Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 227098 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #555 on: November 28, 2012, 10:23:39 pm »

What I want to determine is how confortable Foghorn is about telling us where Alice is.
To figure out how Foghorn feels about us knowing. If he tells the truth, he trusts us or doesn't care; if he says nothing or changes the subject, he's probably nervous about it and therefore likely wasn't doing it willingly; if he just lies, we've got almost nothing but at least we tried.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 29, 2012, 12:01:35 am »

Her punishment is being sold to Vindel and being disowned, which we already know

Anything further on that is to be determined by Vindel

What we should ask is why Foghorn was speaking to Vindel, which wont arouse suspicion
Well, the tigerwoman said that Foghorn intended to use Alice as a peace offering. We can still avoid that.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 29, 2012, 01:31:57 am »

I'm just here to say that this is pretty creepy, what-with all the pseudo-rape and evil troll stuff, and I absolutely love it. Heh.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 29, 2012, 02:12:54 am »

This guy seems really eager to help us, I'm kinda wondering just how motivated he is by taking credit, what exactly would that do for him?

On that vein, perhaps ask what he has to gain by taking credit for us?  I'm not seeing the return on investment here considering how much he has done and what he is offering.  He isn't exactly getting stingy on us either, as if he would be happy to burn some more time/resources for us.

e: To be clear, we finally got our ass handed back to us from some random enchanter, you'd think he would at least be having second thoughts with respect to our badassery.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:16:49 am by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 29, 2012, 02:32:53 am »

This guy seems really eager to help us, I'm kinda wondering just how motivated he is by taking credit, what exactly would that do for him?

On that vein, perhaps ask what he has to gain by taking credit for us?  I'm not seeing the return on investment here considering how much he has done and what he is offering.  He isn't exactly getting stingy on us either, as if he would be happy to burn some more time/resources for us.

e: To be clear, we finally got our ass handed back to us from some random enchanter, you'd think he would at least be having second thoughts with respect to our badassery.
He's a dark wizard - it's in his best interest for the night trolls to spread and envelop the nights in fear again. Endangered species protection at its evilest, lol.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 29, 2012, 03:53:10 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What I want to determine is how confortable Foghorn is about telling us where Alice is.
To figure out how Foghorn feels about us knowing. If he tells the truth, he trusts us or doesn't care; if he says nothing or changes the subject, he's probably nervous about it and therefore likely wasn't doing it willingly; if he just lies, we've got almost nothing but at least we tried.

"Oh dear. You punished her? On my account... Please tell me she is okay. I didn't think her offence was that severe. I saved her life and she was just trying to offer me something she thought I wanted in return."

Foghorn pauses for a moment to choose his words carefully before speaking with confidence. "It wasn't what she did that mattered all that much... I found some of the things she said in the resulting argument insulting, disrespectful, and a bit heartbreaking. I put her on my magic torment device on the 'low' setting for now. I... I think I'm going to have to marry her off, or find her some other mage to apprentice under. I can't handle her anymore."

The wizard takes a deep breath. "I don't like it one bit, but I think Vindel would be the best choice. He is the only half decent enchanter who will work for a dark wizard and dosn't expect his customers to provide their own souls."

Gwendolyn clears her throat, perhaps to boast about her own skills in the field, but receives a sharp jab from Rox's claws. "Don't interrupt Mr. Foghorn."

"I can't afford him to have any hard feelings towards myself, and I can't afford to kill him. We exchanged some harsh words while I was negotiating your freedom, and I think a peace offering is necessary... Shit. I'm not going to easily forgive myself for this decision..."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 29, 2012, 04:34:13 am »

Tell Foghorn that we don't agree with what he's decided to do, that we think Vindel is scum that should be killed and eaten, but that we're not going to interfere with his peace offering to Vindel because we owe Foghorn for the tower.

Once Foghorn has left, send word to Vindel that we desire Alice (don't specify why) and are willing to forgive him for his treatment of us if he will agree to sell her to us.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 29, 2012, 04:52:12 am »

I am sure that we should open our cards and tell about Vindel's plan to marry his way to the capital. If Foghorn will know that Vindel will leave as soon as he can he will value such an ally way less. And if he will know that Vindel doesn't truly need Alice as a wife, because he desires another oman he may change his mind.

If that fails , We should visit Vindel in person, return him his soul catching amulet, try to get back our sword and express our interest to buy Alice if Foghorn will marry her

Vindel needed some giant toad killed, we can exchange that for Alice if we choose not fight with anyone option. And I think that we should, Foghorn doesn't want to see Vindel killed and we shouldn't risk that

Offering our wife as a talented enchanter is an option, too... but that may leave us without wife for a while
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:54:26 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 29, 2012, 04:54:56 am »

Those are some good points and I agree with all of them.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 29, 2012, 05:05:14 am »

What about introducing our wife to Foghorn?

I am sure that he will be interested both in her enchantment skill  and blinking skill, but I am afraid that he will get too interested... Besides we shouldn't promote enchantment use. So it's close and i tend to not say anything about Gwen unless asked
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 29, 2012, 05:16:29 am »

So, true fact:
There are no female night trolls anymore. Female night trolls will never be born again because they can only be born to other female night trolls. This means that turning men into troll husbands is impossible. This means that our squeamishness against using enchantment with male souls isn't really based on any reason that actually exists anymore.

I propose that, as the Grand Trollish Progenitor of our species, we do away with the taboo against using the souls of men in enchantment. The taboo against using the souls of women says though, because that one still has a reason to exist.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:46 am »

I am sure that we should open our cards and tell about Vindel's plan to marry his way to the capital. If Foghorn will know that Vindel will leave as soon as he can he will value such an ally way less. And if he will know that Vindel doesn't truly need Alice as a wife, because he desires another oman he may change his mind.
Tell Foghorn that we don't agree with what he's decided to do, that we think Vindel is scum that should be killed and eaten, but that we're not going to interfere with his peace offering to Vindel because we owe Foghorn for the tower.

Once Foghorn has left, send word to Vindel that we desire Alice (don't specify why) and are willing to forgive him for his treatment of us if he will agree to sell her to us.
In short, we should let Foghorn know that we don't like the plan to keep the guy who enslaved us alive but won't interfere with it; tell Foghorn everything we know about Vindel; and let Vindel know we'd be willing to barter for Alice.

-----

He doesn't seem to think it's that bad that he out his daughter in a magical torture machine. Hm.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 29, 2012, 08:39:43 am »

Maybe bring Vindel a few souls for her freedom. I think putting a fast time field around the male bachelor tree and setting it on fire might be enough.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 29, 2012, 04:38:18 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You stare Foghorn down. "I don't think he wold be interested in the deal actually..."

"Why ever not? He's one of those progressive new age elves who don't object to mixing blood. I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a human..."

"He told me of his plans while I was his slave. He is after an elf of noble blood by the name of Clairia." You offer the wizard a sad smile. "He thinks he can woo her and carry her off to the High Queen's capitol to live as a prince... I'm sure he would have no use at all for Alice." 1d20 = 19 + 1(Skill) = 20

Foghorn's face turns red. "Well roll me up and smoke me from a pipe! That just stinks! Clairia eh? Clairia... He wants some reject from the high queen's court over THE DAUGHTER OF THE MOST POWERFUL WIZARD TO WALK THE EARTH SINCE THE AGE OF MYTH?!?!? ILL FUCKING SHOW HIM!"

The human kicks a thick branch out of anger, injuring his toe and further whipping him into a wrathful frenzy! "ALICE WANTS YOU? FINE. YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF MY DAUGHTERS, AND MY FRIENDSHIP! TURN HER INTO WHATEVER YOU WANT AND RUB IT IN VINDEL'S FUCKING FACE!"

Rox starts bawling in the corner in response to Foghorns rant. Esmeralda leads her outside to calm down. The old wizard takes a moment to catch his breath and calm down. "...I want you to take the c*** Clairia as well. Alive or dead I don't care. We can't have him running off and leaving me without an enchanter."

You smirk. Foghorn's explosive and irrational defense of his family honor reminds you of your father and some of his consorts.

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 29, 2012, 04:54:48 pm »

Hmm we still like Alice so let's not squander another gift on her...

Let's suggest offering Alice as a pretense for getting into Vindel's home. While we're there we can try and find out more about this Claire.
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 143