Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do the Gods Exist Or Are They an In-game Lie?  (Read 4112 times)

5asdffdsa5

• Bay Watcher
  • that's no space station its a moon
    • View Profile
Re: Do the Gods Exist Or Are They an In-game Lie?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 02:49:57 pm »

one could argue that gods don't exist and werebeasts, and vampires are just experiencing a placebo effect.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 05:30:55 pm »

one could argue that gods don't exist and werebeasts, and vampires are just experiencing a placebo effect.
Woah, not a placebo effect for were-creatures. Those guys are regrowing limbs. Same with vampires, except the whole no eating thing. Rather it could just be that they've got whatever affliction they've got and the world sees it as a divine punishment, so they do too. It could just be some terrible ailment and they'll never know.
DF is nice like that.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »

Whilst it is possible that Toady is making a subtle statement on the inherently agnostic nature of divinity, I find this somewhat unlikely. Generally in DF, the answer to 'why doesn't X happen' is 'because Toady hasn't gotten around to it yet'

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:16 pm »

DWARF FORTRESS: The game where players discuss in-game theology.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 03:25:28 pm »

The gods of DF don't seem to be gods as we are used to them. They don't seem to have created the worlds they live in, or they'd be able to do more than just curse people, and to do even that they need a temple and worshippers in the first place, so they seem more like the Chaos gods of Warhammer, but not as imaginative.

Didn't you use to be able to talk to gods in 40d?
You still can actually. I believe the requirement is you have to get adopted into a religion by a high priest or something like that.
I've only managed that once, and the game froze when I tried to talk to the god, so I wasn't eager to repeat the experiment.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 10:21:15 am »

Gods in DF exist as much as anything. If I were to argue, they exist more than dwarves, humans etc.

Let me explain. Gods exist from the beginning of the world and they cannot disappear. They only lack bodies, but they have abilities beyond of many common creatures, like creation of slabs.

Common creatures are just population numbers, they are spawned from nothing in migrant waves and adventure mode. All those nameless professions in adv mode you encounter do not exisr, they are created when you talk to them and the game generates their name.

So from the logical point of view, only historical figures exist, everything else is just numbers. And gods ARE historical figures.

The whole "pretends to be a god" is a different issue, it's just clever hist. figures abusing the fact that real gods cannot manifest real bodies.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 03:27:30 pm »

I view gods, titans, and forgotten beasts like nature spirits. You know the movie Princess Mononoke? Kinda like that.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 01:09:09 am »

I have to admit, it'd be nice for the dwarven deities to grant blessings to your warriors when fighting enemies hated by the Gods...raiding Hell with a troop of dwarven warriors would be that much more satisfying.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 04:20:15 am »

I like the gods when they act as little as possible. If they start being able to act more I'd like to be able to kill them.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

As far as I know these so called gods have randomly generated names every time and represent something different,so the probability of them existing (if one) in the real world without believing in religion is very slim (we may never know)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »

As far as I know these so called gods have randomly generated names every time and represent something different,so the probability of them existing (if one) in the real world without believing in religion is very slim (we may never know)
But it stands to reason these Gods are supposedly interacting with the world's inhabitants. Curses and the like. Think Ancient Greek Gods instead of Mary Sue Gods. They could very much exist and just be another one of the denizens that resides in what is known as [save folder 1]

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 01:47:29 pm »

I think he meant as in existing in the real world.

IOW, he totally missed the context of the thread.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 02:18:36 pm »

But it stands to reason these Gods are supposedly interacting with the world's inhabitants. Curses and the like. Think Ancient Greek Gods instead of Mary Sue Gods. They could very much exist and just be another one of the denizens that resides in what is known as [save folder 1]

That's deep Whisper's,that's deep

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 03:50:11 pm »

I believe that gods only exist if dwarves (and other sentients) believe in them. The Great Gods have many followers. As fewer and fewer dwarves and other people believe in them, they get smaller and smaller. When no one believes in them anymore, they disappear. That's what I believe.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »

When a dwarf enter a martial trance it is it magic or is it some sort of blessing where a god manifests power in the dorf?
Pages: 1 [2] 3