Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The UberCorp Off-World Mining Division welcomes you to Jupiter!  (Read 3645 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
The UberCorp Off-World Mining Division welcomes you to Jupiter!
« on: November 05, 2012, 06:53:16 am »

Code: [Select]
Remote Power-On Rcvd - Code 21D2
Begin P.O.S.T.

Checking Memory … 12 TQ *PASS*
Primary Disk … Found! *PASS*
Secondary Disk … No Hardware Found! *Disabled*

Device Test
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 27 0 8086 2668 1458 A005 0403 Multimedia Device *PASS*
0 29 0 8086 2658 1458 2658 0C03 NUL Host Cntrlr *PASS*
0 31 2 8086 2651 1458 2651 1010 IUM Cntrlr *PASS*
1 0 0 10DE 0421 10DE 0479 0300 Display Cntrlr *PASS*
2 5 0 11AB 4320 1458 E000 0200 Network Cntrlr *PASS*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Boot

Xycom OS 3.4.12 Loading

5%...
25%...
50%...
75%...
100%...

Xycom OS Online

> Do(GalNet.sct)

Running GalNet.sct

Welcome to GalNet, your first and only source for high speed intra-solar communications!

You Have Mail!

It has been 10 solar hours since you last logged in.

Your search agents have found new articles on topics relevant to your interest. As a reminder, search agents are personalized to each individual and weighted based upon GalNet browsing and viewing history!

(+) Biosciences (18 articles)
(+) Offworld Mining (27 articles)
(+) Politics (32 articles)
(+) Pig Farming (79 articles)
(+) alt.scifi.alien.female.xxx (192,222,736 articles)

GalNet> Open Mail

You have (1) new mail!

To: Recipient
Subject: Job Offer

Greetings (Recipient),

This may be your lucky day! This automated mail has been generated in response to your interest in a position within UberCorp's (Off-World Mining) department. Earlier today during the disaster on (Jupiter Mining Platform 14), (5) positions became available for junior grade miners. Information regarding the position and requirements is included below.

-----
Position: Miner (Junior Grade)
Requirements: Basic knowledge of push-button controls, no sense of self-preservation.
-----

Should you decide that this position is right for you, please fill out the form attached to this mail. If selected, you will take part in a mandatory 1 hour virtual training session and then receive a ticket to fly first class to lovely Europa where you will be directed to your new job site and begin your exciting life of (Offworld Mining). Good luck!

Attachments: 1

GalNet.Mail> Open Attachment

GalNet.Mail> Send Reply...

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:38:19 pm by forsaken1111 »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: The UberCorp Off-World Mining Division needs YOU!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:03:06 am »

Oh, what the hell.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:11:00 am »

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:21:38 am »

Zarule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:22:13 am »

I don't think I will be able to trust any robots with this kind of a application form.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:39:30 am »

Oh, what the hell.

Greetings Mark Frentiss,

Your application has been reviewed and accepted. Upon reviewing your application we have the following concerns:

1. Measuring your height in meters reveals a need to over-compensate for something. Please ensure that you abide by all safety regulations and do not try to impress other employees by performing daring acts of bravado over the automated grinder.
2. We understand your distaste for space rations, but you will have to buck up kiddo. It ain't cheap shipping real pork and eggs out to the edge of space for my breakfast, so we have to make up the margin by buying bulk space rations for the crew. Next time I'm dining on a fine swedish pastry, I'll think of you.
3. Your inability to adhere to a strict safety code should not present a problem to the performance of your duties. In unrelated news, the premiums for UberCorp life insurance for individuals with your name has risen by 900%. Please ensure you file approproate beneficiary and next-of-kin information with the local UberCorp branch, and update all identification records so that we may identify your body should you suffer an unfortunate accident.

Thank you for applying to UberCorp. Your first class space ticket is attached to this message, please report to your nearest space hub for departure within the hour.

Greetings Anthony Engbrew!

Your application has been reviewed and accepted. Upon reviewing your application we have the following concerns:

1. We note that you are unsure about your answer to question 7, but answered yes anyway. This poses two problems. First, it means you are a dirty liar. If you knew what a rock was, you'd have said yes. If you did not, you'd have said no. Please ensure that all future communication with UberCorp management is truthful. Second, you really kind of need to know what rocks are. To that end, I have authorized you to take part in a 15 minute mandatory training seminar.
2. Due to your ability to follow a strict safety code, you have been designate Safety Monitor. Any employee accidents will reflect badly on your yearly performance overview, resulting in severely reduced pay.

Thank you for applying to UberCorp. Your first class space ticket is attached to this message, please report to your nearest space hub for departure within the hour.

Do (Rock_tng.sct)

Unable to find Rock_tng.sct! Defaulting to minerology.sct.

Registered completion of course. Congratulations Anthony Engbrew, you are now a certified mineralogy expert.

Greetings Trev "Trev" MacPhee!

1. Your nickname is the same as your first name. I believe you may not understand the purpose of a nickname. Because of this, you have been designated "Steve".
2. I see that you have never mined before. That is not a problem Steve! You will soon embark on the greatest journey of your life. In fact 76% of our employees remain in a mining career for the rest of their lives! To prepare you for this adventure, you will be taking our one hour virtual training session at the end of the application period. Thank you for your interest!

I don't think I will be able to trust any robots with this kind of a application form.

Greetings Mike Wolfe!

1. Mike, I feel we must address your fear of being horribly mangled by medical machinery. Mr. Surgeon, the automated medical bed, is your friend! He is there to mend your broken body after you accidentally fall into the automated recycler! Mr. Surgeon is a high-tech piece of machinery and he knows 14 ways to kill you using just a small puff of air, so please try not to anger him. So get over your fears Mike, and lie down on that bed. You'll feel right as rain!
2. Congratulations on your button-pressing experience! I am appointing you vice chairman in charge of button pressing for the mining platform you will be assigned to. Congratulations! This appointment does carry with it a small surcharge of ☼15 per cycle, but I think you'll agree that it is well worth it. And if you don't, well that doesn't matter because I already entered it into the record! Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:44:45 am by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:08 am »

Just looking for one more applicant folks. If we don't get all five soon though I'll just carry on.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: The UberCorp Off-World Mining Division needs YOU! (1 more player needed)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:59:20 am »

Greetings Jeremy Twoliss!

1. Your application is very vague about your physical appearance, which leads us to believe that you have some issues with your self-confidence. This is excellent news! A timid employee is a dedicated employee, and we expect at least 120% productivity from you once you arrive on-site!
2. Your answers to the questionnaire show a marked lack of incompetence. This does not bode well, because we have found that, statistically speaking, competent employees consistently rate lower on productivity evaluations and job satisfaction surveys.

(I'm doing the starting update now, will be a moment)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:01:33 pm by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:48:50 pm »

Each of you reports to a local space travel center and cashes in the ticket attached to the message you received. You walk up to the travel kiosk and press the button for Travel.

The screen flashes and words scroll.

Welcome to TravelCo!

Please input the travel code for your reservation.

> 854D76DAA54C6DB7E056E96F2D96075DCCBEDB07A18930A5D0AEB2E2B3F8F197

Reservation confirmed! You will be departing on flight 0xc00000e9 in 8 minutes.

Reservation Code: 854D76DAA54C6DB7E056E96F2D96075DCCBEDB07A18930A5D0AEB2E2B3F8F197
TravelCorp Flight 0xc00000e9
Booking Code: Q (Sub-coach, downgraded)
Seat: Cargo Hold, berth 12.

Please find in the dispensary slot a complimentary restraint device which you may use to lash
yourself to the cargo berth in order to avoid bruising, dismemberment, or death should some
cargo shift during the flight.

The slot opens and inside you find a coil of rope. You rush to the flight pad to find a rusty, ancient spaceship with its cargo loading bay open. It has a passenger entrance as well, but your ticket explicitly directs you to enter via the cargo hold. You make your way to Berth 12 and find four other people occupying the same berth, your fellow employees!

The cargo berth is nothing more than a large open area of metal decking between two large cargo containers. No amount of 'restraint' is going to help you if those massive containers shift in transit. Even if you planned to rig something up, you have no time to do so as the ship begins to rumble and takes off almost immediately.
The flight is long, tedious, and uneventful. You do not, in fact, die from shifting cargo. At one point you're fairly certain you saw a rat the size of a dog moving between containers, but that could just be due to the fact that the cargo area is only marginally pressurized and you're all suffering from mild hypoxia.

After an undeterminable amount of time, you arrive. A cheerful female synthesized voice says "Welcome to Jupiter Mining Platform 14! Please exit the cargo area immediately so that more valuable cargo may be off-loaded without employee safety incidents."

Seeing little choice, you five walk out and down the cargo ramp. You are inside a cramped cargo hold, there is one door to the left, and another to the right.. Each door is labeled in fourteen languages, none of them understandable by anyone here. The cheerful female voice speaks again. "Please proceed down the door on the left to begin the virtual training session. After the training session you will become acquainted with the mining equipment, and then have a light lunch followed by a dormancy period. Your personal items have been placed in your quarters."

Spoiler: Mark Frentiss (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Anthony Engbrew (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Steve (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mike Wolfe (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jeremy Twoliss (click to show/hide)

Do you proceed to the training session, or defy the voice and explore the mining platform?

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:11:09 am by forsaken1111 »

Zarule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The UberCorp Off-World Mining Division welcomes you to Jupiter!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »

"If that counts as first class then I can't wait to see the rest of this facility"

I proceed to the training session.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:34:13 pm by Zarule »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 01:06:15 pm »

waitlist, please.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 01:19:59 pm »

This looks interesting, waitlist please.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 01:43:27 pm »

Added you both.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 01:48:05 pm »

Proceed to the Training Facility.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!
Pages: [1] 2 3