Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Player  (Read 2973 times)

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Player
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »

So I've just started DF and love it. However I have had some problems. The main three are 1) When I hit about a 100 dwarves I run out of things to do. I have 3 forges 6 smelters 8 wood furnaces, miners, smoothers, etc. But I still usually have at least 20 I just can't find jobs with, I get a bit bored.
2) Getting a decent military. So around 30 immigrants I start making a squad, and then add to it as time goes by. I equip them with bronze weapons and hope for the best. They dont seem to raise beyond competent. Recently I had 2 sieges in a row. One was defeated with heavy casualties by my two full squads(marks and mixed melee), and the second had trolls that finished me off.
3) There are somethings that still elude me. Like how to get a outdoor fort built, and how to properly use magma.
Anyway, if anyone can help, that would be great. Oh, and small other thing, I never find iron. Ever.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
Re: New Player
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:12 pm »

To make an above ground fort, you need to construct things. To construct, press [b ] then [C]. Then there will be the things you can construct.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:08:31 pm »

I realize that. I make a wall, and then try to make a ramo leading up so I can construct another level, but I can never construct another level above.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:10:12 pm »

Were you trying to make a construction on a construction?
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:10:38 pm »

Well... you can't find Iron.  You smelt it from Hematite, Magnetite and Limonite.  So you've probably got the capacity to make it.
And check out the military screen, and set them to train.  Also, build them a training room.  Some Elves might tell you to use wood weapons to train (hippie scum) but real dwarves train with Candy weapons.
Oh, that's another thing to do once you get bored.  Go to the Circus.
I realize that. I make a wall, and then try to make a ramo leading up so I can construct another level, but I can never construct another level above.
Make floors behind the area you want the walls to go.  Walls need a walkable perimeter.
Oh, and you don't put walls on floors, in case you were.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »

I know all that. My dwarves still are far from becoming the Legendary Champions

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »

Well, as I said, if you want to really train your Dwarves--Dig Deeper!
And Adamantine is the best material.  You should gobble it all up.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »

When I hits high count of dwarves, I don't mind a lot of idlers since I tend to need a lot of them to just do cleaning up after sieges or during merchant trades. Or I just throw them into military and call it a day :D

Mixed weapon squads aren't good ideas in general, since they'll not be focused on one weapon. I've seen reports that having squad of 2 dwarves trains up much faster, but I've never used it myself. You might want to invest a bit into traps to back up your dwarves. Bronze is better than iron for weapons, and probably for armor, but steel trumps bronze easily.

'Proper' usage of magma to me is to use them in obsidian farm to make more shiny rocks or to run magma workshops. I don't bother trying to make a magma pumpstack :D

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Ramp This' why ramps aren't too useful in aboveground construction, it only allow your dwarves to go up to what's on top of the walls surrounding the ramp, not directly to the floor above. Stairs are generally better. But if you enjoys ramps, then this should help with directing it!

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 04:29:34 pm »

Thanks. Looking for some candy. On my current fort I have 25 layers of Tet and no other metal.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:32:20 pm »

Thanks. Looking for some candy. On my current fort I have 25 layers of Tet and no other metal.

Ore of copper and silver? That's pretty much perfect for crossbowiers!

And be very careful about digging too deep, beware the FUN!

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:34:02 pm »

I'll watch out ;)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »

Ore of copper and silver? That's pretty much perfect for crossbowiers!

And be very careful about digging too deep, beware the FUN!
He's bored!  He's hunting for !!FUN!!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:28 pm »

Silver Blunt weapons are just great, use your tetrahedrite.

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »

Blind cave ogre just wiped me out lol.

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:46:46 pm »

What the hell? Bugged. MY expedition leader has survived 3k hits, and now the troll is unconscious from over exertion.
Pages: [1] 2