Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do the Gods Exist Or Are They an In-game Lie?  (Read 4115 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Do the Gods Exist Or Are They an In-game Lie?
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:42:07 am »

Do you think that the gods in DF (apart from ARMOK obviously) are actual divine beings? I haven't figured it out, since there's stuff that speaks for and stuff that speaks against it. Firstly, many gods are actually historical characters that have attracted a cult following because of their deeds (which is usually killing a crapload of people). I'm not sure however if this is the case for every divinity.
But then there's also historical events where a god is SAID to curse someone. Is it just an explanation made up by "historians" (theoretical people writing this stuff in the game world), or is the legends mode completely trustworthy?
Lastly, has anyone read any entries about an entity "achieving godhood" or something?

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
Re: Do the Gods Exist Or Are They an In-game Lie?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:44:09 am »

I've never seen any sign of anything becoming a god.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:57:39 am »

they DO curse mortals...
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:00:31 am »

OR DO THEY? We'll never know.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:12:56 am »

Well, with vampire and wereism being entirely ( Or nearly so, I've not seen any transmission of either in Legends mode ) caused by deities, I'd have to say they exists, within the game :D

Then there're pretenders which's pretty much megabeast, titans ro escaped underworld creatures

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:47 am »

Didn't you use to be able to talk to gods in 40d?

... Not that they answered back.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:45:11 am »

How about if the curse bit is just an excuse? In-game, you can ass around in a temple, killing folk, vomiting all over it and raiding the treasures, and nothing happens (I think).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:50 am »

Well, with vampire and wereism being entirely ( Or nearly so, I've not seen any transmission of either in Legends mode ) caused by deities, I'd have to say they exists, within the game :D

Then there're pretenders which's pretty much megabeast, titans ro escaped underworld creatures

Megabeast arn't "Fake gods" they are more akin to Incarnate gods... especially the Titan.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:37:55 pm »

Yes, actual deities exist. They play no part in the world other than cursing people during worldgen who defile temples to be vampires or were-creatures, and leaving the Slabs laying around. However, Toady has said multiple times that they will play more of a role in later releases.
So for example, if you go defiling a temple in adventure mode, you run the risk of getting the smite.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »

Megabeast arn't "Fake gods" they are more akin to Incarnate gods... especially the Titan.

Considering how easy most of them are to kill, I'd say not! I will note that escaped HFS critters did used to have note about tricking people into believing it's one, and that most megabeasts/titans are just that strong against normal stuff in worldgen combat to terrorize people into worshipping it.

A bit nitpicky maybe, but when an accident in my fortress can off them when worldgen combat couldn't, I dunno :D

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 04:20:34 pm »

Considering how easy most of them are to kill, I'd say not! I will note that escaped HFS critters did used to have note about tricking people into believing it's one, and that most megabeasts/titans are just that strong against normal stuff in worldgen combat to terrorize people into worshipping it.

A bit nitpicky maybe, but when an accident in my fortress can off them when worldgen combat couldn't, I dunno :D

Worldgen combat fights one at a time. You'd need to break the accident into a bunch of smaller accidents and pit each accident against your false god one at a time, to be fair.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 04:55:59 pm »

Are you implying that Armok isn't a real-life god.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 06:14:43 pm »

Earlier today one of the sieges included someone described as a deity. Turns out he was a vampire. It seems he was just trying to convince others he was a god. After getting his ass kicked, he fled.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 08:50:11 pm »

Earlier today one of the sieges included someone described as a deity. Turns out he was a vampire. It seems he was just trying to convince others he was a god. After getting his ass kicked, he fled.

Puny god....

As for the topic at hand, I think it's not terribly farfetched, in DF, to say that gods might exist. This is, after all, a game with magic, werebeasts, vampires, demons, and zombies, so saying that gods exist isn't that much larger a leap. Especially since I imagine anti-theists in DF tend to get hit with lovely curses. Atheists, maybe not, but anti-theists? Yeah.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 02:03:25 pm »

Didn't you use to be able to talk to gods in 40d?
You still can actually. I believe the requirement is you have to get adopted into a religion by a high priest or something like that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2 3