Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79965 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness - legible font out~!
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2012, 05:32:17 pm »

Yeah, the new font just makes it massively more comfortable to play.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

Haha, you don't have to ask our permission to do things. :P

Edit: Oh god I can actually read things now!

It's all about having a solid base, I don't want to have to change stuff later when it'll be harder to do so.

Anyway I'm glad at least that's out of the way now.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2012, 12:35:39 am »

Traceback from an exception was to long to post on the blog, so spoilered it here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edited to add traceback of another exception that happened two games later.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:30:35 am by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2012, 02:19:49 am »

The game might be available for android sometime in the future, but not soon.

Could help you port one if you like, since I'm looking for a light, unpaid android game project for practice :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2012, 08:55:14 am »

So the game is trying to divide by zero now huh? I better do something about it.

The full story about an hypothetical android version is that there is an official tool somewhere to port Ren'Py games into android, but the last time I checked it only supported basic visual novel functions. So I assume it's a matter of time for it to be working properly, maybe.

I'll look more into that later.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »

The game seems to be coming along nicely a lot of updates. Seems we have magic now.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness - Conjuration!
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2012, 09:02:44 am »

Subtle magic was there in the previous version too. You are after all using conjuration whenever you commit extra Arkhe to an endeavour to propitiate favourable results, and influenced aristocrats bind their units through conjuration rituals. You could also gain certain magical powers from certain locations. There will be however a new way to use conjuration in the next release.

What I'm doing now in the blog is, by request, explaining the lore of the game. What is Arkhe exactly, how conjuration works, etc.

The main new features I've been working on are:

• A game log to record most of the game's events in a single screen.
  • The ability to put your units into training, stand by, or to give them a small degree of freedom to act at discretion. When they act at discretion, which is the default setting for enemy units, they generate events that might grant their side strategic advantage, sway the population or take your Arkhe. This means there will be an extra reason to track and put down or reach an agreement with certain units.
  • The ability for lovers to spontaneously generate events, now they will also seek you even if you don't visit them. Which, incidentally means they might discover about your other lovers, leading to consequences.
  • The ability to interact with captured renascents while staying home and befriend them to normalize their interactions. They won't convert completely yet, so they won't be available as units, but once befriended, you will be able to hang around with them or woo them for example.
  • And finally, there will be the ability to interact with the relics you are after. This will allow you an event per piece when staying home for you and your renascents to try and harness the relic's powers or suffer the consequences. This will have you investigating the relics a la XCOM but with your renascents, with less science and more conjuration, which potentially involves more fun.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 08:20:00 pm »

I like this game. It has potential. Five things I think would improve the game a lot regarding the current content (can't comment on stuff that doesn't yet exist):

* There are connections between units, places and renascents in the lore. How about making these matter in practice? So that if you have the manor owner militia guy, there is some interaction with the manor and manor units, should they make an appearance inside the game.

* At least in the version I last played, collecting all pieces of the quest item wins the game. I think that is a little too easy. How about it just granting some special power to the main character or in general escalating the events on the map? Like the Fey Letter might cause increasing abductions, which the Court combats with increased military presence etc etc.

* Could we use the immortals as commanders for units, giving them some kind of bonus? They are so fragile on their own. In addition/alternatively there could be some sort of individual/unit level distinction. So for some actions you'd pit a lone hero or monster against a lone NPC like a private investigator or a cultist, while when taking over a city you'd need a military unit versus a military unit. If immortals could be used as leaders, they could be limited to according to fluff and personality to who and what they can command.

* How about some interaction with the leadership? Something like news/commands from the HQ and the like. It would be nice to see what Merit actually means and perhaps get some standing bonuses for higher levels. Then you'd have to decide whether to spend it for doing X or keep it to maintain bonus Y.

* Eventually, it would be fun to bestow monsters and immortals some special qualities outside basic abilities. Though if you get special events based on unit type, I guess that will do - something like a wicked knife assassinating people etc. 

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2012, 01:31:34 pm »

* There are connections between units, places and renascents in the lore. How about making these matter in practice? So that if you have the manor owner militia guy, there is some interaction with the manor and manor units, should they make an appearance inside the game.

In order to allow meaningful interactions between these elements, they should attract each other first. The owner should bring the militia and such. I might get into this some time in the future once there is a greater variety of elements.

* At least in the version I last played, collecting all pieces of the quest item wins the game. I think that is a little too easy. How about it just granting some special power to the main character or in general escalating the events on the map? Like the Fey Letter might cause increasing abductions, which the Court combats with increased military presence etc etc.

I agree. There will definitively be some kind of "boss fight" and the items will probably generate events of some sort, but I have to consider the details yet. For now, starting from the next version, researching and tinkering with those items will potentially yield, among other things, powerful attacks and greatly increased stats. Right now I'm allowing players to research The Sword of Draknharn to build their own atomic bombs or blow up while trying.

* Could we use the immortals as commanders for units, giving them some kind of bonus? They are so fragile on their own. In addition/alternatively there could be some sort of individual/unit level distinction. So for some actions you'd pit a lone hero or monster against a lone NPC like a private investigator or a cultist, while when taking over a city you'd need a military unit versus a military unit. If immortals could be used as leaders, they could be limited to according to fluff and personality to who and what they can command.

I've been considering for a while having some territories allowing only units up to a given size, but there are further considerations to be made before. It didn't occur to me attaching immortals to other units as commanders, but a combined arms approach to warfare is very likely to take place in some form in the future, with different units assisting each other during combat. I partially addressed this by allowing some units to achieve strategic advantages in a variety of ways for their side in the next version.

* How about some interaction with the leadership? Something like news/commands from the HQ and the like. It would be nice to see what Merit actually means and perhaps get some standing bonuses for higher levels. Then you'd have to decide whether to spend it for doing X or keep it to maintain bonus Y.

This will be done once I get to the aristocratic intrigue part. In the future you will have as much voting power in the court as merits, indeed having to decide whether if it'll be worth spending them or not. There will also be other aristocrats to interact with and perhaps orders from above and honorary tittles, but all this will not happen in the next release yet.

* Eventually, it would be fun to bestow monsters and immortals some special qualities outside basic abilities. Though if you get special events based on unit type, I guess that will do - something like a wicked knife assassinating people etc.

This very week I precisely allowed wicked knife to kill people at random, trigger panics among enemy units and such when allowed to act at discretion. All other units will in turn get their own events just the same. It's also not ruled out that they might have other qualities in the future as well.

I am aware that the game is rather bare bones as of now, but in this matter I can only ask for patience and wish for more free time to invest in it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2012, 10:50:10 pm »

This very week I precisely allowed wicked knife to kill people at random, trigger panics among enemy units and such when allowed to act at discretion.

Yes.

I, for one, think your progress is good.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2012, 11:41:15 pm »

I didn't read a single word of this thread.  All I want to say, is SHAME ON YOU for getting me excited that there was an Anamaniacs RPG released.  You have lifted my hopes and subsequently dashed them on the harsh rocks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2012, 01:56:07 am »

You spelled what you thought it was spelled as wrong. That might be the problem.  :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:11 pm »

Quote from: A description for a snake-woman I rolled as a partner once
A fragile looking, elegantly dressed young lady with porcelain skin and long orange hair, also a manipulative bitch.
Some of the unit descriptions are pure gold.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at this game...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 01:51:50 pm »

Alright, just finished uploading the new version, you can get it at the usual place.

This time I've addressed another of your long lasting complaints. You can now combine your units in combat so they won't be as weak. The resulting combined unit will inherit the highest stat among available units, so it's a matter of hiring or summoning units that complement each other rather than simply amassing numbers. Besides sending a combined army will cost merits, so you must pick your battles wisely.

Here's the full changelog for your convenience.

Change Log:

Units now generate events spontaneously.
    These events can be punished or rewarded when performed by your units so you can avoid negative ones.
    You can reach truces, capture or destroy enemy units to prevent their events from happening.
    Your units can now be sent into battle as a combined force.
    Units can now achieve strategic advantage for your side (or the enemy's), giving you a significant advantage (or disadvantage) in combat during the following week.
    Added the ability to put your units into training to slowly raise their EX without danger.
    Added an event log that stores most of your actions, those of your units, and the general game progress.
    Added the ability to interact with collected relic pieces when staying home.
    Relics now generate events similar to those of the units.
    You can now interact with captive renascents and befriend them when staying home.
    Lovers can now visit you at your base, and maybe find out about your other lovers.
    Civilians can result dead during confrontations involving large amounts of damage.
    Likewise, civilians might die because of the punishments of your units.
    Changed the option "Fight Cautiously" to "Avoid Civilian Casualties".
    Smaller units now suffer less damage in combat, larger units suffer more damage.
    You are now asked for confirmation when disbanding a unit.
    Several other tweaks and bugfixes.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 02:52:09 pm »

Coming along nicely. Still very much interested in the future of this.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27