Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness!  (Read 79967 times)

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anamnesis, text-based RPG TBS awesomeness
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:49 am »

Yup, I've been quietly taking notes from here for a while and making changes accordingly, I just didn't want to barge in uninvited, besides I forgot my password.

So I take it the biggest font is the biggest problem?

I understand my judgment about the font is biased because I've grown used to it by now. I think it sets the mood but if it does bother you I'll start looking for alternatives. I assume the small one is fine though?

I've also noticed that you're already getting the gist of the game, which fills me with joy, but I've also noticed that you are already scrutinizing my spaghetti code, which fills me with shame.

Ask or comment anything you want to me.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 10:51:24 am »

Do you plannith for political ranks ? so you can raise up the ladder and become more powerful that way ?

and welcome to the forum. but from your posts you have already been here and also play DF and experienced its bugs.... so welcome back :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:53:05 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 11:32:18 am »

The politics of the game are kind of complex but the fault rests with me for not conveying them properly to the player. I haven't gotten into them in detail because they aren't used much yet.

Your political rank is roughly that of your accumulated Merits.

Right now you can only spend them on favours like enlisting units. In the future you should be able to hoard them to accumulate more power during voting sessions in the court.

That is, if you have 8 Merits, you will have 8 votes in different votings that will affect the game in different ways that I haven't quite decided yet.

But of course all this might change by the time I try to implement it.

And yep, I've loved DF for years now, though I haven't gotten around to make a real fortress since before the minecarts were added.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »

Thanks Steele! I updated the front post with a temporary file to change the font for those who want it!

Hello Vaccean and thanks for dropping by!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 09:27:13 pm »

So I take it the biggest font is the biggest problem?

I understand my judgment about the font is biased because I've grown used to it by now. I think it sets the mood but if it does bother you I'll start looking for alternatives. I assume the small one is fine though?

I'm ok with reading it, but I'd still prefer something mundane. Don't think font really sets the mood much. It's a cost-benefit balance between readability and feel. Personally, I do web design so I'm highly biased toward legible fonts… and being a text-based game, I think the game should be more towards legible fonts than pretty ones.

I doubt some people will miss it if you change it now, but give people a couple of months to get used to it and they'll have some emotional  attachment to it :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 11:14:04 pm »

Started playing this last night, and am enjoying it.  I am fine with the font, already feel used to it, but I do catch myself squinting occasionally.  As I continue to play I will become very attached to the game's visual details, including the font (I'm that way with almost all games, visual details like fonts 'mean' the specific game(s) using it after a bit for me).  However, the font wasn't necessary to get me to enjoy the game, in itself adds almost nothing to the game for me, and I'd be attaching to any other font if you'd used another one.

When weather started to drift across the screen I was quite startled, nice touch.

I would urge the game designer to consider consolidating some of the 'needed clicking'.  For example, when I return to a territory I've already visited, I already know the unit guarding it.  I expect to be watched closely, that's happening every time... and I am quite interested in seeing if I am allowed to pass or if I must fight -

As the game plays out now, I must click after seeing the (familiar) unit, click again after being told that I'm being closely watched (That seems to happen every time) and then click a third time after being told if I passed safely or not.

This stops when I finally get a foothold in a territory - but sometimes it's very hard and long to get those rights (I've played games where I never owned anything) and sometimes I'm visiting an unowned territory over and over because of something that's (at least sometimes) there.

If you gave all that information in a single click, instead of three, my sense of flow in the game would be increased.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:13 am »

Very well, I am convinced about the font.

As for the three needed clicks, my intention was to add a little tension. I think that what I'm going to do is remove the double message when the Local Tension bar is too low or perhaps eliminate some other clicks elsewhere in that screen, but I'll experiment with all options.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 08:29:25 am »

Gonna have to agree with the clicking, way too much of that over there.  It makes territory actions, more tedious, which ya don't need since it can already be repetitive.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 09:20:34 am »

Watching.

Any chance this game can be made to work upon my smartphone?
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 10:28:27 am »

I approve of this game idea and will keep an eye on it.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 06:07:42 pm »

This game has potential, but it is annoying how useless your own guy is at the start. I wish s/he had some random equipment at the start or a way to manufacture/buy them at base. Likewise, it is a little funny how you might face an infantry unit alone.

Perhaps there should be a way to attach heroes as leaders to unit-type creatures? Giving them bonuses and such.

Difficulty level certainly needs toning. My resistance went from 40 to 15 due to permanent event losses from territory exploration and stuff. That was very annoying. The game doesn't need to be easy, but would be nice if it was fair. Losing is fun only if you lose to your own stupidity or things spiraling out of control, not by arbitrary malus. 

Anyway, I'll keep following the deveploment with interest.

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 08:57:56 pm »

The game might be available for android sometime in the future, but not soon.

I'll take a look into your own characters' uselessness, for now I'll make stat losses more forgiving and raises more generous.

I've also removed several unnecessary clicks and I'm testing a new clearer font, I think I'm starting to like the new one better already.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 12:59:39 am »

Seems fun. Following...

Vaccean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 04:49:20 pm »

There, I think I've addressed all your feedback in one way or another.

A new version is up with a new font, less clicks and several other tweaks and fixes.

Let me know what you think. If everything's fine now I'll move on to the new stuff. I'm just itching to do so.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »

There, I think I've addressed all your feedback in one way or another.

A new version is up with a new font, less clicks and several other tweaks and fixes.

Let me know what you think. If everything's fine now I'll move on to the new stuff. I'm just itching to do so.
Haha, you don't have to ask our permission to do things. :P

Edit: Oh god I can actually read things now!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27