Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 53496 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2014, 01:52:09 am »

And they limited it to 8 galaxies because they didn't want to terrify people with the real number of galaxies they could have included.

The thing is, the economy doesn't change at all, ever, in Frontier (or Elite either, does it?). Sadly, I never really played Elite, although I played the hell out of Frontier until I had all the best stuff in the game (and still couldn't destroy a space station with the most powerful weapon in the game, sadly).

Of course it's been a long time. I could be mistaken. IIRC you could buy things out in Frontier, but jumping took in-game time and it was based on planets having production and consumption so that you could always expect there to be a stock of certain things in certain places and a need for them in others (and the planet information thing told you about them).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:56:23 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2014, 09:10:16 am »

Really sad to hear this. I was really looking forward to ED. But now that the offline component is scrapped, it's time for me to bow out. It pains me, but the offline thing was the only thing I considered to be indispensable.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:32 am »

All I really needed to like this game was a Frontier with better combat and flight dynamics (less "newtonian" maybe, kinda like Independence War 2 handled it: newtonian only if you disabled the dampeners or thrusters or whatever. Closer to Elite), and with more of everything (more complex solar systems with detailed planets. And updated graphics.

Everyone wants to simulate "living" economies. These don't scale well to entire planets exporting/importing stuff (vs one player going to Diso and buying all the ancient Ouza tulips they can), they work fine with stuff like X3 where colonies are tiny with just a scattering of crappy factory stations that make 1 Meatsteak Cahoona per month :P

I already got that Wing Commander wossname Rob industries for that, and my rig can't even run it, lol...

Elite should be for Trading and Combat. If they want to keep track of which station has what stock they can just do it for the online version and just forget about it in the offline version.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2014, 11:07:13 am »

I'm not paying much attention, but it seems like offline versions have been scrubbed.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2014, 11:18:12 am »

I'm not paying much attention, but it seems like offline versions have been scrubbed.

Yes, that's what the last 8 posts have been referring to.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2014, 01:52:25 pm »

To my surprise there is no dedicaced thread on bay12 about it, i completely missed the news but for people interested during this summer Oolite 1.80 was released :
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=220862#p220862

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »

To my surprise there is no dedicaced thread on bay12 about it, i completely missed the news but for people interested during this summer Oolite 1.80 was released :
http://aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=220862#p220862

I have not been following development, but I think Pioneer might be the best developed Elite clone right now:  http://pioneerspacesim.net

Anyone have first hand experience and can compare Pioneer to Oolite?

Also, perpetually unfinished and more of an EV Nova clone than an Elite clone, there is NAEV:  http://blog.naev.org/  this scratches most of the Elite itches for me, even though it isnt a first person game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2014, 04:13:02 pm »

It's important to note that Pioneer is a clone of Frontier : Elite 2 (and Frontier First Encounter) , while Oolite is a clone of Elite 1

Elite 1 and its 2 sequels (FE2 and FFE) had different gameplay due to later games had newtonian physics+planet surfaces and solar systems, making so you can't really compare Pioneer and Oolite.

Oolite last time i played felt more complete as a game, and very close to what Elite 1 was (out of the obvious engine update), while Pioneer was still work in progress .

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2014, 04:16:37 pm »

There is a good Pioneer message board over at Space Sim Central that I watch, it seems to have come pretty far.

Also, I'm a whore for some Phys-Newtons.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2014, 04:20:05 pm »

Yes, the newtonians physics to me were simply more fun in FE2/FFE than the Elite 1 arcade ones, Pioneer does FE2/FFE controls nicely but out of exploring last time i played there wasn't much to do yet (maybe it improved on this, as it's been half a year last time i played) .

But still, my favorite space game remains Orbiter, newtonian fun and rather immersive simulation :)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77338.0

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 04:38:12 pm »

Newtonian physics usually meant that dogfighting consisted of accelerating into range of enemies (if you didn't they definitely would), try to exchange some lasers in the tiny window that you were in range, then trying desperately to brake and accelerate in the opposite position because everyone slingshotted out of range again. I didn't care much for it.

But I've seen newt. physics done in a more fun way, like having automatic thrusters that adjusted relative speeds and let you move in any direction (and could be turned off to do the slingshot effect above).

I also didn't care much that everything including fuel and equipment used cargo space, it made you fill your entire hold with shield generators if you wanted to survive. Segregating equipment space would have been preferable.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:39:51 pm by Sergius »

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »

I still think most of FE2/FFEs problems resulted from Braben not knowing how to fly it properly himself. The manual gives you exactly the wrong advice on how to fly in combat, and the game does not give you an indication of your velocity relative to target, which is the velocity you are interested in in a dogfight. That results in the jousting matches that get mentioned every time someone talks about space shooters with newtonian physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UMIbdN0UFE

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:22:42 pm by andrewas »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2014, 09:41:52 am »

It's important to note that Pioneer is a clone of Frontier : Elite 2 (and Frontier First Encounter) , while Oolite is a clone of Elite 1

Elite 1 and its 2 sequels (FE2 and FFE) had different gameplay due to later games had newtonian physics+planet surfaces and solar systems, making so you can't really compare Pioneer and Oolite.

Oolite last time i played felt more complete as a game, and very close to what Elite 1 was (out of the obvious engine update), while Pioneer was still work in progress .

To the person asking for the differences between Pioneer and Oolite, this post is pretty much this.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2014, 12:08:58 pm »

just installed the new Elite. Not sure I like it atm. doing basic stuff like traveling from one system to another and landing in a space station is much more effort than it is in Oolite.

Also i agree on the combat. I played the basic combat tutorial. took about 15 minutes to shoot down two fighters. Joust, joust joust. Also when i move my velocity into reverse then tried to switch it back into forward sometimes it would just stop and leave me hanging until i hammered the forward key a load. Graphically it is cool, and the way objects float in space is very immersive. The UI is terrible but sort of cool in its built into the cockpit style.

Anyone else playing? If so swap ids a form a group :).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »

I've been playing a boatload since getting this on Thursday. It made me pull out my HOTAS and even hack together some holders so I don't have to reach up to my desk to use them.

Complaints about it being a bit empty ring true, but I'm not even close to the point where it matters. I'm still puttering around in my starter ship, trying to not get eaten alive by bigger ships and trying to find a good system to call home. It's all so incredibly immersive ATM. The size of stars, planets with rings, space stations that rotate, the different thrusters. I'm loving it so much!

I'm really excited about the faction systems, but if I'm reading things correctly on the official forums, systems aren't flipping the way they should. The game seems like it should still be in beta, as there are a lot of missing features, but I haven't played anything this immersive, polished and stunning in a long time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23