it gets destroyed, its suppose to resurface eventually right? Cause I just collected all the available relic pieces but nothing is happening, so I guess that means that there was a relic piece in a territory that got destroyed?

Pieces resurface eventually indeed, but they must also be researched before you can do anything with them.

Any plans on expanding on the favor system? Atm it seems to be damn near impossible to work up enough favors to control even a small group. Just collecting the relics seems to be so much less effort than farming up furniture and favors in order to force through an emperor vote.

There will be more ways to earn favours in future releases. Some of those ways will be available sooner than later.

Anyone else think that the powerful unit scale is heavily towards the Influence?  They get Thing from the Deep, but the Order only gets a couple BFGs (big f^cking guns).  Without combined arms, Order just can't compete.  But with combined arms and good terrain, daylight, and Court Battle Advantage, they can sometimes win (depends on who gets the first two attacks).

Top tier units are purposely biased towards the Influence, but I've tried to make the middle tier stalwart units, specially military ones, better overall than their influenced counterparts. I believe it makes gameplay more varied and interesting.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2014, 06:15:15 pm »

I've never had the resourced to actually summon and use major monsters (I always start as Outcast for the fun of it), but I think you could balance the Lovecraftian terrors by making them hard to control. In essence, having a chance for them to go do Lovecraftian stuff on their own or even getting completely out of control. Certain relic pieces, territories, spending Arkhe, dedicating a renascent to controlling a monster or something of the like might negate this. Basically, there'd be a constant opportunity-cost or requirement to benefit fully from the Huge Monsters or you'd need to accept the risk of them going on a rampage. And when I'm saying a rampage, not just killing people, but doing stuff like alienating a faction or provoking the court into sending a major military intervention.

When playing as a Stalwart and having Major Monsters around, it would be fun if you could make defeating them a mini-quest. Basically, unless you had a dreadnought or something, you'd need to find a weakness of the particular horror and then use your wits to defeat it. I take you take inspiration from Cthulhu Mythos and this is how it goes there; humans can't defeat tentacular visitors, but they can outwit them or provoke other tentacular guys to go against them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:56 am »

Some words on becoming an outcast. I want it to be the hardest mode and not necessarily fair. Becoming an outcast is after all a desperate situation, but I agree that players should have more options. As a stopgap, for now events will be slightly more likely to happen in territories when you are an outcast and you're also somewhat more likely to get a chance to leave any territory. In the future we'll definitively get to make more strategic choices there.
To make the system less of a death row sentence for characters forced into Outcast status, there should be a greater reduction in local tension.  I've found Outcast mode to be most dangerous for characters that didn't start there, because they usually ended up there due to too much local tension.  Now they're asked to fight off the same stuff that killed them before, but without their armies.

Pieces resurface eventually indeed, but they must also be researched before you can do anything with them.
I'm curious about the details of the resurfacing.  Do they resurface in terrain that is currently in existence?  Is there a message about their resurfacing?  How long, generally, should it take?  I know it's a lot of detail that breaks immersion, but it's hard/impossible to bug test if we don't know how things should be working.

Top tier units are purposely biased towards the Influence, but I've tried to make the middle tier stalwart units, specially military ones, better overall than their influenced counterparts. I believe it makes gameplay more varied and interesting.
Like I said, if the combined arms of various middle-tier Order troops can defeat the top-tier of the Influence, then it's ok.  But now, it seems that even combined Order troops can't best the Influence top-tier if the Influence is in favorable terrain, no matter how many advantages exist for the Order faction.  In one game, I had to wait for The Thing From The Deep to attack me in order to destroy it.  In my current game, I can't even do that, because I have no local tension and the opposing unit is in the last Influence-held territory, which is in danger of being destroyed if I launch an attack.  Didn't think that my game would be stopped by something called "Kitten Spiders".  It's not that they're a threat to my unit: They just have too much resistance to destroy in the three of five attacks that I get, and they're fast enough that I probably won't get any more.
EDIT: I finally found the right mix of luck and units to beat the Kitten Spiders.  Still not sure I could reliably beat The Thing From The Deep if it was in certain terrains, but I'm thinking it might be possible infrequently.

I should also point out that as far as I know, if a land is destroyed and turned to wasteland, then the player can never become governor.  Essentially, the land still counts as needing to be under player control, but it can never be under player control, thus no governor.  Granted, I've never gotten the proposal to become governor, so I'm not sure exactly what it needs, but I have controlled all territories but those destroyed and not gotten the extra +.1 merit per turn.  Not sure if that is working as intended, but that explains why I'm asking for order vs. influence balancing, so I can dislodge all Influence forces.
EDIT: Found out that if the land goes to wasteland on the turn that I capture it, then it's ok.  I'm getting what looks to be an extra .5 merit per turn.  Still no decision to become governor, although I could probably just wait for Emperor.

If wasteland territories don't count towards those territories needed to become governor, the player can just destroy those territories with defenders they can't beat through multiple losing battles.  Not sure if that is desired behavior either.

EDIT: Now that I control all the territories, I'm bleeding wealth.  Minus 600 per turn, no matter what I do.  I guess I'm now required to make up for the missing colonial wealth, or maybe the game wants me to fix the wasteland territory.  Some sort of balance sheet/income report would be nice so I knew why this was happening.  To clarify, I'm losing from 700 to 1000 AU per turn, it varies.  It may be due to the way I obtained my last territory: it went wasteland, but I was then offered the chance to capture it, which I did.  So, the territory still appears on the map, but it's affected by nothing.  I've set aside the save.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:13 am »

To be fair, even if you start as an outcast you can't beat most of the things your fighting as an outcast, especially since its really easy to get ridiculous levels of weariness as an outcast. You're really suppose to hide from things rather then fight them when you're an outcast.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:22 am »

Yea, as an Outcast, you can probably only ever have a chance to survive other Renescants or something utterly weak like the One Thinged Stag.

It should be easier to hide as an Outcast, since it is pretty much a game over if you are found by anything big.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2014, 12:11:24 pm »

I'm curious about the details of the resurfacing.  Do they resurface in terrain that is currently in existence?  Is there a message about their resurfacing?  How long, generally, should it take?  I know it's a lot of detail that breaks immersion, but it's hard/impossible to bug test if we don't know how things should be working.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like I said, if the combined arms of various middle-tier Order troops can defeat the top-tier of the Influence, then it's ok.  But now, it seems that even combined Order troops can't best the Influence top-tier if the Influence is in favorable terrain, no matter how many advantages exist for the Order faction.  In one game, I had to wait for The Thing From The Deep to attack me in order to destroy it.  In my current game, I can't even do that, because I have no local tension and the opposing unit is in the last Influence-held territory, which is in danger of being destroyed if I launch an attack.  Didn't think that my game would be stopped by something called "Kitten Spiders".  It's not that they're a threat to my unit: They just have too much resistance to destroy in the three of five attacks that I get, and they're fast enough that I probably won't get any more.
EDIT: I finally found the right mix of luck and units to beat the Kitten Spiders.  Still not sure I could reliably beat The Thing From The Deep if it was in certain terrains, but I'm thinking it might be possible infrequently.

I think I'm going to allow the purchase of lands through envoys even if there is a monster in it. We'll just assume players are buying it from the local aristocrats instead, which are being realized at the moment. It would be expensive, but feasible.

I should also point out that as far as I know, if a land is destroyed and turned to wasteland, then the player can never become governor.  Essentially, the land still counts as needing to be under player control, but it can never be under player control, thus no governor.  Granted, I've never gotten the proposal to become governor, so I'm not sure exactly what it needs, but I have controlled all territories but those destroyed and not gotten the extra +.1 merit per turn.  Not sure if that is working as intended, but that explains why I'm asking for order vs. influence balancing, so I can dislodge all Influence forces.
EDIT: Found out that if the land goes to wasteland on the turn that I capture it, then it's ok.  I'm getting what looks to be an extra .5 merit per turn.  Still no decision to become governor, although I could probably just wait for Emperor.

You are a governor as soon as you have a Fortress or Dungeon, the .5 merit is the effect of controlling all territories, there is no decision per se, with everything under your control you wait for merits to pile and become an emperor if you so choose. I did some stuff with wastelands and I managed to get it to work despite them, but I'll run some more tests still.

If wasteland territories don't count towards those territories needed to become governor, the player can just destroy those territories with defenders they can't beat through multiple losing battles.  Not sure if that is desired behavior either.

Sounds legit, scorched earth and whatnot. I'm a little worried about balance though, so I think I'm going to make units in destroyed territories go out on the offensive in a last desperate attack.

EDIT: Now that I control all the territories, I'm bleeding wealth.  Minus 600 per turn, no matter what I do.  I guess I'm now required to make up for the missing colonial wealth, or maybe the game wants me to fix the wasteland territory.  Some sort of balance sheet/income report would be nice so I knew why this was happening.  To clarify, I'm losing from 700 to 1000 AU per turn, it varies.  It may be due to the way I obtained my last territory: it went wasteland, but I was then offered the chance to capture it, which I did.  So, the territory still appears on the map, but it's affected by nothing.  I've set aside the save.

Puzzling. I'd like to see that save to see what's exactly going on.

Yea, as an Outcast, you can probably only ever have a chance to survive other Renescants or something utterly weak like the One Thinged Stag.

It should be easier to hide as an Outcast, since it is pretty much a game over if you are found by anything big.

I'm thinking about allowing a re-roll of hiding for outcasts at some kind of cost, perhaps forcing them to leave the territory.

I've never had the resourced to actually summon and use major monsters (I always start as Outcast for the fun of it), but I think you could balance the Lovecraftian terrors by making them hard to control. In essence, having a chance for them to go do Lovecraftian stuff on their own or even getting completely out of control. Certain relic pieces, territories, spending Arkhe, dedicating a renascent to controlling a monster or something of the like might negate this. Basically, there'd be a constant opportunity-cost or requirement to benefit fully from the Huge Monsters or you'd need to accept the risk of them going on a rampage. And when I'm saying a rampage, not just killing people, but doing stuff like alienating a faction or provoking the court into sending a major military intervention.

When playing as a Stalwart and having Major Monsters around, it would be fun if you could make defeating them a mini-quest. Basically, unless you had a dreadnought or something, you'd need to find a weakness of the particular horror and then use your wits to defeat it. I take you take inspiration from Cthulhu Mythos and this is how it goes there; humans can't defeat tentacular visitors, but they can outwit them or provoke other tentacular guys to go against them.

(Forgot to reply to this for some reason.) Those are very interesting ideas, I'll make a note about them. I especially like the mini-quests, I could even see groups of influenced renascents somehow infiltrating or tricking the large stalwart units as well. Horrors out of control seems more complex but also worth looking at.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:11:46 pm by Vaccean »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27