Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rampant interbreeding?  (Read 3318 times)

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rampant interbreeding?
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:10:58 pm »

I saw something in a thread earlier (I forget where) that said someone was looking through Legends and noticed that there was a very 'unique' family tree. One in which a dwarf's wife was also his cousin, his other cousin was also his uncle, stuff like that.

That got me thinking, how feasible would it be to somehow switch off migrant waves and start a fortress, with the only population increase coming from your original seven dwarves interbreeding?

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant interbreeding?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:14:05 pm »

Quite possible. All you really need are at least two couples, and a high baby/child cap. The children in one family will marry the children of the other family, and then you're off. The only rule dwarves seem to follow is "no marrying siblings" and "must be within non-creepy age range".

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »

I can't answer your question, only suggest that the fort should be settled in The Bejeweled Incest.

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:53 pm »

If I can find a way to shut off migrants or otherwise prevent migrant waves from coming at all, I'm going to see just how far I can get doing this.

Come to think of it, the population growth would be made even more slow because of the "non-creepy age range" requirement. At the beginning, atleast. Dwarves become able to start families at twelve, don't they? Or is that just humans?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 05:19:11 pm »

Dwarves reach full maturity at 12.

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »

So for the first 12 years, if I'm lucky, the highest population I could have would be 10-12 ish. Until the first wave of babies get old enough to start making babies.

-EDIT: Which really, it'd still just be the original 7 since kids/babies are mostly useless.

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:38:13 pm »

I use Lazy Newb Pack, and I can use that to easily lower my population cap to 1. That should, in theory, stop migrants, but I read that it doesn't stop your existing dwarves from having babies (assuming you don't lower the child cap, too.)

I saw somewhere that the first two migrant waves are hardcoded. So I might just have to make a 'fun' entrance hall for those waves if and when they do come.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 05:43:42 pm »

You don't have to use any third party programs, just edit the init file.

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

That's true. It was just more convenient since I already had the program.

Anyone happen to know if the two first migrant waves being hardcoded is true? And if so, is there a way I can disable even them in the init file?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:57:26 pm »

Setting the max population to 1 might disable it, but other than that I don't think there's a way to do it in the init files. I say just lower the max population, then embark on a river and make an easy drowning chamber for the first two waves.

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »

Will do! I'll post here with updates when I get started.

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 07:47:28 pm »

In case you're lazy and/or want to save time, you could change the dwarven biology. Namely remove the line [BABY:1] and change [CHILD:12] to [CHILD:1].
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 07:50:19 pm »

If you generate a world where dwarves go extinct, only the hard-coded migrants will show up. There's likely a guide for that somewhere (search for "extinct dwarves"?) but I do know that dwarves only settle in mountains, so if you gen a world with a low maximum altitude, that'll do it. I'm not sure how low you need.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »

If you generate a world where dwarves go extinct, only the hard-coded migrants will show up. There's likely a guide for that somewhere (search for "extinct dwarves"?) but I do know that dwarves only settle in mountains, so if you gen a world with a low maximum altitude, that'll do it. I'm not sure how low you need.

That will prevent dwarves from spawning, which will make an adventurer-only world.

ChaoticMushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 10:02:51 pm »

I've tinkered around a bit trying to get a dwarf-less world that could still be played, haven't been successful. I'm sure there's a way, I think I've seen it done. I'm just not great with the custom world generator.
Pages: [1] 2