Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)  (Read 15589 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: So... Welcome, America, to your 51st? (Puerto Rico Thread)
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

Puerto Rico has been trying to earn statehood for at least the past 15 years. Every few years, they pass new initiative and it gets rejected by Congress.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2012, 10:49:27 am »

Maybe the circle will grow on me, but for the more traditionally minded, there's this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 10:52:13 am »

Huh. Takes 2/3 of the House and Senate to approve it.
i don't think this is correct by the way

wikipedia says it just requires passing of a bill and in this case i think wikipedia is right
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:53:46 am by TripJack »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 10:57:22 am »

Yeah, everything I can find says it's a joint resolution (which is the same thing as a bill, basically).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 10:59:28 am »

Puerto Rico has been trying to earn statehood for at least the past 15 years. Every few years, they pass new initiative and it gets rejected by Congress.

This is the first time the population has supported it, though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 11:17:35 am »

Besides racist scumbags and political masterminds, who sees anything wrong with gaining a new tropical paradise as a part of the USA?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 11:26:23 am »

Besides racist scumbags and political masterminds, who sees anything wrong with gaining a new tropical paradise as a part of the USA?

For starters it means that Puerto Ricans will need to start paying federal income taxes.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 11:29:03 am »

For starters it means that Puerto Ricans will need to start paying federal income taxes.

And yet the majority still voted in favor of the resolution. Yeah, I'm not really seeing anyone but the racists and some political lifers not wanting to accept PR.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 11:50:40 am »

I wonder what effect it will have on national elections. Five representatives and seven electoral votes- handy for the Democrats, certainly. I do wonder if it will slowly become a swing state due to being a tropical paradise people want to retire to.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 11:52:28 am »

I wonder what effect it will have on national elections. Five representatives and seven electoral votes- handy for the Democrats, certainly. I do wonder if it will slowly become a swing state due to being a tropical paradise people want to retire to.
it'll cause news people confusion when somecandidate wins from winning PR but they don't have PR on their electoral mapthing so the numbers don't add up.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 11:58:49 am »

Maybe the circle will grow on me, but for the more traditionally minded, there's this
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »

As pointful as this is, I'd bet people will still say the same thing if we actually did change the flag thusly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »

I dont see why Immigration is a bad thing... most of the people coming in just want a better life and to actually work for it.

If puerto rico wants to be a state and not (what is it again a US territory?) why not let it, alaska got statehood and it's full of questionable senators and oil... californias still a state and all its got going for it is oil and dumb actors... does puerto rico have oil? it'd probably get to be a state if it did, no matter how bad it is.

Hell we killed pluto's plated status why not make it the 51 or 57 or 116 states... Oh yeah, we're not in change of who says whats a state...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:10 pm »

Puerto Rico is for the moment a United States territory, and also one of five places in the entire universe that you can live and not be able to vote if you are an American citizen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:18 pm »

Anyway, I don't mean to hate on Betsy Ross or anything, but I prefer the space-filling rectangular star arrangements than the circular ones that leave those awkward blank blue corners.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16