Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)  (Read 15606 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2012, 10:31:40 pm »

Somehow, I get the impression that joining the Union couldn't possibly be bad for PR's economy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:47 pm »

And the Virgin Islands, Navassa, and all the Pacific islands that we took over in WWII, like the Mariana Islands, and Wake Island.
Most of them are uninhabited though.
We could just scoop them up and say, "Hey, states!"
One could move there and elect themselves Governor.
On one hand, I would be a United States Governor. On the other, all alone on uninhabited land. Hmm.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »

I could see a huge influx of tourists going, "This is here!? Holy shit, when did that happen?" within the first year of statehood.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »

They would have one Representative until appropriation at which point the population of Puerto Rico would be added into the aggregate of the United States and then it's official number of representatives would be decided.  They would have two Senators of course.  They would be worth three votes in the electoral college until 2020.  All of this is of course dependent on past precedent being followed.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »

So wait, does this mean you guys are adding another star to the flag?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2012, 10:38:43 pm »

Yes. Hence my avatar and the first four pages or so.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2012, 10:40:09 pm »

The flag would not necessarily have to change.  All of that would be subject to a vote, that would likely passed unopposed.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »

The flag wouldn't have to change, but what's the point of having all our flag symbolism if we aren't going to stick to it?
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2012, 10:42:11 pm »

So is that the official new design? With a circle of stars?
I think I liked the old one more, maybe you should drop a state. You don't need Alaska do you?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2012, 10:44:16 pm »

No, there have been no votes, thus there is no official design for a fifty-one star flag.  No, a state won't be dropped or consolidated.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2012, 10:44:55 pm »

So is that the official new design? With a circle of stars?
I think I liked the old one more, maybe you should drop a state. You don't need Alaska do you?
There is no official design, PR isn't a state yet. This is just one of the suggested designs, the best one, to be specific. Check the earlier part of the thread for more.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2012, 10:45:40 pm »

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »

Yeah, we might be jumping the gun considering the ballot question was not conclusive and the pro-statehood governor is no longer in office.

Informative, thank you for the link, I was looking for something like that earlier in the day.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »

That's troubling, but leaving a ballot blank isn't really valid or indicative of anything in particular. If those voters wanted to stay where they were, then why not just vote that?

The governor is another issue, but at the end of the day statehood won the referendum by the rules of the referendum.

I guess we'll see what happens.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2012, 11:04:41 pm »

The flag wouldn't have to change, but what's the point of having all our flag symbolism if we aren't going to stick to it?
Also, everyone would be like 'WTF USAdude, your states don't match your stars! Aren't they supposed to match and stuff?"
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16