Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 53493 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2013, 06:45:50 am »

I just want to say I am looking forward to Elite Dangerous far more then Star Citizen.

Also Star Citizen is looking a little bit pay 2 win.

I really like how Elite Dangerous is modelling damage on ships, you can just shoot the cargo hold of a ship and the cargo will fly out into space and you can see the internal damage of ships, hopefully it will be workable into the game and not just a concept but it sounds amazing.

I also like how ED is simulating the galaxy and I am looking forward to doing many gravitational slingshots.

I am 100% sure that Star Citizen will look better but I am also 100% that Elite Dangerous will have more features and I am a guy who is more interested in features then looks, definitely looking forward to both of them but easily Elite Dangerous more.

If I was one of those jerk type of people I would say the newest Star Citizen youtube video which describes how the economy will work is copying Elite Dangerous but I like it, it's the best system to use and I am glad both games are using that model.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2013, 12:54:20 pm »

They seem to be going for a situationist approach, which i appreciate. Anyone care to give a list of standout features?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

deMangler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2014, 05:37:00 pm »

They seem to be going for a situationist approach, which i appreciate. Anyone care to give a list of standout features?
It is exactly one year since this question was asked.
Happy anniversary, question.....
Best answer is the Design Decision Archive section of their forum here:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=36

The whole thing does seem to be shaping up nicely.
:)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2014, 05:53:06 pm »

I meant simulationist. Hah, convenient timing
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:09 pm »

game is looking good and more options leads to more gameplay possiblities

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 06:02:23 pm »

This does look awesome, the gameplay looks fun and the systems (from what little I've read/seen) sound pretty solid. I'm kinda put off by the multiplayer aspect, as I imagine they'll push that a lot in game (as it always nets more money) and so I guess that's my only major problem with it.

As far as Star Citizen goes - I'm incredibly skeptical and I can't really say why - they seem to be delivering on most things and all the trailers have impressed. As much as I hate to make personal remarks, I think part of it is Chris Roberts. He seems to be really arrogant about the whole thing (admittedly the insane success of the CF must have something to do with that) but more than anything he somehow just doesn't seem to come off as entirely genuine. Again, I can't put my finger on why, but whenever I watch his presentations/interviews, I get the exact same feelings you get when you talk to someone who you know hasn't done what they say they have or you know they can never deliver.

I know it sounds mean, and it's probably just the ambition which makes me feel that way. I'd love to hear from people who have had a chance with the initial modules.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2014, 07:20:41 pm »

I haven't been keeping up with this too much, but what I have seen looks pretty good. As with all space games these days, I'm interesting in what they end up doing with procedural systems and that sort of thing. Looking forward to getting my copy of it.

...snip...
That's the marketing. Unlike a lot of other kickstarters, Star Citizen has a dedicated marketing guy, David Swofford. There are also several people working on the website and ancillary content (jump point magazine, other lore infodumps), and a legion of artists. This is why Star Citizen has an order of magnitude more dosh.

Now, depending on your personal history, marketing either works or it doesn't. Personally, I started avoiding all news about Star Citizen when I saw the kickstarter hype train for it starting up; in large part because I've been burned by hype trains in the past. CR isn't independent of the hype train; he's the train's conductor. One of his most important roles is participating in the marketing. So if what he says often sounds like rehearsed marketing-speak, that's likely because it actually is. So YMMV with that one. But hey, you can't argue with results I suppose.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 06:01:48 am »

That's the marketing. Unlike a lot of other kickstarters, Star Citizen has a dedicated marketing guy, David Swofford. There are also several people working on the website and ancillary content (jump point magazine, other lore infodumps), and a legion of artists. This is why Star Citizen has an order of magnitude more dosh.

Now, depending on your personal history, marketing either works or it doesn't. Personally, I started avoiding all news about Star Citizen when I saw the kickstarter hype train for it starting up; in large part because I've been burned by hype trains in the past. CR isn't independent of the hype train; he's the train's conductor. One of his most important roles is participating in the marketing. So if what he says often sounds like rehearsed marketing-speak, that's likely because it actually is. So YMMV with that one. But hey, you can't argue with results I suppose.

Very good point, I think it's a lot of the use of buzzwords/terms which grate on me. However even when he's been showing off the videos 'naturally' it's grated a bit. Like there was one early video where he was sorta shouting at his staff and commanding them like he was some sort of military officer, which came across as a bit weird.

I don't know, I think I'm just expecting them to be a bit more humbled by how well the crowd funding has done rather than 'YES WE ARE AMAZING AND DESERVED EVERY PENNY OF YOUR MILLIONS'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2014, 06:28:55 am »

btoh star citizen and elite dangerous will get to market they have enough money to finish development, ED once it is out will get a lot more orders as well.  But unlike star citizen which is big on hype and player base, elite dangerous is going quite and in the background, getting on with its beta process and delivering all its promised as well

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2014, 04:46:06 pm »

So anyone here actually playing around with the Beta? I am okay with just watching it on youtubes while I wait for full release but the game does look pretty damn good so far and it seems to be going a lot faster and a lot better then star citizen with only a tiny amount of funding compared to SC.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 02:21:59 am »

Waiting for full release - supposedly they'll be asking fifty euros :(((

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2014, 05:56:41 pm »

I think people will be able to refund their games if the lack of fully offline gameplay is enough for them to not want or not be capable of playing the game.
It's pretty sucky, but it seems Frontier are pretty firm in this decision.

Also: ''Gamma'' phase on November 22nd, full release on the 16th of December. Will be interesting to see what they add in this time span. It is a good thing that they plan to keep add content...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2014, 06:02:29 pm »

Let me preface this by saying that Braben is a BRILLIANT engineer.  He CAN deliver and HAS delivered hugely successful products, just take a look at the Raspberry Pi.

Everyone loved Elite, it has a mythological status similar to Master of Orion, that you can't make a vaguely similar game now without it being dubbed an Elite Clone.  Great.

But Elite 4 was promised for decades.  There was no lack of support, no inkling that there wasn't a market for games like it, as games like it came out every few years and sold like hotcakes.  He just never agreed to a funding deal.  I'm not convinced that there was no funding, or that traditional publishing wouldn't support the game -- just that it wouldn't support it in the way he wanted.

Now, this is the crux of the thing.  A leader isn't someone who gets their way.  A leader is someone who empowers others to take successful actions towards a goal.  So what I mean is that I'm just not convinced that he can lead a team to make this game from the ground up.  It seems like he can produce great things, but that he probably is not the right kind of guy to actually be at the helm.

I'll be enthusiastic about being proven wrong, but if single player support is already gone and the preview videos already are displaying a disappointing level of arrogance, well...

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2014, 06:57:39 pm »

Ah.  A flavour of always-online.  I'm glad now that I didn't getaround to backing or buying ED earlier on.  I won't be purchasing at any near-future point.  Sigh.  Oh well, at least I didn't get burned with this one (unlike X Rebirth).

Seriously, all calculations done server-side?  No independent hostable server?  Communication with server required for every meaningful action (trading etc)?  Has the game dev world learned nothing from the debacle of SimCity?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2014, 11:43:01 pm »

All that talk about "procedural", and now it turns out they'll need massive storage to keep the galaxy working.

Elite fit 8 galaxies in 7 kilobytes of disk space! (well they were crappy square galaxies, Frontier had something like a realistic galaxy and it still didn't need to "save" all those planets anywhere).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23