Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 210

Author Topic: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching  (Read 500843 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: Equestria (v0.30c) Pinkie Pie is Watching
« Reply #2865 on: October 17, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »

There is lots of low-quality, some medium-quality and no high-quality salvage on the surface in peaceful areas. You can bring high quality on embark, go to the caverns and fight the ghouls for it or embark in an inhospitable place and die to radiation storms.

Basiacally, what Snail555 said, for metal you process low quality salvage at the salvage yard, get scrap and either smelt iron or bronze out of it. Use normal trees for charcoal. You'll want to set up separate stockpiles for salvage trees and normal trees, link them to workshops (salvage to salvage yard, normal wood to wood burner and carpenter) and add 3 minecarts to the one for salvage.
There is just so much scrap that I don't even care about minerals anymore. Well, maybe flux, saltpetre (for gunpowder) and coal (but I can get enough on embark, except for flux).

> Reading the code yields little, it calls a lot of DFHack stuff I do not understand.
If I raed it correctly, you could have things like power armour that wouldn't work by themselves. You'd have to have a reaction to activate power armour by giving it a coating of syndrome-bearing stuff. It could work, but it is preferable to use something like itemsyndrome.

> Screw stuff, I am gonna learn how to program DFHack for the fun of it, future updates for the weekend may be a bit sparse.
Lol, that's the spirit, modder!

> Dangit, itemSyndrome is going to be hard to test, even in the old version, it does not activate in Arena Mode.
I'm starting to regret talking you into porting to 0.40 so early. But then it would have to be done anyway.

There is really no point in testing drugs without worn items giving syndromes.

> http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139781.0
Looks interesting, but I haven't read through it yet.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: October 17, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »

My first artifact while using this mod (unfortunately it was a possession):

"Unswerving Control", a feral dog bone coffin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What the artwork doesn't include is the fact that Truth got mauled badly by the mirelurk and is now wandering about aimlessly; it's a wonder it hasn't fallen apart already. The protectapony was actually trying to protect a foolish hunter with a BB gun, who got killed in action soon after entering the map by aforementioned mirelurk.
Turns out it was the spouse of one of my ponies as well. Wow.

After playing for a while longer I was wondering whether I was getting anywhere until I discovered the first cavern... it was a long way down, to 40 z-levels below ground (due to the game's default worldgen giving very deep worlds) and got loads of free salvage. Nothing was down there, surprisingly, but I won't take my chances with whatever might be lying in wait for me.

...I spoke too soon. A forgotten beast has been made aware of our presence: a bloated, tailed blob composed of water with poisonous vapors!
How the hell do you kill something made of water?!

EDIT: Looking at the wiki, it turns out that watery blobs are just about the weakest thing ever. All I hope is that the poisonous vapors aren't extremely dangerous.

EDIT2: Hilariously, the beast couldn't hold its own watery form and collapsed after a few minutes time! :P
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:26:17 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: October 17, 2014, 11:10:10 pm »

>  It could work, but it is preferable to use something like itemsyndrome.
I may have gotten the hang of using item-trigger, but it would make previous saves uncompatible and may not work.

> I'm starting to regret talking you into porting to 0.40 so early.
Why? As far as I can tell, things have been going so swimmingly (sacarsm, sorta).

> "Unswerving Control", a feral dog bone coffin
At least it is usable, not some random piece of junk like an earring.
> The protectapony was actually trying to protect a foolish hunter with a BB gun, who got killed in action soon after entering the map by aforementioned mirelurk.
In the .34 version, BB guns suck and cannot kill anything. Coupled with the fact that most things are way more deadly than vanilla, it is advised to turn off hunting on everyone.
> Turns out it was the spouse of one of my ponies as well. Wow.
Wait, robots can marry ponies, that is strange. No one ever mentioned that happening.

> How the hell do you kill something made of water?!
You drink it (joke).

That brings up an issue,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. How do we fit that in fluff wise?

And I have a gameplay question for the more experienced players, how do you go about capturing slaver thieves, they keep getting spotted before they reach the cage traps and run away.

Updating reactions look easy enough, the hard part is item-trigger. And the good news is that the whole system is a lot cleaner, boulders will still be produced to train the skill, but apart from that lists upon lists of different inorganic material seem to be a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:39:55 pm by Snail555 »
I do stuff, I guess

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: October 17, 2014, 11:44:58 pm »

Ignoring the slab part, the demon vaults could be considered some form of pre-war lab, while spires could be considered a case of outright madness: The setting is quite magical/fantastical/horrific when thought about sometimes and demonic entities would surely exist, either escapees from horrible experiments or intruders from other planes of existence.

As to slaver capture, I just set up cage traps at corners of defensive barriers. They'll generally come around the corner and get nabbed if they come from the north(east and west,) when they take the corners. Not perfect, but it generally results in a few prisoners an ambush season or if I sprange for weapon traps, a few corpses that need cleaning up.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: October 17, 2014, 11:48:57 pm »

> Turns out it was the spouse of one of my ponies as well. Wow.
Wait, robots can marry ponies, that is strange. No one ever mentioned that happening.
The hunter, not the robot, was the spouse of one of my ponies. I can see where you could have gotten mixed up with that though.

Also, about the BB guns: Are they better in the v40 version due to pulping, like how security batons got buffed too? Or they still just plain bad?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:18:36 am by thegamemaster1234 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: October 17, 2014, 11:54:09 pm »

I think they got replaced by pneumatic rifles, unless I read it wrong before. Not going to be taking on power armored goons with them but you can at least hurt things now.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: October 18, 2014, 12:20:16 am »

I think they got replaced by pneumatic rifles, unless I read it wrong before. Not going to be taking on power armored goons with them but you can at least hurt things now.
I thought they already were called "air rifles" in the df34 version.

What skill does the Energy Lance use? I chanced upon a plasteel one from a crate, and would like to know which kind of pony I should give it to.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: October 18, 2014, 01:21:37 am »

> I thought they already were called "air rifles" in the df34 version.
They are, but they are still very weak. I buffed them while I was migrating the mod to .40

> What skill does the Energy Lance use?
Spear.
I do stuff, I guess

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: October 18, 2014, 02:14:38 am »

My computer crashed when I was answering.

> How do we fit that in fluff wise?
Starmetal fits thanks to project horizons. The bad stuff is what remained of miners, kind of like generation 2 supermutants from Fallout 2.

> Also, about the BB guns: Are they better in the v40 version due to pulping?
From what Snail555 said, they seem to be on-par with old pistols and all ranged weapons got buffed. As for pulping, he said it seems to make miniguns and other material emissions overpowered.

> It uses the spear skill. In general UPs are better at it (104 rate for UPs, 80 rate for EPs), but you'd want to give it to a spear CM or an arms master (240 or 260 learning rate). You can recharge the lance at a workbench with 2 spark batteries to make it more deadly.
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: October 18, 2014, 04:53:50 am »

> As for pulping, he said it seems to make miniguns and other material emissions overpowered.
For miniguns and normal turrets, I also increased the density of the emission. To be honest, I have not tested the emissions of other robots and such.
And miniguns were already OP in the first version if I remember correctly, the sheer number of bullets dramatically increased the chance of them hitting something squishy.

Okay, I have a question. Should I go ahead and complete adding reaction-trigger for all the necessary reactions, which is relatively simple but tedious, or should I keep trying to find out how to make item-trigger add syndromes?

Oh, and I just discovered a ton of extra sprites in raws/graphics. Any idea how to add them to the Phoebus version? I am not too good with this sort of thing.
UPDATE: Never mind, found out how. Do you find it strange Steel Rangers have sprites but other ponies don't?

...-modded\Old stuff\df_40_13_win - Copy\hack\lua\utils.lua:598: duplicate arg:
5: reactionName
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'error'
        ...-modded\Old stuff\df_40_13_win - Copy\hack\lua\utils.lua:598: in func
tion 'processArgs'
        ...13_win - Copy\hack\scripts/modtools/reaction-trigger.lua:160: in main
 chunk
        (...tail calls...)
Is this error part of the script?
Line in init file: modtools/reaction-trigger -reactionName UPGRADE_TURRET_MINIGUN -syndrome "minigun upgrade"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:36:08 am by Snail555 »
I do stuff, I guess

Destyvirago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: October 18, 2014, 11:42:57 am »

> As for pulping, he said it seems to make miniguns and other material emissions overpowered.
For miniguns and normal turrets, I also increased the density of the emission. To be honest, I have not tested the emissions of other robots and such.
And miniguns were already OP in the first version if I remember correctly, the sheer number of bullets dramatically increased the chance of them hitting something squishy.

Realistically speaking using a minigun on anything living is massive overkill. A minigun usually fires about 50-100 rounds pr second. A normal machine gun fire at about 10-12 rounds per second. I am just asking, but could we implement a way to limit the minigun turrets without nerfing their power too much? Is there a way to "deactivate" a minigun turret after a set amount of shots so we have to rearm it in order to use it again? Using a minigun turret should be somewhat expensive and something you have to work for.

Okay, I have a question. Should I go ahead and complete adding reaction-trigger for all the necessary reactions, which is relatively simple but tedious, or should I keep trying to find out how to make item-trigger add syndromes?
Well, my coding skills are very limited, but from what I understand how to make syndromes and reactions have now changed a bit. I would think that going with the way that is more forward oriented and give the most flexibility would be best

Oh, and I just discovered a ton of extra sprites in raws/graphics. Any idea how to add them to the Phoebus version? I am not too good with this sort of thing.
UPDATE: Never mind, found out how. Do you find it strange Steel Rangers have sprites but other ponies don't?
Actually I love the Fo:E specific sprites. I think it ads to the mood. I do hope that this is something that can be expanded upon in the future. 
*snip coding parts I don't understand*

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: October 18, 2014, 04:09:00 pm »

> Should I go ahead and complete adding reaction-trigger for all the necessary reactions
I'd go with boring and tedious for as long as you can bear it, then switch to learning.

> Sprites
You might also want to look at Deon's Wasteland mod. He has sprites too and was willing to share them with Lycaeon.

> Do you find it strange Steel Rangers have sprites but other ponies don't?
For Steel Rangers or Raiders you just need a few sprites. For ponies, you'd need at least one for each profession or something. I've seen spritesheets with like 200 sprites for Dwarfs. And having colour-coded p ane e isn't so bad.

> Stack trace.
I don't think I can help you. One thing I know is that reaction names have to be unique, so grep your init files for "UPGRADE_TURRET_MINIGUN".

> Minigun turrets
You have to use a minigun, two crates of ammo and some other things, which makes it a major expense, so it should be powerful. About the only way I can think of to deactivate minigun turret would be to turn it into a basic turret after a year or five, regardless if it fired any shots.

> Actually I love the Fo:E specific sprites. I think it ads to the mood.
> I do hope that this is something that can be expanded upon in the future.   
Heh, I tried to make a Steel Ranger sprite once and it turned out horrible.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: October 18, 2014, 08:58:39 pm »

RE: Immobile creatures[IE:Turrest] not being able to do interactions

Going to be fixed in 40.14, so don't redesign the turrets and such completely. Just wait for the Almighty Toad to fix it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: October 19, 2014, 01:21:37 am »

> Is there a way to "deactivate" a minigun turret after a set amount of shots so we have to rearm it in order to use it again?
The minigun turrets already have an interaction that must be activated to allow them to fire bullets. Once it runs out, it has to wait some time before it can be used again.

> You might also want to look at Deon's Wasteland mod. He has sprites too and was willing to share them with Lycaeon.
The sprites in there are already in Lycaeon's release.

> Going to be fixed in 40.14, so don't redesign the turrets and such completely. Just wait for the Almighty Toad to fix it.
That's good news, thanks. I only commented out the tag and set their speed to a very slow one.

It turns out the error was because I pasted the same line twice accidentally.

As a side note, how hard do you think programming Adventurer style combat into Nethack will be?

UPDATE: On extremely long basic world-gens, the world tends to get overrun by hordes of Steel Rangers.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:49:05 am by Snail555 »
I do stuff, I guess

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: October 19, 2014, 12:20:37 pm »

Using the v34 version, I really wanted to make some chain weapons, right? However, even though I am 100% certain that I have all the materials, the Workshop doesn't let me make one! I have looked through my stocks and found everything required: a steel machete/hacksaw/knife, a coiled wire, a charged battery, a steel chain, and steel mechanisms.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 210