Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)  (Read 15621 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:08 pm »

I kind of hope PR becomes a state. Then, just think of all the other places that go, "Whoa, it can actually happen! Let's be states, too!"

Yeah, that's probably nowhere, but I'm an idealist of sorts.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2012, 09:56:33 pm »

There's always Guam.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2012, 09:57:13 pm »

Hmm. What could we let in that would vote Republican?

Maybe we could condense all our remaining territories into the state of Other?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2012, 09:58:41 pm »

And the Virgin Islands, Navassa, and all the Pacific islands that we took over in WWII, like the Mariana Islands, and Wake Island.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »

So how many congressmen/women and electors will the new state get? I haven't heard any mention of it yet, and I'm feeling too lazy to dig around and find out.
5 representatives + 2 senators, and thus 7 electors.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:56 pm »

And the Virgin Islands, Navassa, and all the Pacific islands that we took over in WWII, like the Mariana Islands, and Wake Island.
Most of them are uninhabited though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2012, 10:00:46 pm »

So how many congressmen/women and electors will the new state get? I haven't heard any mention of it yet, and I'm feeling too lazy to dig around and find out.

They're between Oklahoma and Connecticut in population which both have 5 representatives, so presumably they'd get five representatives as well (and 7 electors), however total membership in the House of Representatives is capped at 435, so I'm not really sure how the PR delegation would be integrated into the House. Would they have to keep their 1 observing member (as a voting member) until reappropriation rolled around again? Would other states have to lose some representatives? Would we increase the size of the house to 440?

(lots of ninjas... grrr)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »

What are the odds that PR will actually become a state?

Also, how soon could it happen?
It's unlikely it'll be rejected without massive backlash. You're talking about close to 4 million people being denied the right to vote after almost a century of commonwealth status and taxation. I think even those opposed to it would be a little angry. It's also a very rare opportunity to gain permanent territory, island or no, which is difficult without war or some nation going bankrupt and needing rescuing. Strategically, it would be an excuse to station a real military presence there, without in theory offending Cuba. Economically it's hit-or-miss - it sounds like they're in the same boat as we are or worse, for unemployment. A decent amount of spending would be required to bring standards of government up to spec, and I can see that being a problem for some senators, etc, but no new territory has ever been rejected that met the requirements.

Any other considerations you guys can think of? Besides racism?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »

5 representatives + 2 senators, and thus 7 electors.
The House will probably be temporarily expanded to 440 seats, similar to how it was when Alaska and Hawaii were let in, and then when redistricting kicks in after the 2020 census, the total seats will drop back to 435 overall.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2012, 10:02:52 pm »

We could just scoop them up and say, "Hey, states!"

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:43 pm »

Strategically, it would be an excuse to station a real military presence there, without in theory offending Cuba.

The military has already had a presence in Puerto Rico for quite a while. The island of Vieques was basically owned by the Navy until recently.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:11 pm »

On the subject of being against it, my dad's against it on poverty grounds, but I'm not sure how much of that is based in fact.
Shoes...

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »

Strategically, it would be an excuse to station a real military presence there, without in theory offending Cuba.

The military has already had a presence in Puerto Rico for quite a while. The island of Vieques was basically owned by the Navy until recently.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Puerto_Rico#Military_facilities_in_Puerto_Rico Basically, we have nothing there but Coast Guard and training facilities. Puerto Rico is too strategically important for operations in South America to not have an airforce base, at least. The ones we did have were closed due to backlash from weapons testing, but it's questionable whether they'll fight it now considering it can only mean more jobs for them. It's definitely going to be a consideration for most of congress, even if it's not talked about openly.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

We could just scoop them up and say, "Hey, states!"
One could move there and elect themselves Governor.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »

On the subject of being against it, my dad's against it on poverty grounds, but I'm not sure how much of that is based in fact.
Tell him he should be against Michigan, too. In 09-10, our unemployment rate was almost 15%.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16